Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:39 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,498,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Yes I agree with that as well, but you have to understand the context of what is meant there.

God cannot lie.
Yet with God all things are possible.
But why then is it God cannot lie?

twin.spin, what your question really boils down to is can God change the truth to be a lie? And the answer is no He cannot. Truth is truth, in that sense it is self-existent. We can also say that God is truth.

It is true that a circle is a two-dimensional shape with all points equidistant from a center point. A circle by any other name is still a circle.
It is true that a triangle is a two-dimensional shape with 3 sides. And likewise a triangle by any other name is still a triangle.

It is a lie to say that a circle can be a triangle.
Thus it is not possible to be.

This kind of question is akin to asking can God make 2+2=5 or can God make a stone so big that even He cannot lift it? These are really illogical questions - similar to your circle/triangle question - they break the law of identity (a thing is what it is), and essentially ask if God can turn the truth into a lie.

No, God cannot turn the truth into a lie. God does not lie. God is the truth.

Hope that made sense.
I understand what you're trying to say and we know what God doesn't lie.
But for example, God does make 1+1+1=1 ... The trinity

Also currently we know that gold is one of the more dense natural materials.
But Jesus says that the golden streets will be clear as transparent glass Rev 21:21
Attached Thumbnails
If God is omnipotent (all powerful)...can a circle be a triangle?-trinity.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 06:34 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,133,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I understand what you're trying to say and we know what God doesn't lie.
But for example, God does make 1+1+1=1 ... The trinity

Also currently we know that gold is one of the more dense natural materials.
But Jesus says that the golden streets will be clear as transparent glass Rev 21:21
Hi twin,
The problem is in using 1+1+1=1 as an analogy: it doesn't work because 1+1+1=3. 1+1+1=1 is a lie, and therefore cannot be, so in that sense it is a very poor analogy for the trinity.

I don't understand the trinity concept very well myself, so I won't get into that (wasn't sure if that was your main topic or just the idea that God can do anything - even the illogical).

Regarding Rev 21:21, I'm not convinced that is talking about literal physical gold. And anyway God certainly could change the physical structure of gold so it is transparent. There is no problem with that.

What I was talking about is true/false concepts.

A circle is round with no corners.
A triangle has 3 corners.

Therefore it is always true that a circle cannot be a triangle. God cannot change this without changing the truth into a lie, which at this point I believe is impossible. The truth is self-existent.

In contrast, God could change the molecular structure of gold so that it became transparent. And certainly God does change and transform many things, namely He can change a man's outlook so the man now understands and believes in God. This does not violate any true/false concept.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:41 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,133,088 times
Hi again twin,

Just noticed what the picture you posted is. LOL its cute... but even that doesn't prove any thing, it is neither a circle or a triangle.

I think the way to tackle this problem is to realize there may be another dimension that we can't see right now that explains things.

For example, a circle and a triangle are both two dimensional shapes. If we only view in two dimensions, the circle and triangle can never be the same thing.

However, maybe there is a third dimension that we are missing, that we can't see right now. It is possible to construct a three dimensional object that when viewed from one side looks like a 2D triangle and when viewed from another side looks like a 2D circle. If we aren't aware of the 3rd dimension it would look like one or the other, depending on the angle.

But when we become aware of the 3rd dimension, we see an entirely new shape which is neither a circle or triangle but can appear as either in one dimension.

In that sense, the truth was there, we just didn't see it because we couldn't see the extra dimension.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:08 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,498,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Hi again twin,

Just noticed what the picture you posted is. LOL its cute... but even that doesn't prove any thing, it is neither a circle or a triangle.

I think the way to tackle this problem is to realize there may be another dimension that we can't see right now that explains things.

For example, a circle and a triangle are both two dimensional shapes. If we only view in two dimensions, the circle and triangle can never be the same thing.

However, maybe there is a third dimension that we are missing, that we can't see right now. It is possible to construct a three dimensional object that when viewed from one side looks like a 2D triangle and when viewed from another side looks like a 2D circle. If we aren't aware of the 3rd dimension it would look like one or the other, depending on the angle.

But when we become aware of the 3rd dimension, we see an entirely new shape which is neither a circle or triangle but can appear as either in one dimension.

In that sense, the truth was there, we just didn't see it because we couldn't see the extra dimension.
Legoman,
Absolutly correct. While alive, humans exist in a very defined demensional arena.

A guy that goes to my church one asked this (I do admit it's a little strange) ..... he said:
"We know for a fact that the image the human eye lens sees is upside down and the mind almost instantaneously turns it 180 degrees.... so then where does the true reality exist, in what the eye lens captures or in the mind?

[he continues] "so it is with God. He exists in an all together different dimension. The fact is there will come a point when existing in the heavenly realms will exceed the amount of existance being physically alive... so the question is 'which reality of existance is the anomaly' ? "
That sort of ties in with your 2 dimension concept. Once we enter the heavenly realms our 2 dimension of how our eye lens captures and mind turns it 180 will change into the reality of how God exists. A 3 dimensional triangle is square on one side or a 3 dimensional circle can have a point on one end (a cone).

Because we currently exist where the mind turns everything 180 degrees from what the eye lens captures, what we think is a square could very well be the tip of three dimensional triangle laying on it's side in the heavenly realms.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:48 AM

2,673 posts, read 2,237,022 times
Circles and triangles are abstract mathematical concepts that are meaningless except as functions of conceptualization.

They only exist on paper.

Besides, the Bible doesn't say that God is all powerful even to the point of making the absurd possible. The Bible just says that God created the universe and everything in it, and that he transcends both space and time. What the Bible says is that it is impossible for God to be unfaithful to himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity