Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you do good?
God has commanded us to. 0 0%
So that I might go to Heaven. 0 0%
So that I will not be condemned to Hell. 0 0%
I'm just naturally someone who loves to to good. 7 26.92%
I'm saved; being "good" is a natural consequence of that. 5 19.23%
I enjoy the rewards I get here on Earth for my good works. 4 15.38%
I love God and want to please Him. 10 38.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 07:31 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionpainter View Post
The overwhelming thought is that I AM because the Father loves His Son, so I the Father.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, thanks.
You forgot he thinks he is Jesus Crhist, Katz . . . best not to encourage him in his delusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 07:43 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,331,348 times
you know I'm laughin. Humor is good for the soul...lol

Old 05-15-2011, 08:08 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Probably the main reason I do good is because my mom told me "Jesus loves you" when I was very little, and I wanted to be good, and do good to please Him just as I did my mother because she loved me.

All of these years even though I grew spiritually. I maintained the "faith of a child" that Jesus was real, and He loved me.

Through the years I have discovered that "good practices become good habits."

Old 05-15-2011, 08:40 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,331,348 times
Amen, Miss Blue. It does take practice to be perfect in the Lord.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:47 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
We have the mental faculty to decide upon a course of action; right, wrong or indifferent.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:16 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,649 times
I do good because I like to see how it makes others happier. Seeing the effect of the good I've done more than makes up for the work it takes. I don't have to guilt myself into doing it. It is normally quite enjoyable, though I have learned to like it more over the years.

I'm not really sure what to vote for. I don't do good naturally, and normally have to think about the good it will do to do good. I guess I enjoy the Earthly rewards, which are the joy it brings to others.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:20 PM

339 posts, read 832,908 times
Quote:
I'm curious about the primary reason people who try to do good in their lives make the choice to do so. I realize that most of us do so for more than one reason, but I'm asking you to pick the most important one. I suspect this thread will sooner or later lead into a discussion on salvation by grace through faith alone or through faith as evidenced by works. If it does, that's fine. If not, that's okay, too.
I do good because that's my nature and the kind of person I am, I also do it because God wants us too, but even if it wasn't in the Bible to do good, I still would. Sometimes I wish I could be tougher in some situations but I'm too soft hearted, I always have been. I can't help it.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:05 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times
It comes naturally for me, even as a young child. I always hated it when others were mean and selfish to those they thought were beneath them. I love the feeling of making others laugh or helping them overcome something that I have already been through. When I found Divine Love, it strengthened those attributes.

There was a time in my life that I did say mean things to people however, I always had the guts to apologize and face whatever I did. I always left them better than when I met them. I used to not be very nice but I think most of that was just overcoming the abuse I was put through. I still strived to help others even though I couldn't help myself. Now my life is nothing at all like it used to be because of Divine Love. It came into my soul and got rid of the negatives. It will alwys be my savior.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:52 AM

698 posts, read 648,066 times
Okay, to answer the thread topic, Well, I don’t do ‘good’ on my own initiative per se, but the father who works in me does the ‘good’ works. All glory goes to 'him'.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:16 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
Quote:
I'm curious about the primary reason people who try to do good in their lives make the choice to do so. I realize that most of us do so for more than one reason, but I'm asking you to pick the most important one. I suspect this thread will sooner or later lead into a discussion on salvation by grace through faith alone or through faith as evidenced by works. If it does, that's fine. If not, that's okay, too.
I do good because I love to and because it keeps me in balance and harmony with the universal forces which makes living joyful. I don't want to attract any bad karma for we all know that we reap what we sow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity