Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:57 AM

28,152 posts, read 30,174,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Oh I agree with you that we MUST have faith and I do....it's hard to explain but I just think it would be wonderful to have Jesus appear to every single person and be given the opportunity to believe first hand. It will still take some measure of faith to believe and there would still be those "doubting Thomases" who wouldn't believe even if Jesus did make a personal appearance. But it would be a level playing field for all if that were to happen. That's all I'm saying, we should have the same opportunity in our lives today as they did in Jesus' biblical times, seems fair to me.
Well, I know what you're saying and I do sort of agree. There have been many times when I've been sick or a loved one has been sick and I've prayed for myself or that loved one to be healed. I've basically said, "God, I know you can do this. You can make me well -- instantaneously, if you want." But, I remain sick or my loved-one remains sick, and I think that maybe I just don't have enough faith. Then I get to thinking that if Jesus were here and I could ask Him personally lay His hands on my head and heal me, I KNOW I'd be healed. There would be no doubt in my mind. I'd still be relying on faith, but with Him personally telling me to arise and not be sick any more, it would happen immediately. So yes, it would be wonderful to be in that position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 11:31 AM

4,212 posts, read 5,856,113 times
Quote:
You've got it all wrong Robin, I never said I can't see God in the things around me. I am very aware of His presence, although He seems distant at times. I don't think it's wrong at all (or carnal) to want to see the face of my Lord and Savior, yes, a physical manifestation. I'm not "looking" for anything, I'm "wanting" something that I can't have obviously until either I die or Jesus returns. It's called impatience. And don't ever say "ye of little faith" to me again.....it does not apply to me.
The "ye of little faith" was not a criticism but merely a quote from Christ. You have most likely seen Him and not recognized Him but I can understand that you would like for Him to walk up to you and say "Hi Im Jesus Christ" or perhaps like He met the woman at the well. Would you be comfortable with Christ addressing you like He did that woman?

Old 07-26-2011, 11:44 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,665,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, I know what you're saying and I do sort of agree. There have been many times when I've been sick or a loved one has been sick and I've prayed for myself or that loved one to be healed. I've basically said, "God, I know you can do this. You can make me well -- instantaneously, if you want." But, I remain sick or my loved-one remains sick, and I think that maybe I just don't have enough faith. Then I get to thinking that if Jesus were here and I could ask Him personally lay His hands on my head and heal me, I KNOW I'd be healed. There would be no doubt in my mind. I'd still be relying on faith, but with Him personally telling me to arise and not be sick any more, it would happen immediately. So yes, it would be wonderful to be in that position.
Yeah, that's just it....how much faith do we REALLY have? I've known people who have been healed and I was in awe of the amount of faith the people had who laid hands on the person in need....wow, I want that kind of faith. Even though I have a certain amount of faith it's not in any way like that.

I remember praying as a teenager for my stepmother to be healed of cancer and I really thought she would be but she died anyway. Why? Why wasn't my faith and the faith of so many others enough to heal her? Why do some people get healed and others don't? We all have our time to go but it's really frustrating and a huge disappointment when it seems our faith is not enough to get the job done.

But I don't see that as a fault on our part anymore or a lack of faith when someone doesn't get healed. After all, it is all up to God. When it's our time, it's our time. So is it really faith that heals, or is it out of our hands completely? I think we need the faith for those who are supposed to be healed, and then there's no amount of faith that will matter for those who aren't supposed to be healed.....so I guess credit can't be given to anyone for great "faith" when God is completely in control anyway.

This may all seem like drivel to some but it's such a strong desire that I have to see Jesus.....in this life. If I'm not careful, I may just get what I want!! I have "faith" that anything is possible.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:52 AM

5,926 posts, read 6,972,273 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's just it....how much faith do we REALLY have? I've known people who have been healed and I was in awe of the amount of faith the people had who laid hands on the person in need....wow, I want that kind of faith. Even though I have a certain amount of faith it's not in any way like that.

I remember praying as a teenager for my stepmother to be healed of cancer and I really thought she would be but she died anyway. Why? Why wasn't my faith and the faith of so many others enough to heal her? Why do some people get healed and others don't? We all have our time to go but it's really frustrating and a huge disappointment when it seems our faith is not enough to get the job done.

But I don't see that as a fault on our part anymore or a lack of faith when someone doesn't get healed. After all, it is all up to God. When it's our time, it's our time. So is it really faith that heals, or is it out of our hands completely? I think we need the faith for those who are supposed to be healed, and then there's no amount of faith that will matter for those who aren't supposed to be healed.....so I guess credit can't be given to anyone for great "faith" when God is completely in control anyway.

This may all seem like drivel to some but it's such a strong desire that I have to see Jesus.....in this life. If I'm not careful, I may just get what I want!! I have "faith" that anything is possible.

I believe the perception of physical healings is what can deceive us. I know people who have been healed who are miserable inside. I am in little need of physical healing when it comes to anything serious, and I am for the most part a miserable person when it comes right down to it.

With that said, I'd trade my physical health for true happiness on earth. I am generally at ease with myself, but I know I do not love like I should and only can go in the direction of believing Gods love is vastly greater than anyone who loves better than I do.

I can only rely on the mercy of God when I die if there is some religious thing I have to get figured out before then because no one else has a handle on the truth even if they think they do.

When it comes to doubting yourself because someone was not physically healed is a deception of a large degree.

So let me ask you a question.....

The person who you wanted physically healed, did you ever bring a smile to their face? If so, then you gave a gift that physical health cannot necessarily bring.

Something to think about anyway.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
The "ye of little faith" was not a criticism but merely a quote from Christ. You have most likely seen Him and not recognized Him but I can understand that you would like for Him to walk up to you and say "Hi Im Jesus Christ" or perhaps like He met the woman at the well. Would you be comfortable with Christ addressing you like He did that woman?

Are you kidding? I don't care HOW Jesus addresses me, as long as He addresses me. No, I have not seen Him to my knowledge and I've been paying attention. Even if He just showed up in a vision or a dream that would satisfy me but I would rather be awake and completely coherent. I want to SEE Him.....with these physical eyes. Like I said, even if it kills me.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:10 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
I believe the perception of physical healings is what can deceive us. I know people who have been healed who are miserable inside. I am in little need of physical healing when it comes to anything serious, and I am for the most part a miserable person when it comes right down to it.
Hmmm, maybe so. I'm right there with you on the miserable part, it's a daily battle that I have to fight and most of the time I have the edge but I have a little help from my family, friends and doctors.

Quote:
With that said, I'd trade my physical health for true happiness on earth. I am generally at ease with myself, but I know I do not love like I should and only can go in the direction of believing Gods love is vastly greater than anyone who loves better than I do.
I know what you mean, I would too. I don't love like I should either and it bothers me. I know that God is LOVE and I want to feel that kind of love RIGHT NOW.....I want to be in a constant state of love and it just doesn't work out that way for me. I know it doesn't work that way for anyone really, but love seems to elude some of us more than others.

Quote:
I can only rely on the mercy of God when I die if there is some religious thing I have to get figured out before then because no one else has a handle on the truth even if they think they do.
Absolutely!! Truer words have never been spoken.

Quote:
When it comes to doubting yourself because someone was not physically healed is a deception of a large degree.

So let me ask you a question.....

The person who you wanted physically healed, did you ever bring a smile to their face? If so, then you gave a gift that physical health cannot necessarily bring.

Something to think about anyway.
Yes, I most definitely brought smiles to my stepmother's face, but I also brought a lot of pain and suffering. She really seemed to understand me though, and was such a fantastic loving person and I wanted to emulate that. I've never been able to do that. Although I am "more" loving than I used to be, I am nowhere close to the kind of loving person that I think God requires. So, thank the good Lord above that He is so forgiving Phazelwood because we are just as worthy of it as anyone else.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:40 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,161,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Ilene, I understand what you are saying. I have pondered that many times. My view is that it has to be this way. For truth to be revealed, and for us to walk this path of knowledge and get everything out of walking it that we (as a whole) need to get out of it.

The time we spend on this earth is very short. Keep that in mind. Also think about your own growth... things that you have gone through to get where you are now.

I've had the thought (the kind of silly/humorous thought) in the past of "Why can't God just pull a huge zipper, unzip the sky, peer down and say 'hey! I'm real, now you all start loving each other! Don't make me come down there!' "

Then I think about Jesus. And the message he brought. And I think about how we are all in this together. And we're all on a journey TOGETHER. What is in our past affects our present and what is in our present affects our future. Everything happening is all tied in together and we are experiencing a sort of interactive unfolding of truth.

It has to be this way. For truth to unfold for us.
Look at how many run around talking about God yet.... their hearts aren't very loving. Look at how others say they don't even believe in God, yet look at how loving and selfless they are. I say, who is REALLY running around "talking about God" Is it not some of very ones who say they don't even believe in God? We are learning what is REAL, what is TRUTH... and what is just a dusty old meaningless "label".

And we couldn't learn all that we need to learn about the power of love and the destructive nature of non-love if we were not out here "on our own" so to speak. The illusion is that we really are not "on our own". But we need to be in order to discover.

Just like a good parent who lets their child play in the backyard "by theirself".... the parent is actually peering from inside through the window, keeping watch over them. The child doesn't see the parent, doesn't realize he is there. But he is. Meanwhile the child, with this new found freedom, is learning boundaries. Now take that to a colossal level, and I believe that is where we are at.

We are learning the most important things there are to learn... the power of love. (God is love) and the destructive nature of non-love. We are learning what the truth "love conquers all" really means. And we are learning this TOGETHER. ALL of us. All of creation. As individuals and as a whole. Each life is crucial. Each life will teach us something. We are one.

We are all in the backyard, so to speak... learning. The little child will eventually go back inside, and we all will eventually find ourselves, one day, back home as well. But with a much greater understanding of just what that really means.

Only God is not just peering through the window at us, God is within us as well guiding us, whispering in our hearts. In ALL of our hearts.

Well, I don't know if any of this made sense or helped at all. But it's just what came to mind, sitting here pondering this very question yet again.
Peace friend,
sparrow
Ilene, listen to sparrow here - she is exactly bang on - this is why God hasn't revealed Himself plainly (ie. unzip the sky saying "Hi, here I am!" LOL).

Try to look at this from the point of view of God (yes I realize this is difficult). You are creating all humanity, and you want them to be strong and patient, to learn to love, to forgive: to be good. For this to happen there must be some evil to overcome, some difficulty to bear (to understand goodness, to understand forgiveness, to understand how to love). All positive virtue is created by overcoming some kind of negative.

However if God was plainly obvious (ie. unzip the sky kind of obvious) everyone would just be in "bliss", but remain in ignorance. And as they say, ignorance is not bliss. No one would have any understanding. No one would learn what they need to learn. By necessity part of God's plan involves keeping Himself hidden for a time.

And no He is not completely hidden, but He is hidden nonetheless.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Ilene, listen to sparrow here - she is exactly bang on - this is why God hasn't revealed Himself plainly (ie. unzip the sky saying "Hi, here I am!" LOL).

Try to look at this from the point of view of God (yes I realize this is difficult). You are creating all humanity, and you want them to be strong and patient, to learn to love, to forgive: to be good. For this to happen there must be some evil to overcome, some difficulty to bear (to understand goodness, to understand forgiveness, to understand how to love). All positive virtue is created by overcoming some kind of negative.

However if God was plainly obvious (ie. unzip the sky kind of obvious) everyone would just be in "bliss", but remain in ignorance. And as they say, ignorance is not bliss. No one would have any understanding. No one would learn what they need to learn. By necessity part of God's plan involves keeping Himself hidden for a time.

And no He is not completely hidden, but He is hidden nonetheless.
I loved this post, and I told Sparrow that. I understand what you and Sparrow are saying and I agree but it doesn't satisfy me. God wants me to be strong and patient? LOL, we're in trouble. I'm still working on the learning to love part too. I've made some progress, but I'm not happy with where I am, a lot like Phazelwood I guess.

What you say makes sense and you're right, ignorance is not bliss and we were put here to learn. It's an ongoing process and I realize that but how do I put this nearly unbearable longing to see God aside? It's a personal problem, I know that but apparently I'm not the only one thinking about it, as some have voiced here.

I just think my faith and love would soar if I could just see God, just a glimpse. I know I shouldn't depend on that and I'll probably never get it and I have to learn to grow and love on my own with God's help but you know how a real "longing" can overwhelm you sometimes....it's quite frustrating.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:16 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,161,355 times
Quote:
God wants me to be strong and patient? LOL, we're in trouble.
Yeah I know what you mean .

But this should tell you God has alot more in store for you...

1 Cor 3:12 [NLT] Now we see things imperfectly as in a cloudy mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity...

How we would know hope if we saw everything right now?
Romans 8
For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have?
25 But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

There is that word "patiently" again...

Old 07-26-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Yeah I know what you mean .

But this should tell you God has alot more in store for you...

1 Cor 3:12 [NLT] Now we see things imperfectly as in a cloudy mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity...

How we would know hope if we saw everything right now?
Romans 8
For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have?
25 But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

There is that word "patiently" again...
Aw, thanks for the uplifting scriptures Legoman. And yes, there's that word again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity