Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 01:30 PM

9,922 posts, read 1,295,264 times

Advertisements

Make a committment to read your Bible every day. Focus on the gospels. Don't think about doctines or denominations. Your faith will grow with every passing day. Remember faith comes by hearing the word of God. Right now you are putting too much pressure on yourself to be what you think you need to be and live up to the expectations of what others think your faith should be like. Try praying each day too, even if it's to do no more than read the Lord's prayer. Your ability to talk to God will grow over time. Stop being so hard on yourself. God is well aware of what's in your heart. Trust him to help you through this time.

Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 02:11 PM

63,988 posts, read 40,262,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
The thing that has kept me sane is realizing that it (Love, that is) is NOT all for nothing. There's nothing more worth focusing on in this life than love, imho, whether there's an afterlife or not.
If only this could be made clear above all the cynicism and deception that typifies life. If you always act in "love of God and each other" and expect that others are too . . . your life will be richer, fuller and more satisfying. Yes. . . there are those who will take advantage, pretend, and otherwise not reciprocate. But that is their loss and burden.

We also confuse agape love with amorous love or lust. Agape love is concerned with the effects their love has on others. Amorous love is concerned with the effects their love has on themselves. I can't count how many times people I know have bemoaned the loss of a "loved" one to adultery or divorce. The truth is they may or may not have loved . . . but they were never truly loved in return . . . so there was never anything to lose.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 06-30-2011 at 03:28 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 03:20 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,906,531 times
Trimiac, forget about any organized religion.

Let's start with the basics.

You believe in a god. Do you think your god cares what you believe or how you live your life?

If so, what do you think he wants you to do?

My guess is that he created this universe for you to respect and enjoy. Show respect to other living creatures, treat other people fairly and honestly, and enjoy your life.

I bet that is all your god wants you to do.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:23 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,230,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Make a committment to read your Bible every day. Focus on the gospels. Don't think about doctines or denominations. Your faith will grow with every passing day. Remember faith comes by hearing the word of God. Right now you are putting too much pressure on yourself to be what you think you need to be and live up to the expectations of what others think your faith should be like. Try praying each day too, even if it's to do no more than read the Lord's prayer. Your ability to talk to God will grow over time. Stop being so hard on yourself. God is well aware of what's in your heart. Trust him to help you through this time.

Katie
I agree with you Katie. I immediately thought of "Faith comes from hearing the word of God." I was a Christian, but didn't make it a priority to read God's Word. I listened to the the lie from the enemy that it was boring and I wondered why I was stagnant in my walk with God. One day I opened it and read it. It came to life and I couldn't get enough. The Holy Spirit started changing me drastically and I've never been the same. I am so thankful for the Bible. OP, definitely read the Bible as often as you can and God will give you faith and change you. He speaks through it and this is why Satan tries to keep us away from it.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:29 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,959,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Is it just me, or this the only 'reasonable' position to take?

I'm been a believer since a child, yet much of that time I'm not sure I can really call myself one. Oftentimes I felt my faith was closer to agnosticism to true faith. I haven't really felt confident in alot of the tenents of the Christian faith consistently for years, really. I am pretty sure there is a God/Creator, but after that alot of it feels more like hoping for something or forcing myself to believe.

The annoying thing is that often things that are seen (by others) as not 'central' to the debate are stumbling blocks and seem critical to me...things like the predictions about the second coming (the generation verse), all that fairytalish fantastic unscientific imagery (I had to seem critical but I just can't get over it!), the character of God in parts of the OT, Noah's flood, Jewish mythological framework etc...also I find the fact that so few will be saved very depressing, and at odds with my longing for a Universalist framework. The last might make it emotionally unappealing but doesn't really detract from my actual faith in something, more the willingness to believe. The concept of the Cruxifiction ressurection is appealing on one level, yet I find it a bit senseless on another, and it's frustrating that so much of it is based on events that happened so long ago. I wish more of it was based on the here and now, and on us directly experiencing and communing with God.

Let's just say over the past few days I felt I have come close to death (it's anxiety related) and I was really frustrated/terrified because I didn't feel confident of there being any afterlife. My fear of not existing sort of blocked that out with noise....As much as I pray and try and feel I can't regain that confidence I had what seemed like so long ago, and I am really in a state of despair! I really hate everything about this life, but don't want to die just yet. I do want to live for Him but I just find it hard to do so when the monkey of doubt is always on my back. I just wonder if someone wants so hard to believe fully yet God won't do anything...I still cling to faith in God and Christ and the promises, and hope that God will be merciful, yet it seems hope is all I am clinging too! I do so want to believe in miracles but nothing seems to be happening...I know one should be patient and have faith but oftentimes I have been wondering if it's just not true. How can I be sure, without it being plainly proven to me through some supernatural apparation or the like? I feel so sure there is a divine being out there, and have prayers I believe have been answered, yet a part of me is really frustrated it has to come down to faith and that it might all be for nothing in the end.

You are frustrated due to the fact that you have been taught certain things about spirituality that do not match up to the reality you are told demonstrates those things.

How you feel and what you observe are not indicators that something is absolutely true or untrue.

The largest factor in your problem is that you have been led to believe that doom may await you after you die and that you have to "get something right" before you die to avoid that doom. The proof that those teachings are false is the inherant factor that none of them can be proven to be the right one, so in reality, do you honestly think a God who is not the author of confusion would really hide himself and create the scenario that you'd have to basically stake your eternal sole on an Enni Meeni Minnee Moe approach to which one is correct?

I mean seriously. God says his love will never fail. So if you end up doomed in any manner, it failed. God also says in proverbs 16:9 that YOU may devise a way, but God directs YOUR steps.

So just where will he direct your steps? Into doom? LOL think about it and you will start laughing and realize that you have absolute assurance.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:06 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,519,627 times
Trimac... it would be wiser to believe what Jesus said than the voodoo alternative of God having a rubber stamp, it being acceptable that Jesus could be mythical, turning your back on his grace. Talk about dung, what arrogance to suggest "no harm, no foul " in turning away.

The are no words from Jesus who encourages turning your back on him or his grace. Any one who says such are not speaking for the very words of God but those of Satan.

In fact God said:

Hebrews 10:38
But my righteous one will live by faith. And if he shrinks back, I will not be pleased with him.”

Hebrews 3:12
See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God.

Jesus wasn't encouraging Jerusalem to turn away from when they turned away from his grace.

Jerusalem was destroyed in 70 AD because soley of their turning away.

God sent OT Israel into captivity for turning away on him .... not this voodoo of "no harm..no foul"

Old 06-30-2011, 08:03 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,548,688 times
A peace that I cannot even find the words for is what I found once I asked God to remove all the fear, the formalities, the rules, the threats and the loopholes of organized religion that had been piled upon me for many many years..I was at a very very desperate place with no one to help when He stepped in and opened my spiritual eyes so that I finally saw and understood that Jesus came not to burden us with fear but to remove fear by showing us the Father's love which is purer than anything on this earth.

He said "my yoke is easy and my burden is light" I now feel his presence, His love and the blessed assurance that this life is just a stepping stone into something great, wonderful and beautiful that is beyond the understanding of we mortals. I have no fear now of exiting this room called life and entering whatever He has gone to prepare for us. because He dwells within me and will be beside me all the way.

I have no advice for you on how to be assured of your faith..It is still there..Talk to Him and see how fast it grows once it feels the warmth, the nearness and the love of the "son"

Blessings and prayers for spiritual peace for you, Trimac.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:59 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,033,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
A peace that I cannot even find the words for is what I found once I asked God to remove all the fear, the formalities, the rules, the threats and the loopholes of organized religion that had been piled upon me for many many years..I was at a very very desperate place with no one to help when He stepped in and opened my spiritual eyes so that I finally saw and understood that Jesus came not to burden us with fear but to remove fear by showing us the Father's love which is purer than anything on this earth.

He said "my yoke is easy and my burden is light" I now feel his presence, His love and the blessed assurance that this life is just a stepping stone into something great, wonderful and beautiful that is beyond the understanding of we mortals. I have no fear now of exiting this room called life and entering whatever He has gone to prepare for us. because He dwells within me and will be beside me all the way.

I have no advice for you on how to be assured of your faith..It is still there..Talk to Him and see how fast it grows once it feels the warmth, the nearness and the love of the "son"

. . .______Amen ~~~~~~~ Alleluia____. . .

Old 06-30-2011, 09:05 PM

8,184 posts, read 6,954,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post

That brought (joyful) tears to my eyes, Miss Blue.
God bless you for sharing that.
peace,
sparrow

Old 07-01-2011, 03:07 AM

234 posts, read 238,847 times
Default If you can't see His hand.....

…and we don’t know His plan, trust His heart.”
These are the some of the words from one of my favourite songs.If we understood just a fraction of the depth and extent of God’s love, we would not doubt His guiding hand, we would not fear tomorrow, we would trust His love and surrender to Him utterly.
You can do that. Though we cannot see what tomorrow may bring, especially in these last days, though we do not know the end from the beginning, we can be assured that God does. He sees all the pitfalls and swamps and mountains ahead of us, and will guide us accordingly. He has already made provision for every contingency. Nothing takes Him by surprise, there is not one thing that can happen to us for which He is not prepared. He loves us. He loves us! He loves us! God loves us!!! With a passion !!!! He is head over heels in love with you!!! Trust in that love. Hope in that love. Believe in that love. Rest in that love.
Though you may not understand everything that God does, though you may not understand anything else regarding the nature of God, if you can know His love, then you know Him. “And this is life eternal, if ye know God, and Jesus Christ Whom He has sent”. God is love. Immerse yourself in His love. Immerse yourself in Him. He is to be trusted with your life. Surrender all to Him, and know the joy and peace He brings.
And if anyone has difficulty in their present circumstance grasping the depth of the love of God, look to the cross. Look to the life and death of Jesus. God’s love personified, exemplified and magnified by His Son. Like Father like Son. Jesus did not die to convince the Father to love you. Jesus died because the Father loves you.
“If you cant see His hand, and you don’t know His plan, trust His heart…. “
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity