Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 05:17 AM

9,695 posts, read 10,038,708 times

Advertisements

This rejection of Easter service is the works of the flesh were the dragon authority to blaspheme the sin of sloth , which opposes itself to the virtue of fortitude to the Lord, and instead brings the worship of the beast for the idol of fear, public opinion, and exploitation............`` Pray Father I ask forgiveness for rejection of your dwelling place for your spirit and the rejection of honor for your glory in Jesus mighty name..... I abase the dark spirit responsible for this rejection in China and other areas were you know ..... Father I plead the blood of Jesus Christ judgment on these injustices and take our judgment away in Jesus mighty name...... Father prepare a place in the earth for your purposes and help your Children have authority as peacemakers in Jesus might name.........Glory to God ....``
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 05:49 AM

381 posts, read 799,741 times
sorry folks you just don't get it.....what you fail to see is that over 100 million did celebrate including me.....just because a beijing church who lacked a proper permit was denied holding a service doesn't mean the enemy has a death grip on china...

quite the opposite....thousands coming to faith every day. I see it in action and I'm in the middle of it....

if you don't live here, you really have a prejudiced view.

the Holy Spirit is being poured out over this country....

praise God...the saints are winning

Old 04-26-2011, 07:44 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,583,526 times
China has been my interest for a long time. I took a year of Chinese language and pushed for a Chinese history course at my small college. (Which I took)

In history China has often been one of the more religiously tolerant societies. So far as I know Jews never experienced the kind of persecution they did in the Christian, Muslim, or even Zoroastrian world. (Zoroastrians are generally tolerant, but they did have a bellicose period around the fourth century I think) Christianity has at times been greatly tolerated too and at other times not.

However Chinese regimes have had a tendency to emphasize groups at least partly assimilating and been strongly concerned with what they deem separatist or "destabilizing" tendencies. Hence Chinese history will have long stretches of tolerance as mentioned, but also periods of harsh persecution. This occurs when the group is seen as violating social norms too much, grabbing too much land, or sowing discontent. So in the later part of the T'ang (I believe in the ninth or tenth century) there was a great persecution of Buddhist monasteries which resulted in the destruction of most, or all, of the first Christians in China. This was because Christians were seen as like Buddhists as pre-Reformation Christianity had monasteries, religious celibacy, etc.

The modern era is different than the dynastic in that the governing philosophy of China is still officially atheistic, I believe, although they're increasingly open to religious members. In the Maoist era the irreligion/atheism was more intense so they would go after religions whether they were threatening or not. Nowadays I think the Chinese regime is leaning more toward the authoritarian than totalitarian. So the people don't all have to love the Party or the Revolution, in the way of the Maoist era, but they aren't to really challenge it's core aims either. Churches that do not register, or openly oppose "The One Child Policy" and the like, therefore may fall under the traditional tendencies of "threatening foreign influences."

So I think it's not because the Chinese are an unusually intolerant people. Christians have it much better in China than in say Pakistan and probably better than in Myanmar. However it's also not because they're super-rational and don't want Christians coming in to ruin their rational paradise. Christians have been in China, continuously, for like four centuries. (Particularly if we include Macao) Also the Party seems willing to support religion provided it will be a force that comforts the people, in a time of economic transition, rather than one that opposes the State.

Which is to say I dislike what happened in China, but I think many here are trying to put into American "cultural war" perspectives that are not that relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity