Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 06:09 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times

Advertisements

Are you an overcomer? Have you, through the power of Christ's Agape/Love, overcome the world, the flesh, and the d(evil)? The spirit of fear is the spirit of anti-Christ. This video is about overcoming the enemy which is fear.

YouTube - ‪Overcoming Fear‬‏
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 06:42 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
I haven't finished watching the video yet, but his understanding of scripture looks very very good! Thanks for sharing Heartsong! I'll enjoy watching the rest when I get a moment..

Blessings!
brian

Old 06-18-2011, 06:48 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
What he calls "carnal ego" I equate with the Adam nature in us, the Esau, the pharisitical flesh.
Just different ways of naming the same thing.

I think fear is just one "element" of the Adam nature, however. The Adam nature manifests itself in all that is flesh: selfishness, hate, lust, covetousness, wrath, striving, bitterness, pride (perhaps the worst of all).

Imho..

I liked how he talks about judgement day WITHIN us--a scary day-- because love is powerful!

Blessings,
brian

Last edited by ahigherway; 06-18-2011 at 07:02 AM..

Old 06-18-2011, 09:04 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Who is this guy and what are his qualifications to instruct the rest of us?

I haven't watched the whole thing, yet, but he's already started off on the wrong foot (I'm writing this as I listen to him):

"The land" in that passage quoted from Deuternomy 1:21 is NOT your "waking self." It is the literal land of Israel, the Promised Land, the area roughly between the Mediterranean and the Euphrates River. To call it something else is a lie and un-scriptural.

In the quotation from Matthew 10:28, that "Him" who can kill both body and soul is NOT your "carnal ego," but God Himself and hell is not "ignorant suffering."
He's taking great liberties with the scriptures and mis-defining it to support his thesis.

And, I hate to tell him, but the Bible identifies fear as the beginning of knowledge and wisdom. Fear of the Lord means exactly that: trembling in dread at the prospect of falling into the hands of the Living God on judgment day. Nor is "fear" the thing we need to be saved from. We need to be saved from our own sinful nature!

He makes a good point about fear being a motivation for religion (as opposed to faith), but he lies when he says that you are "good" at your core. You are not and the scriptures say so. Once again, he's twisting the Gospel to make his case. He's also claiming the name of Christ while denying His sacrificial death on the cross as a payment for our sins generated by our sinful nature.

God's will is not to have all men saved from their fear. It's to offer Jesus Christ as a path to restoring a right relationship with Him (righteousness).
Saul of Tarsus' blindness was not symbolic. It was the literal blindness of the Jews to the reality of Jesus as Messiah.

Salvation is NOT overcoming fear. It is faith and trust in Christ and Him risen.

This is NOT Christianity, but self-salvation by our own works. He conveniently forgets to quote Jesus: "I am the way, the truth and the life. No man cometh unto the Father but by me." (John 14:6) Instead, he offers up another path to "salvation" by rejecting fear.

This is a lie, folks.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:50 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
This is a lie, folks.
Stillkit you are so steeped in fear and the fear doctrine of mainstream fundamentalism that you would not recognize God if He walked up to you and commanded you personally to "love God and each other." Love casts out ALL fear . . so your doctrine is incompatible with "love of God and each other" . . . Christ's commands to His followers. Who do you follow, stillkit . . . it apparently is not Christ.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Stillkit you are so steeped in fear and the fear doctrine of mainstream fundamentalism that you would not recognize God if He walked up to you and commanded you personally to "love God and each other." Love casts out ALL fear . . so your doctrine is incompatible with "love of God and each other" . . . Christ's commands to His followers. Who do you follow, stillkit . . . it apparently is not Christ.
I don't fear anything any more. You're making an assumption about me based upon I don't know what, but it's not valid. I suppose you're so hung up on some stereotype of Christian's you've come to believe in that you can't see the truth.

And, the truth is that there IS NO SALVATION outside the risen Christ. Not His teachings, not His behaviors, not His love, but His living, breathing, transformed, risen body. To accept what Jesus taught while denying His resurrection, and the Word of God that He is the ONLY way to restore our broken relationship with God, isn't going to get anyone into heaven.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:23 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Who is this guy and what are his qualifications to instruct the rest of us?

If there was ever an example of how easy it it is to be taken in by the doctrines of men,this is it.^^^^

Stillkit..........Acts 4:13

When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus(Here's the qualifications you are looking for).

Jesus Christ is not some historic figure of the past but alive in the hearts of those who believe today .

Thanks for sharing Heartsong, watched a couple of minutes this morning, and liked what i heard.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:25 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
This is a lie, folks.
stillkit,

you refute truth as well as Dave Hunt. I know all the pat answers of fundamentalist believers. They all have the same spirit of condemnation, which, by the way is NOT the Spirit of Christ.

But go right ahead and keep your head in the sand. That way you don't have to look your brother square in the eye.

Heartsong

Old 06-18-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
If there was ever an example of how easy it it is to be taken in by the doctrines of men,this is it.^^^^

Stillkit..........Acts 4:13

When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus(Here's the qualifications you are looking for).

Whoever that guy is, he's not Peter or John. I know who they are, but I still don't know who HE is.

Quote:
Jesus Christ is not some historic figure of the past but alive in the hearts of those who believe today .
That's true, but did you hear him say anything about having faith in Christ? I didn't.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
stillkit,

you refute truth as well as Dave Hunt.

Who's he?

Quote:
I know all the pat answers of fundamentalist believers. They all have the same spirit of condemnation, which, by the way is NOT the Spirit of Christ.

Maybe those "fundamentalist believers" all have the same answer because they have the truth. And, the truth is that that guy is taking great liberties with scripture and mis-defining words to give it all a whole, different meaning which denies Christ and Him risen.

Quote:
That way you don't have to look your brother square in the eye.
Quote:

Heartsong
Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity