Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 08:08 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,371,620 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
Every now and then something comes to mind which I feel is worth sharing. Today this came to me:

Jesus had the Spirit without measure. The OT figures did not (implied). David may have been moved by the Spirit to write the Psalms, but it must be that he was not walking in the Spirit when he killed and committed adultery. This would also be true for other figures who committed such acts.
Jesus was completely led by the Spirit, and he confirmed what the Spirit requires: peace, love, joy, righteousness.
It does appear that God poured out His Spirit on many people before Christ. It had to be the same Spirit that was later poured out on all who believe in Jesus.
Yet Christians today are at best like OT Davids. That is, sometimes they have the leading of the Spirit, other times they don't.
Jesus was the first obedient Son, whom the Spirit never left until the moment before death, after which He cried, "Father, why hast thou forsaken me?"
Someday, the whole world will be Sons and Daughters as the original plan for Eden was.

I write this to say, that when you let the Spirit lead you in any moment, the OT scriptures will also confirm your joy and inward witness, showing you that the OT scriptures declare the working of the same Spirit.
This is why I love the Psalms so much, simply because my spirit recognises the same Spirit of God even in those writings, and they encourage me greatly. Their cries unto the LORD are one with my heart's cry, and I find communion and comfort therein. They are of the same Spirit!

Love to hear your thoughts!

Blessings to all,
Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 11:28 PM

702 posts, read 1,006,732 times
This is a more literal version:

For He Whom God commissions is speaking God's declarations, for God is not giving the spirit by measure. (John 3:34; Concordant Literal Translation)

Yet, if you omit the italicized words "unto him" that the KJV adds, it also plainly teaches the Spirit is not given by measure:

For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him. (John 3:34; Authorized Version)

One has said, "Wherever there is any of God, there is all of God." We don't get a little piece of Him. We get Him. This does not mean He is in the full manifestation of His glory. To many it seems a God honoring thing to say, "He has the fullness of what we have in in part." But, "...of his fullness have all we received, and grace for grace. (John 1:16; Authorized Version) Some of what Christ's death and resurrection has done is bring us into direct intimacy with God with no other mediators. Our relationship is with God, not like the story of the blind men and the elephant (though there is great truth in that story,) each feeling a different part of the animal and thinking that the whole was like the little part they'd felt. God relates to us to change us into His image. This image is,"...many, as one one...so also is the Christ." (1 Corinthians 12:12) We are parts of each other, and we give Him our all as He has also given Himself. Not just His patience or only His hand, He is imparting and revealing Himself in us. Yes, there are this, now that, then the other aspect of Him revealed in us. His gifts are in part, promising the liberation of the purchased possession. Like, we have our place in the corporate body of Christ, while we are individually entering into all that He is; so, this "many membered man," is also a person to person walk between my Lord and I.

"In that day you shall know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. He who has My precepts and is keeping them, he it is who is loving Me. Now he who is loving Me will be loved by My Father, and I shall be loving him and shall be disclosing Myself to him." (John 14:20-21)

Last edited by JamesMRohde; 10-11-2010 at 11:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity