Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2017, 12:00 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
You don't. This is how you learn and grow.
Not by sitting back and letting one person TELL you what is true.
You grow and learn together.
It's fairly simple Vizio.

Love versus Fear.

What is emanating from the person? What is their message. One of Love (God) or Fear (Anti-God).
You can learn either way. You use your God-given brain to discern.

It would be a far better system of learning and growing than what is the norm.

Remember God did not give us a spirit of fear.
What is there to fear?
You guys are all talking intangibles...things that can only be measured by being around the guy and spending time with him. Often, that simply is not something a hiring church can do -- spend time with 15 different applicants. But the smart church leaders will certainly want to evaluate those things at some point before they decide to call a pastor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 12:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You guys are all talking intangibles...things that can only be measured by being around the guy and spending time with him. Often, that simply is not something a hiring church can do -- spend time with 15 different applicants.
Really? The people who are doing the hiring, who will be paying money to someone to preach their doctrine, can't/don't spend time with the applicants?

Do they just look at the resume and say, "Good enough." Sounds like 'Eenie, Meanie, Miney Moe'. And illustrates my point that a higher education is no guarantee of a quality employee.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:27 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
You guys are all talking intangibles...things that can only be measured by being around the guy and spending time with him. Often, that simply is not something a hiring church can do -- spend time with 15 different applicants. But the smart church leaders will certainly want to evaluate those things at some point before they decide to call a pastor.

Vizio, we are talking about two entirely different things. You are looking for a LEADER to tell people what to believe. I am talking about seeing each person as a beloved child of God who has SOMETHING to contribute about their OWN journey and to teach the WHOLE.

One person's journey may be steeped in fear and darkness.
One person's journey may be one that has walked through that fear and found the light of God's everlasting love.

Both journeys can serve to teach EVERYONE something about God.

We're all students and we're all teachers.
The sooner we realize this, the better off we'll be.

There should be no single "Authority" in any group.

But some can't handle this.
The fear of losing control is just too much.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:29 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
There is a lot more to "Pastor" than preaching, and THAT is an area where education and experience can be very helpful, though not often well covered in seminaries that concentrate on doctrine and reconciling biblical contradictions.

Good experience? a few years in the criminal justice system as a probation officer, for instance.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:35 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Vizio, we are talking about two entirely different things. You are looking for a LEADER to tell people what to believe. I am talking about seeing each person as a beloved child of God who has SOMETHING to contribute about their OWN journey and to teach the WHOLE.
One person's journey may be one that has walked through that fear and found the light of God's everlasting love.
Amen, sparrow. Jesus tried to communicate this to them when He said those who would be first will be last, etc., but our human perversity and belief in the need for hierarchy won out.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:42 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
How do you find that person?
Quote:

Actually, I'd suggest you read 1 and 2 Timothy sometime. You'd be surprised what it says about church leadership .

Old 01-11-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:

Look around Vizio.
We are EVERYWHERE.

God's beloved children.
Each and every one of us.

The next person you see or meet, is that person.

Quote:
Actually, I'd suggest you read 1 and 2 Timothy sometime. You'd be surprised what it says about church leadership .
Sure, I'll re- read them tonight.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:

Vizio, I think you would be surprised about what it says in 1 Timothy, about God's love for ALL.

1 Timothy 4:9 This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance. 10 That is why we labor and strive, because we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all people, and especially of those who believe.

11 Command and teach these things.

Peace brother,
Sparrow

P.S. I wasn't surprised about anything Timothy said about church "leadership".
I think God would be more pleased with the Amish way.
Respecting ALL members, and giving EACH member a voice.
What could be more fitting than for ALL to participate in sharing their journey?
But go ahead with your rules and regulations.... if that's what suits you.
It doesn't suit me.
Guess what?
God still loves me. (meaning... I have no fear of doing something "wrong" when it comes to sharing God's love.) I would rather hear from all members of a church. Rather than just ONE who is "appointed by men". Hope you understand what I mean.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:29 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Vizio, I think you would be surprised about what it says in 1 Timothy, about God's love for ALL.
1 Timothy 4:9 This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance. 10 That is why we labor and strive, because we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all people, and especially of those who believe.
11 Command and teach these things.

Peace brother,
Sparrow

P.S. I wasn't surprised about anything Timothy said about church "leadership".
I think God would be more pleased with the Amish way.
Respecting ALL members, and giving EACH member a voice.
What could be more fitting than for ALL to participate in sharing their journey?
But go ahead with your rules and regulations.... if that's what suits you.
It doesn't suit me.
Guess what?
God still loves me. (meaning... I have no fear of doing something "wrong" when it comes to sharing God's love.) I would rather hear from all members of a church. Rather than just ONE who is "appointed by men". Hope you understand what I mean.
The fundamentalist mindset is anathema to the love of God, sparrow. They really do think that they are special snowflakes because of what they claim to believe ABOUT God and Jesus. The rest of us are detritus and deserving of Hell. It is a most unbecoming exclusive club that hinders rather than promotes spiritual maturity - but it definitely tickles their ears.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:32 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Look around Vizio.
We are EVERYWHERE.

God's beloved children.
Each and every one of us.

The next person you see or meet, is that person.

Sure, I'll re- read them tonight.
I suspect sparrow of being a crypto-Quaker. 'Fess up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity