Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 02:20 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Finn, I often think you just like to amuse yourself by seeing how long you can keep someone trying to explain the same thing over and over again. I have this image of you typing and chuckling. If I promise to keep taking the bait, will you own up to it?
I must admit that sometimes it gets rather funny. People are funny, especialy when they are not trying to be funny.

You do not have to explain any further. I don't think you will ever admit the error, but I know you know what I am saying about your original comment. It is misleading to say Christians teach that you must save yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 02:26 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He scolded them many times for not having enough faith. Why should that be a problem, other than you claimed that it never happened?

As for the rest of your post.... well - those are your words which you are trying to insert in my mouth. I never said such thing. I only said Jesus scolded his disciples, which is a fact.

Mark 8:14 Jesus asked them: “Why are you talking about having no bread? Do you still not see or understand? Are your hearts hardened? Do you have eyes but fail to see, and ears but fail to hear? And don’t you remember? When I broke the five loaves for the five thousand, how many basketfuls of pieces did you pick up?”

“Twelve,” they replied.
“And when I broke the seven loaves for the four thousand, how many basketfuls of pieces did you pick up?”
They answered, “Seven.” He said to them, “Do you still not understand?”

Luke 9 “Teacher, I beg you to look at my son, for he is my only child. 39 A spirit seizes him and he suddenly screams; it throws him into convulsions so that he foams at the mouth. It scarcely ever leaves him and is destroying him. I begged your disciples to drive it out, but they could not.”
“You unbelieving and perverse generation,” Jesus replied, “how long shall I stay with you and put up with you? Bring your son here.”
If you think that is scolding, no wonder you get so upset everytime someone disagrees with you,and accuse them of bad mouthing and being unloving towards you. If you noticed in the post of mine you replied to(see below), i underlined "in like manner" to how he scolded the scribes and pharisees. I still stand by it that Jesus did not speak to sinners and his disciples in the same manner he did to the scribe and pharisees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Yes Jesus scolded James and John for acting like fundamentalists by wanting fire to consume those who rejected the message of Jesus.Believe me whenever i'm scolded of the Lord it's usually because i'm thinking like a fundamentalist.

Would you be so kind in quoting maybe just a couple of the scriptures,where you think Jesus was scolding his disciples in like manner to the scribes and pharisees,and while you're at compile a list of all those you say walked away from UR, i was hoping you would have named a few by now.

And his disciples James and John having seen, said, 'Sir, wilt thou that we may command fire to come down from the heaven, and to consume them, as also Elijah did?' 55 and having turned, he rebuked them, and said, 'Ye have not known of what spirit ye are; 56 for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men's lives, but to save;' and they went on to another village.

James and John at one point must have thought Jesus was in the business of destroying lives too, like your hardened fundy does today.Thankfully Jesus made it perfectly clear that he wasn't,and fair play to the sons of thunder, they took what Jesus said to them like men, rather than getting all upset with Jesus,accusing him of bad mouthing them,and being unloving.

The 2nd portion of scripture you quoted, he's not speaking to the disciples,if i recall he explains why the boy wasn't healed by them.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:30 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,386,780 times
Quote:
I must admit that sometimes it gets rather funny. People are funny, especialy when they are not trying to be funny.
LOL. Ha, I knew it. And I'll keep up my end of the bargain and keep taking the bait ... but maybe a little less than before.

Quote:
You do not have to explain any further. I don't think you will ever admit the error, but I know you know what I am saying about your original comment. It is misleading to say Christians teach that you must save yourself.

When I think I've made an error, I'm usually pretty willing to admit it (a learned trait that did not come naturally -- so I know you can learn it too if you want to ) I didn't make an error, here, nor was I misleading, imo. So, I'll have to leave it at that.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:31 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
The official proclamation of Christ reveals the false message, which has nothing to do with the truth of the Gospel.

But did we not prophesy by divine inspiration of the Bible, the casting out of demons and indicate beforehand,
that the wicked would be cast into a fiery underworld in your Name?
Depart from me with that rubbish!

[Of course this is paraphrased]

Old 07-10-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
If you think that is scolding, no wonder you get so upset everytime someone disagrees with you,and accuse them of bad mouthing and being unloving towards you.
Yes, it is a scolding, and I see nothing wrong with it. I am sorry, I am going to let you go knowing where this is going. You tend to get personal and accusatory right off the bat (like above).

Quote:
The 2nd portion of scripture you quoted, he's not speaking to the disciples,if i recall he explains why the boy wasn't healed by them.
He was talking to an entire crowd of unbelievers, but the disciples were in the crowd as well. You did not give any examples of the manner in which He spoke to the Pharisees, so I really could not answer. He spoke to the Pharisees on many different occations.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is a scolding, and I see nothing wrong with it. I am sorry, I am going to let you go knowing where this is going. You tend to get personal and accusatory right off the bat (like above).

He was talking to an entire crowd of unbelievers, but the disciples were in the crowd as well. You did not give any examples of the manner in which He spoke to the Pharisees, so I really could not answer. He spoke to the Pharisees on many different occations.
There's a sack full of scriptures how he scolded the scribes and pharisees.

There is a whole chapter thereabouts devouted to it(the woe unto you scribes and pharisees chapter),and without fail every time they tried to catch him by his words and deeds, they got an earful of Jesus not mincing his words.How unloving of Jesus to bad mouth the fundamentalists like this.It's a good job he didn't post on here(wait a minute),the report post feature would be on fire.

Here's

Old 07-10-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
There's a sack full of scriptures how he scolded the scribes and pharisees.
That's why I don't know which one you are referring to. At one point He flatly told them they would never be saved, not in this life, nor in afterlife. If that is the verse you refer to, then it is true that He did not talk to the disciples that way.

Quote:
There is a whole chapter thereabouts devouted to it(the woe unto you scribes and pharisees chapter),and without fail every time they tried to catch him by his words and deeds, they got an earful of Jesus not mincing his words.How unloving of Jesus to bad mouth the fundamentalists like this.It's a good job he didn't post on here(wait a minute),the report post feature would be on fire.

Here's
Is this your new angle of attack against the believers? Are you trying to say that Jesus would scold modern day believers like he scolded the Pharisees, while treating URs with a more loving tone? That is quite funny actually. I wish you did not have such a low opinon of the modern day servants of Jesus. There are a lot of good people out there pcamps.

Or are you trying to justify attacks on believers by suggesting that Jesus would have attacked them as well?

In other words I do not know what your point it.

Personally I do not use the 'report' button, so I do not know if it can overheat, but if you say it can, then I take it you speak with a voice of a long time user.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
That's why I don't know which one you are referring to. At one point He flatly told them they would never be saved, not in this life, nor in afterlife. If that is the verse you refer to, then it is true that He did not talk to the disciples that way.

Is this your new angle of attack against the believers? Are you trying to say that Jesus would scold modern day believers like he scolded the Pharisees, while treating URs with a more loving tone? That is quite funny actually. I wish you did not have such a low opinon of the modern day servants of Jesus. There are a lot of good people out there pcamps.

Or are you trying to justify attacks on believers by suggesting that Jesus would have attacked them as well?

In other words I do not know what your point it. Personally I do not use the 'report' button, so I do not know if it can overheat, but if you say it can, then I take it you speak with a voice of a long time user.
I see you are twisting words again, did i once mention believers ?.

Fundamentalists Finn Fundamentalists,modern day scribes and pharisees, who place vengeance,wrath,punishment,judgement and it's own doctrines over the love,grace and mercy of God.

I too believe there's a lot of good people out there too,and they are not all christians.

Finn just so you know. There are a lot of christians who are not UR who post on here that i do not consider or believe they are fundamentalist.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:17 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,488,578 times
Quote:
I see you are twisting words again, did i once mention believers ?.

Fundamentalists Finn Fundamentalists,modern day scribes and pharisees, who place vengeance,wrath,punishment,judgement and it's own doctrines over the love,grace and mercy of God.

I too believe there's a lot of good people out there too,and they are not all christians.

Finn just so you know. There are a lot of christians who are not UR who post on here that i do not consider or believe they are fundamentalist.
pcamps...incorrect. If anybody who is twisting words, it seem to be the vocal UR crowd.

... wrong >>> " vengeance, wrath, punishment, judgement and it's own doctrines over the love,grace and mercy of God."

God's vengeance, wrath, punishment, judgement against the unbeliever happens along side of the love, grace and mercy God will have toward those who believe.

John 3:16
John 3:36
Matthew 25
Rev 20-21
Galatians 5:16-25

Old 07-10-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
pcamps...incorrect. If anybody who is twisting words, it seem to be the vocal UR crowd.

... wrong >>> " vengeance, wrath, punishment, judgement and it's own doctrines over the love,grace and mercy of God."

God's vengeance, wrath, punishment, judgement against the unbeliever happens along side of the love, grace and mercy God will have toward those who believe.

John 3:16
John 3:36
Matthew 25
Rev 20-21
Galatians 5:16-25
Lord have mercy on us for thinking this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity