Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:38 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,350,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
WHAT???? What are you talking about? "Seek to dispute the scriptures?" Are you kidding me? I asked a legitimate question that I truly have wondered about. Isn't this a discussion forum where people come to discuss their Christian beliefs? I'd like to know if you are comfortable with the belief that you'll go to hell if you have sin at your death, yet sins of omission are sins - right? Why can't you just answer the question?
I noticed he's replied to you by bashing you with a few scriptures, but he still has not answered your question because he doesn't have an answer, he's snared by his own belief.

It's confidence and glorying in the flesh and nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 11:04 AM

45,705 posts, read 27,308,055 times
From the OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Beloved, we must continue in obedience if we want to retain our salvation. You can't belong to Jesus any other way.
If it is without works that you gain salvation, then you can't lose your salvation because of works (or lack of works).

Old 04-05-2011, 11:17 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,954,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If it is without works that you gain salvation, then you can't lose your salvation because of works (or lack of works).
Obedience to God is not works, but one's reasonable service.

Romans 12:1 - I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Obedience to God is not works, but one's reasonable service.

Romans 12:1 - I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Reasonable service is not works? If you do something, it's a work. This is not difficult.

Eph. 2:10 - For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Reasonable service is not works? If you do something, it's a work. This is not difficult.

Eph. 2:10 - For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.
They're not "our" works.

Notwithstanding, I am not certain of what you are alluding to; but, if one does not obey, that soul will be rejected on the last day. The results of Adam and Eve's willful sin should be a clear warning to that fact.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:24 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,115,770 times
Quote:
1 John 5
[18] We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.
[19] And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.
[20] And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I noticed he's replied to you by bashing you with a few scriptures, but he still has not answered your question because he doesn't have an answer, he's snared by his own belief.

It's confidence and glorying in the flesh and nothing more.
You're right pcamps.

"Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit widows and orphans in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world." (James 1:27)

Old 04-05-2011, 12:28 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,029,457 times
Quote:
1 John 5
[18] We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.
[19] And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.
[20] And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
So you are saying that you were at some point 'born again' and have never sinned since that time?

What you fail to understand is that you have TWO natures warring with each other, one is the 'carnal man', also called the flesh and "he" wars against the 'spiritual man' who is born of the Spirit of God. This war will continue until the moment you die physically. Your "earth" is the battlefield.
This battle is foreshadowed throughout the scriptures, for example in the story of Jacob and Esau, one born of the bondwoman, one born of the free woman. (Jerusalem above is free and is the mother of us all). You mistakenly think that you need to separate yourself from those who you consider "sinners" in order to gain God's approval. Nothing could be further from the truth. I hope you are delivered from this delusion in this lifetime, but it is up to God whether or not you are given eyes to see what is going on in these matters.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:32 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,141,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
So you are saying that you were at some point 'born again' and have never sinned since that time?

What you fail to understand is that you have TWO natures warring with each other, one is the 'carnal man', also called the flesh and "he" wars against the 'spiritual man' who is born of the Spirit of God. This war will continue until the moment you die physically. Your "earth" is the battlefield.
This battle is foreshadowed throughout the scriptures, for example in the story of Jacob and Esau, one born of the bondwoman, one born of the free woman. (Jerusalem above is free and is the mother of us all). You mistakenly think that you need to separate yourself from those who you consider "sinners" in order to gain God's approval. Nothing could be further from the truth. I hope you are delivered from this delusion in this lifetime, but it is up to God whether or not you are given eyes to see what is going on in these matters.

Wow, awesome, lightbulb moment! Thankyou for posting that!

Old 04-05-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
They're not "our" works.

Notwithstanding, I am not certain of what you are alluding to; but, if one does not obey, that soul will be rejected on the last day. The results of Adam and Eve's willful sin should be a clear warning to that fact.
So whose reasonable service does Rom. 12:1 speak of? Is it ours or Christ's?

Is the reasonable service ours, and works Christ's? This makes no sense.

--------------------------------

The obedience that saves is obedience to 1 John 3:23.

1 John 3:23 - This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us.

This is not works.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:11 PM

Ezekiel 18
[20] The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.
[21] But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.
[22] All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live.
[23] Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?
[24] But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity