Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 05:49 PM

5,608 posts, read 6,536,726 times

Advertisements

I am ministering to my husband, and he has asked how can God and Jesus Christ forgive him for his sins when he cannot forgive himself. Are there any verses I can refer to him?

Thanks for the "Hope" verses that I received. I used them to minister to him about having hope, and I will use them again, many times, I am sure.

God Bless all of my Christian respondents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 05:59 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,354,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I am ministering to my husband, and he has asked how can God and Jesus Christ forgive him for his sins when he cannot forgive himself. Are there any verses I can refer to him?

Thanks for the "Hope" verses that I received. I used them to minister to him about having hope, and I will use them again, many times, I am sure.

God Bless all of my Christian respondents.
God is not counting against your husband that which he's holding against hmself.

that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 2 Cor 5:19

Old 07-28-2011, 07:51 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,229,256 times
"Therefore this is what the Lord says, 'If you repent, I will restore you that you may serve me.'" (Jeremiah 15:19)

"Blessed (happy) is he whose transgressions are forgiven, who sins are covered. Blessed (happy) is the man whose sin the Lord doesn't count against him and in whose spirit is no deceit." (Psalm 32:1,2)

"I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more." (Isaiah 43:25)

"It is possible for the Lord to look at us without seeing our sins because when he forgave us, he removed our sins as far as the east is from the west" (Psalm 103:12)

God forgives people not because they are worthy to be forgiven, but because of what Jesus did for them. The Bible says without the shedding of blood there is no forgives of sins. Jesus became the ultimate and once-and-for-all sacrifice for our sins. By faith in His work on the cross, Jesus righteousness is imputed on believers so that now God may forgive them. Since God forgives us, there is no reason why we should not forgive ourselves.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:01 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,949,097 times
pcamps posted this a long time ago. It's worth a repeat:

Quote:
If you are a believer or unbeliever under condemnation

Please read the following verses to be freed from it.

13And you, being dead in offences and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, he has quickened together with him, having forgiven us all the offences;
14having effaced the handwriting in ordinances which [stood out] against us, which was contrary to us, he has taken it also out of the way, having nailed it to the cross;

19how that God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, not reckoning to them their offences; and putting in us the word of that reconciliation.

God is not mad or angry with you . He is not reckoning your sin against you , you are reckoning it against yourself .

How can you not want to love Him in return for what He as done for us .

Old 07-28-2011, 08:16 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,949,097 times
Just some things for your husband:

self-condemnation does nothing to glorify God. It does nothing. What you are saying is that your sins are worth MORE than God's love. That your wrongs carry far more weight than God's love. Is that what you really want to proclaim...?

God sees the real you. God sees what you will become. He knows what you will walk through, what you will go through, and He is beside you at all times. He knows every hair on your head. Nothing surprises the one who created you. Remember the one who created you subjected you... SUBJECTED you to this futility. For a reason. You are learning.

Self-condemnation is selfish when you really think about it. You are focusing too much on yourself. I say this as someone who has been NECK DEEP in self condemnation. To the point where I couldn't even bring myself to crawl out of bed. I know this all too well. and I know where the healing comes from. Take that energy and put it outwards to others. Focus on love and loving others. When you do that, you will find it easier to love yourself and forgive yourself. When you forgive yourself for things you did that were wrong, you are allowing LOVE to flow through your being and heal you so that you can turn around and give it to someone else. This is how much God loves us. Love keeps no records of wrongs. Remember that. God is love. What an awe-inspiring truth. What a thing to contemplate.

Just remember that everything you go through, all of your wrongs that you do, you can take that and have SYMPATHY and COMPASSION for someone else who may follow your same path in the future. You have no idea how much that is worth. That is worth it's weight in gold, friend.
God can use ANYTHING and EVERYTHING.

Remember our sorrow will turn to laughter...
There are many times in my life where that has come true.
Don't dwell on your shortcomings, see them as stepping stones to learning. Stepping stones to becoming a more compassionate and forgiving and loving person in this world.

Let things go. Move on. and get busy spreading the love in this love-starved world.

peace... I hope you become free soon, that is what glorifies God...
Love is the most powerful thing there is.
Believe it.

If you or he needs any support or anything, please DM me.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:53 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,413,669 times

If you live with the ongoing regrets of yesterday; you will never enjoy tomorrow.
Forgiveness is not a gift for the other person, it is for each and everyone of us!

Old 07-29-2011, 03:03 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,030,177 times
"Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins."—1 John 4:10.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:41 AM

9,697 posts, read 10,046,682 times
The one I have heard some preacher , preach against is from the old stand up comedian Flip Wilson back in 1970 used to say ``The devil made me buy this dress, I did not want it , He made me buy it ``He would be dressed up in drag with a character called Geraldine Jones....... But I have alway thought that these preachers said this by a root of condemnation in their preaching and there is nothing wrong with blaming the devil since there is No mercy for the devil coming from God ... as long as this blaming never gave rise to authority of hate , but was used a release from unforgivness against people or myself , just give it to The Lord repent, ask forgiveness and turn away............. Heard people who received healing from the Lord after they stopped blaming themselves and asked forgiveness and was released to receive healing for their body.... For Jesus said in Matthew 6: 14-15....`For is we forgive men their trespasses, your Heavenly Father will also Forgive you.....For if we forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses....

Old 07-31-2011, 12:13 PM

5,608 posts, read 6,536,726 times
Many thanks to all who responded. God Bless You All!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity