Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:15 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,771,990 times

Advertisements

Christ was meek to all His revilers. Do you not revile those that revile you? Christ got revenge against no one, though He was able to destroy all His enemies in the wink of an eye. Do you not get revenge for any offense against you? Christ endured all things. Do you not complain and curse in any misfortune and suffering that comes your way?

So compare your soul with the life of Christ; and as you set your face before a mirror, set your soul before the mirror of the immaculate life of Christ, and take every care to correct and go after whatever you may see that is opposed to it. If you do so, then I assure you, that day by day you will become better, for it is impossible for him who looks often into that immaculate mirror and not to correct himself.

Whoever truly wishes to be with Christ must follow after Him. Whoever wishes to be like Christ in glory must be like Christ in the present life.

Saint Tikhon of Zadonsk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 08:14 AM

14,889 posts, read 17,174,505 times
"Did you realize that God is choosing very few people, who have been faithful to the end, to inherit His reign for the purpose of becoming pastors to the entire world? Think about why most people become Christians. There are wide varieties of reasons. The most prevalent, most popular, and most utilized reason is to escape torment. It is enough for most people to just narrowly escape God's judgment by entering the church, so they can wipe their brow, breath a sigh of relief, go to Heaven, and be happy as clams. Because of such false, watered-down doctrines like that, many people are completely unaware of the real weight and magnitude in the responsibility God gives to them that overcome...They are called to be Jesus Christ's instruments of judgment and healing as the Spirit operates though the body of Christ." S. Tipton

Old 05-20-2012, 12:35 PM

Old 05-21-2012, 06:28 AM

134 posts, read 155,376 times
"The myth of Christ served us well"- Pope Leo X

"I like your Christ.Though I don't like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."- Ghandi

Old 05-27-2012, 06:49 AM

When we have nothing left but God, we discover that God is enough - Anon

God bless and peace.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:13 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,569,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rj7237 View Post
"The myth of Christ served us well" - Pope Leo X
Most likely apocryphal as the earliest source is a Protestant from 50 years after his death. I mean he wasn't a great Pope, though he was apparently fairly benign to Jews, but it's likely a bad idea to include quotes people attribute to their enemies.

Although one meaning of "myth" is

A traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events

So many true stories told by tradition could be myths, in that sense. So Archimedes, Asoka, Mencius, and Spartacus could all be "mythical figures", while actually existing, perhaps.

I was going to look for a Catherine of Siena or Hildegard of Bingen quote. I didn't find much for Hildegard that worked.

Catherine of Siena

"Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire." (Original quote may have said Italy, a little unclear)

"Holy Spirit, come into my heart, and in your power draw it to you." Prayer 6

"Reflect that God requires nothing else of us except that we show our neighbors the love we have for God." Letter T89.

"He will provide the way and the means, such as you could never have imagined. Leave it all to Him, let go of yourself, lose yourself on the Cross, and you will find yourself entirely." Letter T316

"Now how can those who do not know their own sinfulness recognize and correct it in others? They are neither able nor willing to go against themselves." Dialogue 129.

"You are rewarded not according to your work or your time but according to the measure of your love." Dialogue 165

"You, eternal Trinity, are a deep sea. The more I enter you, the more I discover, and the more I discover, the more I seek you." Dialogue 167.

http://mcdermott.kenrickparish.com/Quotes.htm

Old 05-28-2012, 12:28 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,771,990 times
"...And what shall I say of anger, of discord, of strife: things which should have no place in the Christian heart? Let there be patience in the breast, and these things will have no place there! And should they try to enter they will speedily be excluded, and will depart, so that God may continue to have a peaceful abode in the heart where it pleases Him to dwell."

Saint Cyprian of Carthage

Old 05-28-2012, 01:50 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,253,818 times
"Jesus take the wheel."

Just kidding, Eusebius.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:48 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,332,396 times
"God is a very present help in the time of trouble..."

Old 05-28-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
"Jesus take the wheel."

Just kidding, Eusebius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity