Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 04:02 PM

309 posts, read 362,974 times

Advertisements

I thought these two replies merited a Thread to itself on the Greek adjective "aionios".

ADJECTIVES

Possibly the best way to define an Adjective is a word that is describing something that is “of or pertaining to its noun”. This can be tested by looking up adjectives in dictionaries. You will undoubtedly come across definitions that say “of or pertaining/relating to” its NOUN counterpart. When it comes to the Greek adjective for “aion”, it is just as easy to do. The adjective “aionios” describes something that is “of or pertaining to” an aion.

Something that is ignored, when debating on this word, is simple grammar. Grammar does NOT allow an adjective to take on a “larger” meaning than its Noun counterpart. This is basic grammar. Knowing this, one should be able to write a sentence using an adjective (say…monthly) and its noun counterpart (month), and BOTH sentences would mean the EXACT SAME thing. For instance…

(Adj) I paid my monthly bills today.
(Noun) Today I paid my bills for the month.

BOTH sentences above are conveying the EXACT SAME thing. Lets see more…

(Adj) I am an American citizen.
(Noun) I am a citizen of America.

(Adj) This is an oceanic fish.
(Noun) This fish is from the ocean.

(Adj) He took fatherly advice.
(Noun) He took the advice of his father.

Again, BOTH (Adj and Noun) sentences are conveying the exact same thing. But take your attention to the Noun sentences and notice the underlined words. This is very basic, for they actually "difine" what an adject is, there in the sentence itself. We are seeing the words “of”….”from the”….”for the” NOUN. In a lot of cases, the adjective is just a shorter way to write a sentence without using these type of words (..if you are charged for each word when you put an ad in the paper, use a lot of adjectives to save money). So in short, an adjective is “of or pertaining unto/to” the NOUN. Its that simple.

The Greek Adjective “aionios”

Now back to the adjective form for “aion”. Do the scriptures show examples of Noun sentences and Adjective sentences that mean the SAME thing. Why yes they do. Between the Greek NT and the Lxx, I have found several Morphological forms of the adjective “aionios” (αἰώνια, αἰωνίαν, αἰωνίοις, αἰώνιον, αἰώνιός, αἰωνίου, αἰωνίους, αἰωνίων, αιωνιοι, αιωνιας). Below I have listed some of these adjectives of “aion”. I will also be using the Greek of the Lxx and NT, with the renderings in the CLV, KJV, and YLT translations.

**NOTE** Pay close attention here where the Lxx or Greek NT show an ADJECTIVE, but notice the translations that show NOUNS instead of the Adjective. (In each case, I will underline the noun phrase and/or the adjective i a different translation of the SAME verse)

Lxx ADJECTIVE “αιωνια”

Psa 77:5
  • (CLV) years of the eons (noun)
  • (KJV) years of ancient times.
  • (YLT) years of the ages. (noun)
Lxx Adj “αιωνιον”

Job 22:15
  • (CLV) path of the eon (noun)
  • (KJV) the old way
  • (YLT) path of the age (noun)
Dan 9:24
  • (CLV) righteousness of the eons (noun)
  • (KJV) everlasting righteousness
  • (YLT) righteousness age-during
Isa 33:14
  • (CLV) glowings eonian
  • (KJV) everlasting burnings
  • (YLT) burnings of the age (noun)
Lxx ADJECTIVE “αιωνιων”

Isa 63:11
  • (CLV) days of the eon (noun)
  • (KJV) days of old (noun)
  • (YLT) days of old (noun)
Greek NT ADJECTIVE “αιωνιων”

2Ti 1:9
  • (CLV) before times eonian
  • (KJV) before the world began,
  • (YLT) before the times of the ages, (noun)
Lxx ADJECTIVE “αιωνιος”

Isa 40:28
  • (CLV) Elohim eonian
  • (KJV) everlasting God
  • (YLT) God of the age (noun)
Greek Adj “αιωνιοις”

Rom 16:25
  • (CLV) times eonian
  • (KJV) since the world began,
  • (YLT) times of the ages (noun)
Notice that for a translation to use its NOUN counterpart of the adjective, then we see what we have been seeing all along which is “of the age…..of the eon….of the ages….of old….of the eons….of ancient times”. As said before, an adjective is “of/from/for or pertaining/relating to” its Noun.

But does this even work the other way around? Below are some 50 verses that have the Greek rendering as “εις τον αιωνα”, which uses the NOUN counterpart, and it can be literally translated “of/from/for the αιωνα”.

**NOTE** Now notice that the Lxx uses Nouns here, but we will see that some render it with the ADJECTIVE form instead.

Lxx Singular Noun “αιωνα”

Exo 29:9
  • (CLV) eonian statute
  • (KJV) perpetual statute
  • (YLT) statute age-during
Exo 40:15
  • (CLV) eonian priesthood
  • (KJV) everlasting priesthood
  • (YLT) priesthood age-during
Lev 3:17
  • (CLV) eonian statute
Deu 13:16
  • (CLV) eonian barrow
  • (KJV) an heap for ever
  • (YLT) a heap age-during
Deu 15:17/ 1Sa 27:12
  • (CLV) eonian servant
  • (KJV) servant for ever
  • (YLT) servant age-during
Jos 8:28
  • (CLV) a heap eonian
  • (KJV) an heap for ever
Psa 73:12
  • (CLV) eonian, who make their estate huge
  • (KJV) who prosper in the world
  • (YLT) ones of the age
Psa 89:2
  • (CLV) Eonian benignity
  • (KJV) built up for ever
  • (YLT) To the age is kindness built
Psa 100:5 / Psa 106:1 / Psa 107:1/ Psa 118:1, 2, 3, 4, 29 / Psa 136:1-26
  • (CLV) His benignity is eonian
  • (KJV) his mercy is everlasting
  • (YLT) to the age His kindness
Psa 117:2
  • (CLV) faithfulness is eonian
  • (KJV) the truth….endureth for ever
  • (YLT) the truth….is to the age!
Psa 119:142, 144
  • (CLV) eonian righteousness
  • (KJV) everlasting righteousness.
  • (YLT) righteousness to the age (doesn’t have ‘to the age’ in v144)
Psa 119:160
  • (CLV) ordinances are eonian
  • (KJV) judgments endureth for ever
  • (YLT) to the age is every judgment
Isa 44:7
  • (CLV) eonian people
  • (KJV) ancient people
  • (YLT) people of antiquity
Jer 51:26, 62
  • desolations eonian
  • (KJV) desolate for ever
  • (YLT) desolations age-during
Here are a few examples that use the PLURAL Noun “αιωνων in the Greek NT, but it is translated with an ADJECTIVE by the KJV.

1Ti 1:17
  • (CLV) King of the eons
  • (KJV) King eternal
  • (YLT) King of the ages
Eph 3:11
  • (CLV) purpose of the eons
  • (KJV) eternal purpose
  • (YLT) purpose of the ages
What has been shown so far should be sufficient enough to show that the Greek adjective “aionios” (and its varying renderings) simply means “of or pertaining to” its Noun, for once again, we are seeing those words “of the age(s)”…”of the eon(s)”…”for the age(s)/eon(s)”…etc. It should be again noted, that one could write a sentence using either the Noun or the Adjective, and EITHER way, it would mean the SAME thing. Another glaring truth is that the Hebrew OT is virtually VOID of adjectives. So we know that if the Adjective was used in the Lxx, then it was to convey the SAME thought of the Hebrew Nouns. There is just no disputing this.

Some people debate that the word “aion” means “eternity”. There are two problems with this assumption. 1) there are scriptures that state there are “beginnings to aions”…”ends to aions”…”after the aions”….”past aions”….”future aions”. If aion means eternity then it cannot have beginnings, endings, pasts, etc. 2) the simple fact that there are PLURAL aions should be telling to anyone that knows basic grammar. There can only be ONE eternity. So in effect, the KJV has translated the noun “eternitIES” (PLURAL) into the adjective “eternal” (1Ti 1:17, Eph 3:11).

In my opinion, two of the biggest hang ups that keep people from accepting that the word “aion” simply means age/eon, whether one of quantity or quality, is 1) when it describes such things as “life”…”God”…”God’s glory”…etc. But when describing these things, the definition of an Adjective STILL remains that same (of or pertaining/relating to). The renderings would still read much in the same way, as such:

“life of/for/unto the age(s)”
“God of/for/unto the age(s)”
“glory of/for/unto the ages(s)”
“punishment of/for/unto to the age(s)”
“fire of/for/unto to the age(s)”

And 2) people have been reading a translation that has the word “eternal” for such a long time that it is STAMPED into their head that, this is what the word Hebrew word “olam” and the Greek word “aion” mean in those instances. We can’t really blame them though, because most of them do not know that these words are translated many different ways from the Hebrew and Greek. When these words are translated with an “eternal” tone, we see, in a lot of cases, the Noun it describes obviously did NOT last for “eternity” (i.e. the smoke of Sodom and Gomorrah, the Priesthood, etc.).

Of the over the 430 times the Hebrew NOUN “olam” occurs in the bible the KJV translates it:

“ever” 269 times, ”everlasting” 64 times, “old” 26 times, “perpetual” 22 times, “never” 16 times, “ancient” 6, “world” 4, “always” 3, “long” 3, “alway” 2, “any” 1, “beginning” 1, “continuance” 1, “eternal” 1, “lasting” 1, “without” 1, “time” 1 times

Notice the underlined words. In MOST cases, they are used as English ADJECTIVES in the scriptures to render Hebrew NOUNS.

Furthermore, of the over 120 occurrences of the Greek NOUN “aion”, the KJV has translated it:

“ever” 72 times, “world” 37 times, “never” 8 times, “evermore” 3, “ages” 2, “eternal” 2, “worlds” 2, “course” 1

When studying the PLURAL forms of these words (olam/aion), you would find that the KJV blatantly translates Plural renderings (i.e. 1Ki 8:13, 2Ch 6:2, Psa 61:4, Rom 9:5, 1Co 2:7), but with English words that are in the Singular form, NOT the Plural. Now it is one thing to translate a Singular Heb/Gk noun with yet another Singular English noun, but when they translated a Plural Heb/Gk noun with yet the SAME SINGULAR English noun, it becomes quite deceptive to the reader. For example, EVERY instance of the Greek word “aion” in the book of Revelations is in the PLURAL form, but the KJV has translated it in EVERY occurrence with an English word that is in the SINGULAR form. This should be an eye opener to some people.

Now, if one wants to express, that such renderings as “forever and ever” in the KJV is emphatic for eternity, then I urge you to go to the following thread to see how weak this arguement is.
//www.city-data.com/forum/16865625-post1.html

When a person, such as myself, expresses that the Gk adjective “aionios” NEVER means eternal, there are a few arguments that arise from others:
“Well are you saying that God doesn’t live forever?” (Gen 21:33, Rom 16:26)

“Christ’s Kingdom does not last forever” (2Pe 1:11)
“If you say the punishments are temporary, then the life we receive is TEMORARY also, because the same word to describes both” (Mat 25:46)

This is a normal response when one actually THINKS the word “aionios” means “eternal”. What they and some of the translators, don’t understand is the Gk adjective is describing what God is “OF”. He is the “God OF THE ages/aions”. This is even done by the KJV in verse 1Ti 1:17 and Eph 3:11, where the Gk noun is clearly in the PLURAL, but the KJV translates it “eternal”. Just how many “eternities” are there? The phrase “eonian God” simply means “God OF THE eon(s)”. Nothing more and nothing less. Writing it either way means the EXACT same thing. Now, one could argue that it could mean “God OF Eternity”. That works out ok, until we get to the Plural forms of “aion”, for the same person will NOT say “God of EternitIES”.

Eonian Life: after eons end, we will receive immortality. There will be an “end” to humanity’s “age” of mortality. Many don’t understand this. That which they say is “eternal life” will END. Likewise, Christ’s reign will END (1Co 15:25-28), then He will hand his Kingdom unto His Father. Most in UR understand that “eonian Life” and “given immortality” as being two totally different things. Most of them in Christianity, on the other hand, believe they are the SAME thing.

It is when the adjective describes God or His character that many don’t want to accept that “aionios” does NOT mean eternal. But again, the adjective is describing WHAT He is a God “OF”.

Even some in UR maintain that when the word is used in context with God or His character, than it must mean eternal. To think this way is to allow the True Eternalness of God to force the definition of a word. It is like saying “the eternal Eternal God”, because God has an eternal nature, but “eonian Levitical Priesthood”, because it did not last forever. But, the word is not describing how long God is going to live, rather it is describing what He is God “OF”. Fact is, it does not matter if the adjective is describing something of an eternal nature or not. We need not do such things. The Noun rendering is simply “God of the age(s)” or the like. So, as the scripture has shown...

The adjective AIONIOS clearly is equivalent to "of or pertaining to" the aion(s)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 04:03 PM

309 posts, read 362,974 times
The PLURAL Adjective

I have said before that an adjective does not have a Plural form. The adjective sentence…

“Hand me the battery case”

…can be written in its noun form in two different ways.

“Hand me the case for the battery” (Singular)
“Hand me the case for the batteries” (Plural)

It is easy to see that when the adjective phrase is used, the reader does not know whether the Singular word “battery” is meant or the Plural word “batteries” is meant. In the English there are no Plural Adjectives.

In the Greek, there IS such a thing as a Plural adjective though, but you still lose the Plurality in the Adjective itself, as seen above. You will see that, in the Greek, it only shows up Plural when it is describing a Plural Noun. So the Plural Adjective has nothing to do with Plural “aions”. All the Greek adjectives below are in the Plural form…

αἰώνια (aiōnia)

Greek NT: 2Co 4:18 “eonian thingS”

LXX: Psa 77:5 “eonian yearS”; Pro 22:28 “eonian landmarkS”; Pro 23:10 “eonian landmarkS”; Eze 36:2 “eonian high placeS”;

αἰωνίοις (aiōniois)

Greek NT: Rom 16:25 “eonian timeS”
LXX: Mic 2:9 “eonian gloryS”;

αἰωνίους (aiōnious)

Greek NT: Luke 16:9 “eonian tentS”
LXX: Gen 9:12 “eonian generationS”; Jer 6:16 “eonian pathS”; Jer 18:15 “eonian pathS”;

αἰωνίων (aiōniōn)

Greek NT: 2 Timothy 1:9 “eonian timeS”; Titus 1:2 “eonian timeS”
LXX: Psa 76:4 “eonian mountainS”; Isa 63:11 “eonian dayS”;

So we are seeing a Plural Greek Adjective, only because it is describing Plural Nouns. Not because it is talking of Plural “aions”. For example, notice how the KJV translates the following verse…

(Isa 26:4..KJV) …… for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:

Looking past the issue that the KJV translates it with the adjective “everlasting”, I would just like it to be noticed that it is in the Singular form (as English always would be), and it is describing the Singular Hebrew Noun (tsur), with a meaning of “strength, mighty, rock, etc”. Likewise, it is in the Singular form in the LXX as well.

(Isa 26:4…LXX) …….ὁ θεὸς ὁ μέγας ὁ αἰώνιος (Singular Form)

Like the Greek adjective being in the Plural form, because it describes a Plural noun, here we see it is in the Singular form, simply because it is describing the Singular Noun for “rock”. It gets interesting, though, when we see other literal translations, like the CLV or YLT, that use the Noun form instead of the Adjective form. In both translations, we see the Plural Nouns “eons” and “ages”.

(CLV) ……. For in Yah, Yahweh is a Rock for the eons."

(YLT) ……. For in Jah Jehovah is a rock of ages,

We know the Plural here is correct, because the Hebrew text shows the Noun “olam” in its Plural form (olamim). This is just a good example of losing the Plurality of a Noun when using its Adjective counterpart. So when reading an Adjective, we have no idea whether its Noun counterpart is in the Singular or the Plural. Now, if the Noun the Adjective was describing in Isa 26:4 was in the Plural form (rockS), then the Adjective in the LXX would, indeed, be in the Plural form as well.

Last edited by joeallcomm; 04-02-2011 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: fix text

Old 04-02-2011, 07:56 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,126,771 times
Good stuff Joe!

Old 04-02-2011, 08:29 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Good stuff Joe!
"Having balanced the tide; hovering over the waters."

...with poise!

Old 04-03-2011, 11:18 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeallcomm View Post
I thought these two replies merited a Thread to itself on the Greek adjective "aionios".

ADJECTIVES

Possibly the best way to define an Adjective is a word that is describing something that is “of or pertaining to its noun”. This can be tested by looking up adjectives in dictionaries. You will undoubtedly come across definitions that say “of or pertaining/relating to” its NOUN counterpart. When it comes to the Greek adjective for “aion”, it is just as easy to do. The adjective “aionios” describes something that is “of or pertaining to” an aion.

Something that is ignored, when debating on this word, is simple grammar. Grammar does NOT allow an adjective to take on a “larger” meaning than its Noun counterpart. This is basic grammar. Knowing this, one should be able to write a sentence using an adjective (say…monthly) and its noun counterpart (month), and BOTH sentences would mean the EXACT SAME thing. For instance…

(Adj) I paid my monthly bills today.
(Noun) Today I paid my bills for the month.

BOTH sentences above are conveying the EXACT SAME thing. Lets see more…

(Adj) I am an American citizen.
(Noun) I am a citizen of America.

(Adj) This is an oceanic fish.
(Noun) This fish is from the ocean.

(Adj) He took fatherly advice.
(Noun) He took the advice of his father.

Again, BOTH (Adj and Noun) sentences are conveying the exact same thing. But take your attention to the Noun sentences and notice the underlined words. This is very basic, for they actually "difine" what an adject is, there in the sentence itself. We are seeing the words “of”….”from the”….”for the” NOUN. In a lot of cases, the adjective is just a shorter way to write a sentence without using these type of words (..if you are charged for each word when you put an ad in the paper, use a lot of adjectives to save money). So in short, an adjective is “of or pertaining unto/to” the NOUN. Its that simple.

The Greek Adjective “aionios”

Now back to the adjective form for “aion”. Do the scriptures show examples of Noun sentences and Adjective sentences that mean the SAME thing. Why yes they do. Between the Greek NT and the Lxx, I have found several Morphological forms of the adjective “aionios” (αἰώνια, αἰωνίαν, αἰωνίοις, αἰώνιον, αἰώνιός, αἰωνίου, αἰωνίους, αἰωνίων, αιωνιοι, αιωνιας). Below I have listed some of these adjectives of “aion”. I will also be using the Greek of the Lxx and NT, with the renderings in the CLV, KJV, and YLT translations.

**NOTE** Pay close attention here where the Lxx or Greek NT show an ADJECTIVE, but notice the translations that show NOUNS instead of the Adjective. (In each case, I will underline the noun phrase and/or the adjective i a different translation of the SAME verse)

Lxx ADJECTIVE “αιωνια”

Psa 77:5
  • (CLV) years of the eons (noun)
  • (KJV) years of ancient times.
  • (YLT) years of the ages. (noun)
Lxx Adj “αιωνιον”

Job 22:15
  • (CLV) path of the eon (noun)
  • (KJV) the old way
  • (YLT) path of the age (noun)
Dan 9:24
  • (CLV) righteousness of the eons (noun)
  • (KJV) everlasting righteousness
  • (YLT) righteousness age-during
Isa 33:14
  • (CLV) glowings eonian
  • (KJV) everlasting burnings
  • (YLT) burnings of the age (noun)
Lxx ADJECTIVE “αιωνιων”

Isa 63:11
  • (CLV) days of the eon (noun)
  • (KJV) days of old (noun)
  • (YLT) days of old (noun)
Greek NT ADJECTIVE “αιωνιων”

2Ti 1:9
  • (CLV) before times eonian
  • (KJV) before the world began,
  • (YLT) before the times of the ages, (noun)
Lxx ADJECTIVE “αιωνιος”

Isa 40:28
  • (CLV) Elohim eonian
  • (KJV) everlasting God
  • (YLT) God of the age (noun)
Greek Adj “αιωνιοις”

Rom 16:25
  • (CLV) times eonian
  • (KJV) since the world began,
  • (YLT) times of the ages (noun)
Notice that for a translation to use its NOUN counterpart of the adjective, then we see what we have been seeing all along which is “of the age…..of the eon….of the ages….of old….of the eons….of ancient times”. As said before, an adjective is “of/from/for or pertaining/relating to” its Noun.

But does this even work the other way around? Below are some 50 verses that have the Greek rendering as “εις τον αιωνα”, which uses the NOUN counterpart, and it can be literally translated “of/from/for the αιωνα”.

**NOTE** Now notice that the Lxx uses Nouns here, but we will see that some render it with the ADJECTIVE form instead.

Lxx Singular Noun “αιωνα”

Exo 29:9
  • (CLV) eonian statute
Exo 40:15
  • (CLV) eonian priesthood
  • (KJV) everlasting priesthood
  • (YLT) priesthood age-during
Lev 3:17
  • (CLV) eonian statute
Deu 13:16
  • (CLV) eonian barrow
  • (KJV) an heap for ever
Deu 15:17/ 1Sa 27:12
  • (CLV) eonian servant
  • (KJV) servant for ever
  • (YLT) servant age-during
Jos 8:28
  • (CLV) a heap eonian
  • (KJV) an heap for ever
Psa 73:12
  • (CLV) eonian, who make their estate huge
  • (KJV) who prosper in the world
  • (YLT) ones of the age
Psa 89:2
  • (CLV) Eonian benignity
  • (KJV) built up for ever
  • (YLT) To the age is kindness built
Psa 100:5 / Psa 106:1 / Psa 107:1/ Psa 118:1, 2, 3, 4, 29 / Psa 136:1-26
  • (CLV) His benignity is eonian
  • (KJV) his mercy is everlasting
  • (YLT) to the age His kindness
Psa 117:2
  • (CLV) faithfulness is eonian
  • (KJV) the truth….endureth for ever
  • (YLT) the truth….is to the age!
Psa 119:142, 144
  • (CLV) eonian righteousness
  • (KJV) everlasting righteousness.
  • (YLT) righteousness to the age (doesn’t have ‘to the age’ in v144)
Psa 119:160
  • (CLV) ordinances are eonian
  • (KJV) judgments endureth for ever
  • (YLT) to the age is every judgment
Isa 44:7
  • (CLV) eonian people
  • (KJV) ancient people
  • (YLT) people of antiquity
Jer 51:26, 62
  • desolations eonian
  • (KJV) desolate for ever
  • (YLT) desolations age-during
Here are a few examples that use the PLURAL Noun “αιωνων in the Greek NT, but it is translated with an ADJECTIVE by the KJV.

1Ti 1:17
  • (CLV) King of the eons
  • (KJV) King eternal
  • (YLT) King of the ages
Eph 3:11
  • (CLV) purpose of the eons
  • (KJV) eternal purpose
  • (YLT) purpose of the ages
What has been shown so far should be sufficient enough to show that the Greek adjective “aionios” (and its varying renderings) simply means “of or pertaining to” its Noun, for once again, we are seeing those words “of the age(s)”…”of the eon(s)”…”for the age(s)/eon(s)”…etc. It should be again noted, that one could write a sentence using either the Noun or the Adjective, and EITHER way, it would mean the SAME thing. Another glaring truth is that the Hebrew OT is virtually VOID of adjectives. So we know that if the Adjective was used in the Lxx, then it was to convey the SAME thought of the Hebrew Nouns. There is just no disputing this.

Some people debate that the word “aion” means “eternity”. There are two problems with this assumption. 1) there are scriptures that state there are “beginnings to aions”…”ends to aions”…”after the aions”….”past aions”….”future aions”. If aion means eternity then it cannot have beginnings, endings, pasts, etc. 2) the simple fact that there are PLURAL aions should be telling to anyone that knows basic grammar. There can only be ONE eternity. So in effect, the KJV has translated the noun “eternitIES” (PLURAL) into the adjective “eternal” (1Ti 1:17, Eph 3:11).

In my opinion, two of the biggest hang ups that keep people from accepting that the word “aion” simply means age/eon, whether one of quantity or quality, is 1) when it describes such things as “life”…”God”…”God’s glory”…etc. But when describing these things, the definition of an Adjective STILL remains that same (of or pertaining/relating to). The renderings would still read much in the same way, as such:

“life of/for/unto the age(s)”
“God of/for/unto the age(s)”
“glory of/for/unto the ages(s)”
“punishment of/for/unto to the age(s)”
“fire of/for/unto to the age(s)”

And 2) people have been reading a translation that has the word “eternal” for such a long time that it is STAMPED into their head that, this is what the word Hebrew word “olam” and the Greek word “aion” mean in those instances. We can’t really blame them though, because most of them do not know that these words are translated many different ways from the Hebrew and Greek. When these words are translated with an “eternal” tone, we see, in a lot of cases, the Noun it describes obviously did NOT last for “eternity” (i.e. the smoke of Sodom and Gomorrah, the Priesthood, etc.).

Of the over the 430 times the Hebrew NOUN “olam” occurs in the bible the KJV translates it:

“ever” 269 times, ”everlasting” 64 times, “old” 26 times, “perpetual” 22 times, “never” 16 times, “ancient” 6, “world” 4, “always” 3, “long” 3, “alway” 2, “any” 1, “beginning” 1, “continuance” 1, “eternal” 1, “lasting” 1, “without” 1, “time” 1 times

Notice the underlined words. In MOST cases, they are used as English ADJECTIVES in the scriptures to render Hebrew NOUNS.

Furthermore, of the over 120 occurrences of the Greek NOUN “aion”, the KJV has translated it:

“ever” 72 times, “world” 37 times, “never” 8 times, “evermore” 3, “ages” 2, “eternal” 2, “worlds” 2, “course” 1

When studying the PLURAL forms of these words (olam/aion), you would find that the KJV blatantly translates Plural renderings (i.e. 1Ki 8:13, 2Ch 6:2, Psa 61:4, Rom 9:5, 1Co 2:7), but with English words that are in the Singular form, NOT the Plural. Now it is one thing to translate a Singular Heb/Gk noun with yet another Singular English noun, but when they translated a Plural Heb/Gk noun with yet the SAME SINGULAR English noun, it becomes quite deceptive to the reader. For example, EVERY instance of the Greek word “aion” in the book of Revelations is in the PLURAL form, but the KJV has translated it in EVERY occurrence with an English word that is in the SINGULAR form. This should be an eye opener to some people.

Now, if one wants to express, that such renderings as “forever and ever” in the KJV is emphatic for eternity, then I urge you to go to the following thread to see how weak this arguement is.
//www.city-data.com/forum/16865625-post1.html

When a person, such as myself, expresses that the Gk adjective “aionios” NEVER means eternal, there are a few arguments that arise from others:
“Well are you saying that God doesn’t live forever?” (Gen 21:33, Rom 16:26)

“Christ’s Kingdom does not last forever” (2Pe 1:11)
“If you say the punishments are temporary, then the life we receive is TEMORARY also, because the same word to describes both” (Mat 25:46)

This is a normal response when one actually THINKS the word “aionios” means “eternal”. What they and some of the translators, don’t understand is the Gk adjective is describing what God is “OF”. He is the “God OF THE ages/aions”. This is even done by the KJV in verse 1Ti 1:17 and Eph 3:11, where the Gk noun is clearly in the PLURAL, but the KJV translates it “eternal”. Just how many “eternities” are there? The phrase “eonian God” simply means “God OF THE eon(s)”. Nothing more and nothing less. Writing it either way means the EXACT same thing. Now, one could argue that it could mean “God OF Eternity”. That works out ok, until we get to the Plural forms of “aion”, for the same person will NOT say “God of EternitIES”.

Eonian Life: after eons end, we will receive immortality. There will be an “end” to humanity’s “age” of mortality. Many don’t understand this. That which they say is “eternal life” will END. Likewise, Christ’s reign will END (1Co 15:25-28), then He will hand his Kingdom unto His Father. Most in UR understand that “eonian Life” and “given immortality” as being two totally different things. Most of them in Christianity, on the other hand, believe they are the SAME thing.

It is when the adjective describes God or His character that many don’t want to accept that “aionios” does NOT mean eternal. But again, the adjective is describing WHAT He is a God “OF”.

Even some in UR maintain that when the word is used in context with God or His character, than it must mean eternal. To think this way is to allow the True Eternalness of God to force the definition of a word. It is like saying “the eternal Eternal God”, because God has an eternal nature, but “eonian Levitical Priesthood”, because it did not last forever. But, the word is not describing how long God is going to live, rather it is describing what He is God “OF”. Fact is, it does not matter if the adjective is describing something of an eternal nature or not. We need not do such things. The Noun rendering is simply “God of the age(s)” or the like. So, as the scripture has shown...

The adjective AIONIOS clearly is equivalent to "of or pertaining to" the aion(s)
Aionios does indeed "pertain to the age" or rather to its root noun "aion", age. But the way in which it pertains to its root is where the problem is. Aionios in my studies indicates that the word defines an indefinate duration meaning that it doesn't signal the endpoint of a duration at all. But rather signals the continuing point.

So to say something is aionios would mean to say that it is something that exists in the current and age and shall continue to exist beyond the existing age. (here age is depending on the context in which aionios is applied.) It NEVER addresses the end point. The endpoint is concealed from us. Kinda like looking at the horizon. We don't know where it ends but we know it continues on.

So take this verse for example:

Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Now aionios is used there where bolded.

So the meaning here is that the punishment and the life must EXIT currently during the present age timeframe and that the punishment and life will continue to exist beyond this age. When this present age is finihsed the punishment and Life shall continue. It doesn't speak to the end point at all.

What this means is that when we see aionios used like this it is heralding the next age.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:15 PM

14,876 posts, read 17,148,619 times
There are at least 2 eons or ages to come but there will come a time when the eons end, even though we can't see when they will end. Just as we know that the horizon eventually comes to an endpoint, even though we can't see the end point.

"The word olam (equivalent to NT aion) is also used for time for the distant past or the distant future as a time that is difficult to know or perceive. This word is frequently translated as eternity or forever but in the English language it is misunderstood to mean a continual span of time that never ends. In the Hebrew mind it is simply what is at or beyond the horizon, a very distant time. A common phrase in the Hebrew is "l'olam va'ed" and is usually translated as "forever and ever" but in the Hebrew it means "to the distant horizon and again" meaning "a very distant time and even further" and is used to express the idea of a very ancient or future time."

Hebrew Word Meanings

The eonian God as this pertains to the purpose of the eons or aions

"let us consider the phrase "the eonian [aio~nion] God," found in Romans 16:26. "The eonian God," speaks of the God of the eons, even as "the French language" speaks of the language of France. He Who is the King of the eons (Rev.15:3), is the eonian King. Similarly, as the supreme God of the eons, He is the eonian God. Even as God is the God of Israel, He is also the God of all the earth.,THE EONIAN GOD-God is of the entire grand duration from the beginning to the consummation not in some lame sense that He merely manages to stay alive during this period, but in the sense that He is its God! He is the Almighty, the Supreme, the All-Sufficient One. Yahweh Elohim is the God Who, through the course of the eons, becomes the Saviour of all mankind (1 Tim.4:10). Through Christ, He is placing and subjecting all, according as He is intending. Thus the eonian God is the eonian God. That is, through the eonian times (Titus 1:2b), God, the King of the eons (1 Tim.1:17), Who makes the eons (Heb.1:2), achieves His purpose of the eons, which He makes in Christ Jesus our Lord (Eph.3:11). In consummating His purpose, God will abolish death, and will finally become All in all (1 Cor.15:26,28)."

Eon as Indefinite Duration (Part Two)

eon=age= an indefinite period of time

God bless and peace.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:15 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,789,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post

"let us consider the phrase "the eonian [aio~nion] God," found in Romans 16:26. "The eonian God," speaks of the God of the eons, even as "the French language" speaks of the language of France. He Who is the King of the eons (Rev.15:3), is the eonian King. Similarly, as the supreme God of the eons, He is the eonian God. Even as God is the God of Israel, He is also the God of all the earth.,THE EONIAN GOD-God is of the entire grand duration from the beginning to the consummation not in some lame sense that He merely manages to stay alive during this period, but in the sense that He is its God! He is the Almighty, the Supreme, the All-Sufficient One. Yahweh Elohim is the God Who, through the course of the eons, becomes the Saviour of all mankind (1 Tim.4:10). Through Christ, He is placing and subjecting all, according as He is intending. Thus the eonian God is the eonian God. That is, through the eonian times (Titus 1:2b), God, the King of the eons (1 Tim.1:17), Who makes the eons (Heb.1:2), achieves His purpose of the eons, which He makes in Christ Jesus our Lord (Eph.3:11). In consummating His purpose, God will abolish death, and will finally become All in all (1 Cor.15:26,28)."

Eon as Indefinite Duration (Part Two)

eon=age= an indefinite period of time

God bless and peace.
I wish I still had access to KGO radio Sunday religion program's Brent Walters (Brent Walters website) He covered this topic in spades one Sunday morning.

One point I do recall is that Walters was insistent that "age" is a "definite or indefinite" period of time. I do not recall if he stated that an "age" had anything other than a definite beginning, but I am certain he stated that it's end can be indeterminate.

As for "God of the ages" his point was that God was eternal, and therefore outside of time, and therefore "age" did not apply to God because an age comes to an end sooner or later.

Apologies for being unable to provide links. The radio station changed hands and the new owners have their heads someplace one would think was impossible for them to go.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:32 AM

307 posts, read 285,032 times
aionion means eternal such as:

The life we are given by God is "aionion"

John 6:47, "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal (aionion) life.

Honor to God is "aionion"

1 Tim. 6:16, "who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light; whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal (aionion) dominion! Amen."

The fire will be "aionion"

Matt. 18:8, "And if your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; it is better for you to enter life crippled or lame, than having two hands or two feet, to be cast into the eternal (aionion) fire.

So the length of the life of the Christian, how long God is honored and the length of time those cast into the fire are all the same.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:39 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,789,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by July 8th View Post
aionion means eternal such as:

The life we are given by God is "aionion"

John 6:47, "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal (aionion) life.

Honor to God is "aionion"

1 Tim. 6:16, "who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light; whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal (aionion) dominion! Amen."

The fire will be "aionion"

Matt. 18:8, "And if your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; it is better for you to enter life crippled or lame, than having two hands or two feet, to be cast into the eternal (aionion) fire.

So the length of the life of the Christian, how long God is honored and the length of time those cast into the fire are all the same.
Idle curiousity. Are you an expert in koine Greek? Or are you repeating something you read someplace? I ask not because I am an expert in koine Greek, but someone who has read and listened to people who indeed are experts in koine Greek.

Your assertion is disputed by experts in the language.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:11 AM

307 posts, read 285,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Idle curiousity. Are you an expert in koine Greek? Or are you repeating something you read someplace? I ask not because I am an expert in koine Greek, but someone who has read and listened to people who indeed are experts in koine Greek.

Your assertion is disputed by experts in the language.
Well most of the "experts" i have read and heard say it the way I gave it. You can find an "expert" that will view things any way you want.

I believe this to be true based on my education, the teachings of learned men and women who have spent years studying the language and most importantly the promptings of God's Holy Spirit that lives in me.

I know there are those who must deny this to support their doctrine. All I can do is answer someones question the best I can. Had I not been 100% sure what I said was right I would not have posted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity