Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:32 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,825,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Note my join date. I haven't been here a couple of years.

Being as I am a student of Theology, I was just curious why in some cases the word "doesn't mean" eternal (where it conflicts with UR theology), but in other cases it means eternal (when it doesn't conflict with UR theology). That's just how my mind works.
Because UR only works by stretching & twisting Scripture. Such believers don't like the thought of God's judgment (who does?), so they dismiss it, which makes them feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 07:38 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,774,543 times
Quote:

Being as I am a student of Theology, I was just curious why in some cases the word "doesn't mean" eternal (where it conflicts with UR theology), but in other cases it means eternal (when it doesn't conflict with UR theology). That's just how my mind works.
If you are truly interested in the biblical Universalist perspective, here is a link that describes in detail one of the arguments presented by Universalists.

AIN -- AINIOS

Old 07-27-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Because UR only works by stretching & twisting Scripture. Such believers don't like the thought of God's judgment (who does?), so they dismiss it, which makes them feel better.
Again another misrepresentation of what Christian Universalists believe by a fundamentalist, based on ignorance and prejudicial presupposition.

We believe that Gods judgments are for the purpose of making one learn righteousness, and for purification and correction. That is not to say that we do not believe in Gods judgments, but that we have a very different understanding of the purpose for Gods judgments than fundamentalists do.

So while i appreciate that you believe that we twist the scriptures, i will ask you not to twist our words and misrepresent our beliefs in order to create a strawman argument for your critical denunciations.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 07-27-2011 at 08:02 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 07:55 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,354,649 times
Quote:
There are many fundamental christians who have a hard time accepting that mercy triumph's over judgement(James 2:13), a hard time accepting the fact that God is more generous than their own understanding of it(Matt 20:15),that His love is beyond what we could ever imagine(why don't you fundy's ever contemplate this ?),and dismiss the love of God, with sayings such as "He's wrath too", which is nowhere to be found in the scriptures they literally believe. They blindly believe that believing all the right stuff is what God is pleased with,when what He's really pleased with is His life made manifest in our lives(By this shall all men know you are my disciples,if you have all the right belief's ? no and a thousand times no, if you have love for one another).

Old 07-27-2011, 08:06 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,825,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Again another misrepresentation of what Christian Universalists believe by a fundamentalist, based on ignorance and prejudicial presupposition.
No, based on Scripture, and it's original meaning, as Mr5150 pointed out.

Quote:
We believe that Gods judgments are for the purpose of making one learn righteousness, and for purification and correction. That is not to say that we do not believe in Gods judgments, but that we have a very different understanding of the purpose for Gods judgments than fundamentalists do.
This "theology" is nowhere to to be found in Scripture.

Quote:
So while i appreciate that you believe that we twist the scriptures, i will ask you not to twist our words and misrepresent our beliefs in order to create a strawman argument for your critical denunciations.
I know what you believe. Hell is temporary. Again, not according to Holy Scripture.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:10 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,142,195 times
Quote:

Did you read what I said in post #2 and #3?
It doesn't mean eternal.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
No, based on Scripture, and it's original meaning, as Mr5150 pointed out.

This "theology" is nowhere to to be found in Scripture.

I know what you believe. Hell is temporary. Again, not according to Holy Scripture.
You are free to believe anything that makes you happy. It seems to me that you are obviously incapable of even considering the mountain of evidences which support what we believe both within the context of the scriptures as well as historically.

And thank you for refusing to try to understand what we really believe and for misrepresenting what we believe as well, because it only proves the disingenuous nature of the false religion you are programmed to believe and defend.

Perhaps one day you will actually care enough about the truth to question what you have been trained to believe, and begin to think for yourself and stop subscribing to the terrorist traditions of the mystery Babylon.

Until then, please continue to provide excellent contrast to the true Gospel with your rendition of the false gospel of eternal death and everlasting sin. And never fear, we will continue to show the errors of this false doctrine ...

In the case of the question of the OP ... Here is another link to more info on the meaning of the word "aionios".

http://thefaithofjesus.blogspot.com/...ck-future.html

The above link is to a a segment from William Barclay's "New Testament Word:" and is not a Christian Universalist argument, but an argument for the case of Conditional Immortality though he nevertheless agrees that the meaning of the word "aionios" is "of the age".

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 07-27-2011 at 08:31 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 08:46 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,572,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Did you read what I said in post #2 and #3?
It doesn't mean eternal.
So what your saying is that the word, as you interpret it doesn't mean eternaL Therefore (IYO) we really don't have eternal life, according to the UR (as you see it POV). We just have an age long life. Well that sucks. I wuz hoping to have eternal life.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:02 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,572,018 times
Quote:
I've noticed that.

But this thread is really about my observation and wanting clairification why the word aiōnion is rendered as age by the UR folk in certain parts of scripture that pertain to judgement and eternal in the parts that talk about the destiny of those who accept Christ. IMO you really can't have it both ways. Regardless of well thought out arguemts provided in UR links. Either the word means eternal or age. Can't have it both ways

Old 07-27-2011, 09:12 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,413,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Eternal means eternal, - it has no end.
A single-line of thought; it also has no beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity