Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 09:53 PM

18,163 posts, read 15,685,947 times

Advertisements

My son and some freinds decided , out of the blue one day, to start a band. From there they started a youth group with a church.we have been attending for about six months. The band is the core of their program...and the church.had no youth group before this. Ever. The pastor asked us to see what the kids thought about it and they jumped on in. Sin e then we have been blessed with many things. A new sound system for them literally fell in our laps. I already had a bit of good music equipment that was languishing in storage(not anymore) and it all just came together. Now...that said..the only problem( if that is indeed what it is) is that a few of the more elderly folks in the congregation don't care for the.music.they play and have been vocal with the pastor in elder meetings about it. He basically told them, with backing from me and others, hey, they are our YOUTH ....and their music reflects that. It is high energy.Christian rock...and they are good at it. There is no desire on our or the kids part to alienate anyone....but a few don't seem to understand that this is how they use the Lords gift of music to honor Him. If only they could see how He has helped us start this and showered His blessing on it. To me, the music they play is secondary to its purpose. Has anyone.else had an issue like this and if so how did you.resolve it with the dissenters? I am not going to have the kids change styles( I sorts fell into the role of youth leader by default) since it also seems their music is reaching more kids. We don't want to create a perception that we are pushing anyone out either. These folks were there before us...but the pastor is tickled with the program and that helps. At first even be was a bit ....awed? ( good a word as any) at the explosiveness of some of the music but he realized that energy and youth are hard to seperate. Lmao....any experience in such matters is welcome.. thanks for letting me open upGod Bless all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 03:59 AM

9,700 posts, read 10,067,141 times
For the people who are causing discontent in the Works of Jesus , It is best to pray and plead the blood of Jesus Christ Judgment on the issue and give it to Him and let it go .... Churches that can get into divisions usually Jesus steps back and waits for them to Repent and turn to God and then cast these care to Him and stop complaining and talking about it and Jesus will then fix it to His Will which is to His advantage for blessing His Children..... Be Blessed...

Old 07-24-2011, 09:35 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,529,924 times
Mixed feelings....
There is nothing wrong with varied of music and there is nothing wrong with putting aside one's own preference aside.

The youth and the pastor should respect the elderly's opinion as well. They view it as something being push down their throats as much as the youth see it as the alternative being pushed down theirs.

So then it becomes a matter of why ...... if the youth do it so as to be entertained or for a emotional high, then it's not for the right reason. Some of the elderly may remember the term "Holy Rollers" ...which may just remind them of emptiness people had left when the entertainment was over.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:19 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,649,306 times
I was trying to envision my grandparents having to deal with such a thing.....they were staunch Pentecostals and they would have probably complained very loudly (even though my Grandfather was very quiet) about the "new" music. Tradition is hard to break, but it can be done. I would say give the older folks time to adjust and if they don't then they need to have a chat with all the young people. Putting the old and the young in the same room together to have a conference might change their minds.

I personally think it's a tremendous thing that you're doing and I commend you and your "kids" for wanting to honor the Lord and start a youth program. I think it's fantastic!

Old 07-24-2011, 10:30 AM

823 posts, read 1,410,680 times
My son also plays in a Christian rock band and some of their music is pretty high energy but they also play Christian worship music that is delightful to the soul. They often play this worship music for the congregation and everyone loves them.... even one of our 90 year olds Youth is part of our future and this is how they show their love for God and they are passionate for him. The youth of today is an integral part of any church and this is a great way for them to reach out to others.... by way of their music. God will work through them.

Your son, his band and your youth group appear to be a very positive energy to your Church and the pastor knows it! Perhaps the boys could also learn some of the Christian worship songs, i.e. Hillsong United type songs and play it for the congregation sometimes so that some of these folks also get to see another side of their music?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity