Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:33 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
And using the bible to prove the bible is the word of God is circular reasoning.

The very fact that the biblical text did not need to be read for men to receive his word before they wrote it down disproves that the bible is necessary for men to receive Gods word in their hearts.

We see the problems of the written word, you use the written word then have to provide your commentary on what it means, you will provide commentary that is not written in the bible therefore disproving your entire assertion.
Annotations are additions by either the compiler himself or from the programmer.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:06 AM

33,241 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You ignorantly confuse the Bible as the chronicler of the spread of the Word of God . . . with the Word of God Himself . . . Jesus Christ. The Bible tells us of the Word of God . . . but it is NOT the Word of God. ONLY Jesus Christ is the Word of God incarnate!!! Your "precepts and doctrines of men" are deceitful lies and misrepresentations, Mike . . . especially your commentaries and non-scriptural dogma. You deny that God has "written in our hearts" so that we do not need teachers to know the truth . . . only the Holy Spirit to guide us to what is "written in our hearts."
Quote:
You have found him out, Christy. Mike follows the "precepts and doctrines of men" and pretends that he is following scripture. The Bible is NOT the Word of God, period. There is ONLY ONE Word of God Incarnate . . . Jesus Christ !!

To Phaze: I am sorry you feel that the Bible is the Word of God . . . but I suppose you cannot break the indoctrination from your past. It is extremely difficult if not impossible to do so for many. That has been the major crime of the religious leaders for the past 2000+ years. It is a heavy burden for their souls. I pity them.
As post #1 shows, scripture after scripture declares the Bible to be the word of God. It has been carefully explained why the Bible is the word of God.

As for this comment, ''You deny that God has "written in our hearts" so that we do not need teachers to know the truth . . . only the Holy Spirit to guide us to what is "written in our hearts."

With reference to not needing teachers to know the truth, you refer to 1 John 2:27 which says 'And as for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him.'

John, himself a teacher, was not dismissing the need for human teachers. The Bible constantly advocates teaching as in Matt 28:20; 1 Cor 12:28; Eph 4:11;; Col 3:16; 1 Tim 4:11; 2 Tim 2:2,24.

John was writing warning against false teachers. Antichrists had been attempting to lead those to whom John had addressed his letter astray with their false teachings. But 1 John 2:12-14 suggests that these believers were relatively spiritually mature. In contrast with these believers, the believers in Heb 5:12 were spiritually immature and in need of human teachers. Heb 5:11 'Concerning him we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. 12] For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food.

John wrote in response to the attempts of the false teachers to mislead these believers to whom he was addressing his letter that what they had been taught under the Holy Spirit's ministry through the apostles was not only adequate but was the only reliable truth.

Regarding what God has 'written in our hearts,' you are probably referring to 2 Corinthians 3:2 which says, 'You are our letter, written in our hearts, known and read by all men; 3] being manifested that you are a letter of Christ, cared for by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone, but on tablets of human hearts.

It was a common practice in the first century to carry letters of recommendation. Paul's opponents, false teachers, carried false letters of commendation. But Paul, as well as Timothy and Titus (in our hearts) had as a letter of commendation, the Corinthians themselves. The Corinthians were a letter written by the Holy Spirit. Paul's letter of recommendation was not human, but divine (1 Cor 2:1-5).

You misunderstand and misuse those phrases 'written in our hearts' and 'you have no need for anyone to teach you' to arrive at the false conclusion that you don't need the Bible for spiritual growth.

As for your constant reference to the 'doctrines and precepts of men', apparently with regard to the teaching of the apostles, Paul refutes you. 1 Thess 2:13 For this reason we also constantly thank God that when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe. The message from God is the word of God. You seem unable to comprehend that what comes from the mouth of God is the word of God.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:39 AM

33,241 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Again, I read what you wrote, but you are not seeing the facts contained within your own words as you try to manipulate the facts into a false assertion.

We can all be apostles and you have already proven that God does not need the written word to instill his spirit into a human being. Your own words defeat you.
To the contrary. It is you who do not and will not see the truth of the matter. The Bible is indeed the word of God as is Jesus Christ.

There are no apostles since the death of the apostle John. The gift of apostleship was given to the twelve for the purpose of establishing local churches at the beginning of this dispensation, and writing the New Testament. Apostles had authority over all the churches as opposed to a pastor who had authority only over his own church.

If by 'instilling his spirit into a human being' you are referring to the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, that comes at the moment of salvation through faith alone in Christ alone. As a result of gospel hearing, a person believes in Christ and is eternally saved. The gospel message is contained in the Bible. Now someone can read the gospel from the Bible and believe, or they can hear the gospel message from someone. Ultimately the source of the gospel message is God who had it recorded in the Bible.

Since the completion of the New Testament, God is no longer (during the church-age) communicating through angels, dreams, visions, prophets, or apostles. His message to the church is contained in the Bible which the believer must, under the filling of the Holy Spirit, transfer from the Bible into his soul where it is efficacious for spiritual growth.

There can be no spiritual growth apart from learning the doctrines and principles which are contained in the word of God. You are only deceiving yourself if you think otherwise.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:01 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
The Bible is not the Word of God, it is a declaration of the Word as it was experienced by the penmen who wrote. The scriptures are nothing more than dry manna with respect to the Spirit, which brings Life. You can know God without the Bible, but you cannot know God without the Spirit.
That's why there is so much confusion in Christendom: lots of Bible, little of Spirit. The letter (Bible) kills. The Spirit gives Life.

Imo..

Blessings,
brian

Old 06-07-2011, 06:22 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
Quote:
You have found him out, Christy. Mike follows the "precepts and doctrines of men" and pretends that he is following scripture. The Bible is NOT the Word of God, period. There is ONLY ONE Word of God Incarnate . . . Jesus Christ !!
I realize this...but I sure would like an answer to my question from Mike. There were hundreds of scriptures that didn't make it into the canon...and if ALL are "God Breathed" then those that didn't should not be discarded and should be taken seriously as well. And, you and I both know, they aren't...I wonder why???????????

Old 06-07-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Since the completion of the New Testament, God is no longer (during the church-age) communicating through angels, dreams, visions, prophets, or apostles.
Whevever did you get this idea from because it certainly wasn't from "the word of God"??????????

It is apparent that you've never heard the "still small voice of God"...and your are being completely DISHONEST in stating that no one else had or that he doesn't speak to people today...because he certainly does.

Perhaps you need to spend some quiet time getting to know the true God because it's obvious you've never met the true God let alone experienced his presence ...Be STILL and KNOW that I am God.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
The Bible is not the Word of God, it is a declaration of the Word as it was experienced by the penmen who wrote. The scriptures are nothing more than dry manna with respect to the Spirit, which brings Life. You can know God without the Bible, but you cannot know God without the Spirit.
That's why there is so much confusion in Christendom: lots of Bible, little of Spirit. The letter (Bible) kills. The Spirit gives Life.

Imo..

Blessings,
brian
Some people will just NEVER GET IT Brian...no matter how many times you show them they are DEAD WRONG!!!!

Old 06-07-2011, 06:47 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
This is the absolute truth, ILNC . . . but it is NOT the Word of God. It tells us of the Word of God Jesus Christ and His Gospel (Good News).
In the beginning was the WORD, the WORD WAS MADE FLESH (JESUS CHRIST) and dwelt among us. Jesus IS THE WORD!

Can't get any plainer that that! Jesus came down to speak the WORD to us.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:49 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Thank God for the written Word. The scribes would write down the Words of God and that was their job to WRITE the word of God. Knowing full well to preserve the Word as God's testament to his people.

There is NO PROBLEM with the written word of God.. you talk as if you have a spirit of anti-christ or anti-written word which I see as the same.

The Holy Spirit knows what it means . If you have no Holy Spirit to teach you,you will never know what the Word means and it will be foolishness to you.

One must be born of the spirit of God. Born again as Nicodemus asked . How can I be born again? Do I go back into my mothers womb?...

Receiving the Holy Spirit .

You have no idea what your talking about. Where have I stated that the written word was a problem? I have pointed out that how people use that written word is a bigger issue and on top of that, you help make my point, you are talking about the spirit which goes beyond the written word.

Try to keep up, please.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
You have no idea what your talking about. Where have I stated that the written word was a problem? I have pointed out that how people use that written word is a bigger issue and on top of that, you help make my point, you are talking about the spirit which goes beyond the written word.

Try to keep up, please.
I honestly don't think he understands that FACT...he's stated several times that the Spirit can only speak to us through the written word of the bible and no other way...which is completely FALSE. I don't know where folks get these CRAZY ideas from because it certainly isn't from the bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity