Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:41 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times

Advertisements

"Then Simon Peter, who was behind him, arrived and went into the tomb. He saw the strips of linen lying there, as well as the burial cloth that had been around Jesus’ head. The cloth was folded up by itself, separate from the linen." John 20:6-7
Was that important? .......... Absolutely!
Is it really significant? ........ Yes!

This was message I learned on Easter Sunday.
In order to understand the significance of the folded napkin,
you have to understand a little bit about Hebrew tradition of that day.
The folded napkin had to do with the Master and Servant, and every Jewish boy knew this tradition.
When the servant set the dinner table for the master, he made sure that it was exactly the way the master wanted it.
The table was furnished perfectly, and then the servant would wait, just out of sight, until the master had finished eating,
and the servant would not touch that table, until the master was finished.
Now if the master were done eating, he would rise from the table, wipe his fingers, his mouth, and clean his beard,
and would wad up that napkin and toss it onto the table. The servant would then know to clear the table.

For in those days, the wadded napkin meant, "I'm finished."
But if the master got up from the table, and folded his napkin, and laid it beside his plate,
the servant would not dare touch the table, because the folded napkin meant,...

"I'm coming back."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 11:25 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
"Then Simon Peter, who was behind him, arrived and went into the tomb. He saw the strips of linen lying there, as well as the burial cloth that had been around Jesus’ head. The cloth was folded up by itself, separate from the linen." John 20:6-7

The folded napkin had to do with the Master and Servant, and every Jewish boy knew this tradition.
When the servant set the dinner table for the master, he made sure that it was exactly the way the master wanted it.
The table was furnished perfectly, and then the servant would wait, just out of sight, until the master had finished eating,
Now if the master were done eating, he would rise from the table, wipe his fingers, his mouth, and clean his beard,
and would wad up that napkin and toss it onto the table. The servant would then know to clear the table.

But if the master got up from the table, and folded his napkin, and laid it beside his plate,

"I'm coming back."
Amen.... love that story !!
It is so awesome to read and learn the history of the Jewish traditions and ways !!
And then how Peter knowing this, he knew his Lord had left them a message through that napkin.... it confirmed to Peter's heart what the Lord had told them and promised.... "In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. (John 14: 2-3)..... amen !!
Yes, come Lord Jesus !!!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 5,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Amen.... love that story !!
It is so awesome to read and learn the history of the Jewish traditions and ways !!
There's only one problem: this isn't a Jewish tradition/custom. This napkin folding tradition never existed. There's a reason this "copy and paste" story is found only on forums, youtube, email and facebook.

The falsity of this story could have easily been verified simply by looking up the verse in the original greek. The word "entulissó" doesn't mean "fold", but to twist/entwine. The Christian community needs to stop this chainletter nonsense. It's taking his name in vain. If he is the truth, why attach lies to his scriptures?

Old 04-22-2012, 08:07 AM

459 posts, read 723,543 times
It actually is truth; at dinner parties or banquets in 1st century Judea, you could let a host know you were coming back to the table after a break for the bathroom or a breather outside by leaving your napkin folded on the table.
Furthermore, you are incorrect in your petty assumption that it is a "copy-paste story found online." This was something I learned about in Biblical Literature classes.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:31 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCalifornianWriter View Post
It actually is truth; at dinner parties or banquets in 1st century Judea, you could let a host know you were coming back to the table after a break for the bathroom or a breather outside by leaving your napkin folded on the table.
Furthermore, you are incorrect in your petty assumption that it is a "copy-paste story found online." This was something I learned about in Biblical Literature classes.
Amen.... Yes, this I also found to be true through my research on the subject and a very interesting one at that !!
God will always give those little tidbits to encourage, spurring on His children, keeping them enduring till the end, in seeking Him in spirit and truth, amen !!

There will always be those who want nothing more but to prove Christianity false.... it is what it is !!

Blessings

Old 04-22-2012, 09:26 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:

"I'm coming back."
I discovered that significance 2 years ago...Isn't it exciting?...Something like that most people read over and do not see nor even wonder at the significance of it...Most just figure it was a minor detail in the recounting of the Gospel...I always say that the NT is best understood with the Lamp of the OT...Not the other way around...

Old 04-22-2012, 09:33 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emet101 View Post
There's only one problem: this isn't a Jewish tradition/custom. This napkin folding tradition never existed. There's a reason this "copy and paste" story is found only on forums, youtube, email and facebook.

The falsity of this story could have easily been verified simply by looking up the verse in the original greek. The word "entulissó" doesn't mean "fold", but to twist/entwine. The Christian community needs to stop this chainletter nonsense. It's taking his name in vain. If he is the truth, why attach lies to his scriptures?
Well, I read about this in a book called 'Jewish history and culture'...It was dining ettiquette...

Old 04-22-2012, 03:06 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
Quote:

"I'm coming back."
Twin,

This is so ironic! This is exactly the same lesson my preacher gave on Easter Sunday, and it was wonderful. The message of the folded napkin gives us the faith and hope we need to remind us HE WILL BE BACK. Praise God!

Lord come quickly!

God Bless,

Katie

Old 04-22-2012, 03:26 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
He did come back . Just like He promised.

I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. John 14

When the day of Pentecost came. Acts 2:1

Old 04-22-2012, 03:49 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,432,574 times
This is a great event Twin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity