Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 02:12 PM

488 posts, read 1,251,642 times

Advertisements

John 4:44
For Jesus himself testified, that a prophet hath no honor in his own country.

Why?

Mt 13:57
And they were offended in him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house.

what does it mean to you? ever experienced it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 02:54 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times
It means tat a stranger would have more belief in you than your own family because they have known you since birth. An example, If you want to heal someone in your own family of alcoholism, they won't listen. But, if you took them to a total stranger, there are more apt to listen. Jesus couldn't teach His own family because their idea of a king was totally different than what Jesus taught. They thought that His teachings had nothing to do with running a kingdom.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:57 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
For years as a bible believing(sigh) christian i was that Country that Jesus was referring to. This verse led me out of that country towards the country whose builder and maker is God.

Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him." Romans 4:8

Old 07-03-2011, 03:08 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,257,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doesntspringtomind View Post
John 4:44
For Jesus himself testified, that a prophet hath no honor in his own country.

Why?

Mt 13:57
And they were offended in him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house.

what does it mean to you? ever experienced it?
The designed work of God entails that a prophet be not accepted in his own country.

Why? Because of the separation of mankind from God as a result of us having the ability to reason, independently from God as gods.

The flesh is :Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

The underlined defined: By
Quote:
Albert Barnes "Notes on the Bible", It does not mean the mind itself, the intellect, or the will; it does not suppose that the mind or soul is physically depraved, or opposed to God; but it means that the minding of the things of the flesh, giving to them supreme attention, is hostility against God; and involves the sinner in a controversy with him, and hence, leads to death and woe.
Therefore the flesh is in opposition to God which in the case of a prophet, as in warnings, is not received, and as the Son of god, is again rejected by the flesh.

The object design in the rejection of Jesus was that the Jews, as the chosen vessels, introduce and carry the laws of God to the world that by their rejection God would include the rest of humanity as His chosen as well.

So, a prophet without honor is the picture of what I just explained.

Blessings, AJ

Old 07-03-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
It means tat a stranger would have more belief in you than your own family because they have known you since birth. An example, If you want to heal someone in your own family of alcoholism, they won't listen. But, if you took them to a total stranger, there are more apt to listen. Jesus couldn't teach His own family because their idea of a king was totally different than what Jesus taught. They thought that His teachings had nothing to do with running a kingdom.

That is one application of it.

The real reason, in my view is in my post just posted before this one.

Blessings, AJ

Old 07-03-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
For years as a bible believing(sigh) christian i was that Country that Jesus was referring to. This verse led me out of that country towards the country whose builder and maker is God.

Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him." Romans 4:8
The wilderness country? The one which we all must go trough.

An interesting view is that Jesus' house is the wilderness..

Job 39:6 Whose house I have made the wilderness, and the barren land his dwellings.

Wilderness = people
barren land = the emptiness (Lack of knowledge) filled as in the dwellings of the Holy Spirit, thus making the barren land fruitful.

Blessed..........is man.......who the Lord granted life as a free gift!!

Blessings, AJ

Old 07-03-2011, 03:31 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
The wilderness country? The one which we all must go trough.

An interesting view is that Jesus' house is the wilderness..

Job 39:6 Whose house I have made the wilderness, and the barren land his dwellings.

Wilderness = people
barren land = the emptiness (Lack of knowledge) filled as in the dwellings of the Holy Spirit, thus making the barren land fruitful.

Blessed..........is man.......who the Lord granted life as a free gift!!

Blessings, AJ
I have no problem being in the wilderness it's not a bad place to be honest,God certainly furnishes a table here.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I have no problem being in the wilderness it's not a bad place to be honest,God certainly furnishes a table here.
You and I agree!

My wilderness is overshadowed by His watching presence, as I can attest to His workings in my daily life.

Blessings, AJ

Old 07-04-2011, 06:03 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Moses was a prophet and they said he could not lead the people right ....Samuel was a prophet and he had a hard mouth in a hard time were King Saul dishonored him ....Jeremiah was dishonored by the King of Judah at his time for the Words God was telling him.....Elijah the prophet was dishonored by Queen Jezebel who tried to kill Elijah because he ordered the deaths of her priest .....Jesus said in Luke 4:18-27... The Spirit of the Lord is on me because he has anointed me to preach the Gospel to the poor, he has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captive, and recovering of sight to the blind to set at liberty them that are bruised to preach the acceptable year of the Lord ...... This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.......Very truly I say NO PROPHET IS ACCEPTED IN HIS OWN COUNTRY...I tell you the truth many widows were in Israel in the days of Elias when the Heaven were shut up for three years and six months when the great famine was throughout the land ... But to none of them was Elias sent, save to Sarepta a city of Sidon to a women that was a widow...... And many lepers were in Israel in the time of Eliseus the Prophet and none of them were cleansed, saving Naaman the Syrian``....... After Jesus said these things the people in the Synagogue, rose up and thrust him out of the city and led him to a cliff in the hill were the city was built were they might throw him over the side but he move through them and escaped and went on his way ..... See these people were familiar with Jesus early life and rejected him as a prophet of the Lord ......In the church were I go We had a prophet leave the Church some ten years ago because she started to prophesied Repent you sinners every time she stood to Prophesied , then the Spirit of rebellion and witchcraft came against her because of these divisions were she was challenged with illness were She left and went to another church ...... People do not like all the doom and gloom prophecies but prefer wisdom for faith in their issues coming from the Lord

Old 07-04-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
...... People do not like all the doom and gloom prophecies but prefer wisdom for faith in their issues coming from the Lord>>>hljc
Yeaaah......especially if one is guilty! Can the preacher sugar coat it a little bit? perhaps I might fell a little more comfortable with my guiltiness.

Is there a hint of rejection of a prophet there?

Blessings, AJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity