Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 02:15 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,524,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Evolution is not a FACT, it is a theory.
Evolution is a fact and a theory. Please read this link, Jeff: Evolution is a Fact and a Theory

I feel like I'm talking to a wall. I tried explaining the difference between fact and theory in my post. I guess I failed. The article I linked should provide a better explanation.

Scientific theory is not the opposite of scientific fact. Theories EXPLAIN facts. Evolution is a fact. The theory of evolution explains this fact.

Please read the linked article. It is so sad to see people who educate their children on something they are confused about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 02:30 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Evolution is a fact and a theory. Please read this link, Jeff: Evolution is a Fact and a Theory

I feel like I'm talking to a wall. I tried explaining the difference between fact and theory in my post. I guess I failed. The article I linked should provide a better explanation.

Scientific theory is not the opposite of scientific fact. Theories EXPLAIN facts. Evolution is a fact. The theory of evolution explains this fact.

Please read the linked article. It is so sad to see people who educate their children on something they are confused about.
I skimmed the link and read alot of it (I'm a very quick reader). I'm sorry but it doesn't convince me. I am not a YEC and in fact think that evolution is highly probable (of course I believe God started the process).

But to me it is the HEIGHT of human arrogance to claim to know beyond any shadow of doubt exactly HOW we all came into being. Arrogant of scientists, arrogant of young earth creationists. No one, not any of us alive to have this conversation today, was alive then to know for sure. Even IF it is CURRENTLY looked at as 99.9999999% likely that evolution is correct, that is still based on our CURRENT facts, our CURRENT viewpoint. As you know this changes all the time based upon new findings and new discoveries. Who's to say that a discovery hasn't been made that will force us to throw half of what we currently "know" out the window? I deem this to be a highly probable possibility, based on scientific history alone.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I skimmed the link and read alot of it (I'm a very quick reader). I'm sorry but it doesn't convince me. I am not a YEC and in fact think that evolution is highly probable (of course I believe God started the process).
What do you mean you're not convinced? It's not up to you to define scientific terms. "Fact" and "theory" are defined by scientists, not you or other creationists.

Quote:
But to me it is the HEIGHT of human arrogance to claim to know beyond any shadow of doubt exactly HOW we all came into being. Arrogant of scientists, arrogant of young earth creationists. No one, not any of us alive to have this conversation today, was alive then to know for sure. Even IF it is CURRENTLY looked at as 99.9999999% likely that evolution is correct, that is still based on our CURRENT facts, our CURRENT viewpoint. As you know this changes all the time based upon new findings and new discoveries. Who's to say that a discovery hasn't been made that will force us to throw half of what we currently "know" out the window? I deem this to be a highly probable possibility, based on scientific history alone.
Yes, and as the article explained, apples may fall upward tomorrow. This doesn't mean we should discard modern theories of physics.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:59 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,040 times
Scientists tell why evolution is not supported by the facts!

Old 08-13-2007, 03:07 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,393 times
Quote:
What do you mean you're not convinced? It's not up to you to define scientific terms. "Fact" and "theory" are defined by scientists, not you or other creationists.
So then by this logic it's not up to athiests to disbelieve the existance of God, since they don't believe in God. It's called circular reasoning, I thought you athiests were familiar?

Quote:
Yes, and as the article explained, apples may fall upward tomorrow. This doesn't mean we should discard modern theories of physics.
But we would be able to see the apple fall upward. We currently can see it fall down.

We cannot see what happened when everything popped (Big Bang, Creation, whatever) into existance. Which is my point.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
So then by this logic it's not up to athiests to disbelieve the existance of God, since they don't believe in God. It's called circular reasoning, I thought you athiests were familiar?
I'm not following you. The subject is the confusion among lay people as to the scientific definitions of fact and theory. It has nothing to do with logic. It has nothing to do with God. I'm not attempting to redefine God to fit my purpose, so I fail to see your analogy.

Quote:
But we would be able to see the apple fall upward. We currently can see it fall down.
Only those who can see into the future would be able to see an apple falling upward tomorrow. We don't know with 100%, absolute certainty that apples will fall down tomorrow, but a reasonable person will admit that gravity is a fact.

Quote:
We cannot see what happened when everything popped (Big Bang, Creation, whatever) into existance. Which is my point.
First of all, big bang cosmology has absolutely nothing to do with the theory of evolution.

Secondly, there is so much evidence that supports the theory of evolution, it is commonly held by many scientists to be the most well supported scientific theory. This evidence can be seen, touched, tested and used in making predictions. One need not witness an event to be able to explain natural phenomena.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:35 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times
Yup, this is exactly why I am concerned. I really don't need teachers who swear up and down to my kids that evolution is a FACT. Just read the website of Answers in Genesis and there are a lot of scientic facts that DO NOT support evolution.

Dawn

Old 08-13-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Yup, this is exactly why I am concerned. I really don't need teachers who swear up and down to my kids that evolution is a FACT. Just read the website of Answers in Genesis and there are a lot of scientic facts that DO NOT support evolution.

Dawn
Evolution has never been falsified. There are no scientific facts that do not support evolution. AiG is a master of confusion and disinformation.

If you want your children taught only that which aligns with your religious beliefs, then send them to a religious school. Be forewarned though, that many if not most religious schools accept and teach evolution as scientific fact and theory.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:52 PM

teaching them what evolutionists believe is very different than having a teacher as an authoritative figure saying, "This is FACT."

We have homeschooled for the past few years too, but are moving to ps for the first time this year. I have always worked in ps, but haven't sent my kids before.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
We are homeschooling and not in public school BUT I still intend to teach evolution to my kids. It will be taught as a theory however and not fact. I think that is my biggest pet peeve about the WAY evolution is taught in the public schools. But, I will teach evolution and I will test them on that knowledge. They need to know this theory IMO to be prepared to explain their own beliefs and why they believe it. Otherwise all the talk about religion "just being belief and faith" while evolution is "intellectual science with no faith" will cause them to stumble.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:57 PM

You seem quite reactionary to this whole thread......this was meant to ask Christians about what they think.....not to ask evolutionists why I personally am wrong.

Creation has never been falsified either, nor has the belief in a God, an afterlife, and on and on.....what is your point?

Dawn

Quote:
Evolution has never been falsified. There are no scientific facts that do not support evolution. AiG is a master of confusion and disinformation.

If you want your children taught only that which aligns with your religious beliefs, then send them to a religious school. Be forewarned though, that many if not most religious schools accept and teach evolution as scientific fact and theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity