Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:39 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,088,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, I did not imply anything in post #12. In that post I said it is good to go to church, and then I listed the Biblical reasons why it is a good idea:

- Church is the place where believers can love one another (1 John 4:12),
- encourage one another (Hebrews 3:13),
- “spur” one another (Hebrews 10:24),
- serve one another (Galatians 5:13),
- instruct one another (Romans 15:14),
- honor one another (Romans 12:10),
- and be kind and compassionate to one another (Ephesians 4:32).

So, it is a good idea to attend, but you seem to think that if you attend, then it should somehow mean that these people do not do anything else to serve the Lord, and I think you are mistaken about that. A lot of church goers serve among the unbelievers, the poor, the sick, the imprisoned etc.
I'm sorry, but the way you wrote it, a lot of people thought you were being snobby and saying those that didn't agree with you weren't "God's people." Organizing does acomplish a lot of good things, I'll give you that. Of course, the article wasn't talking about those christians that serve outside their churches, it was focused on those that had their own made-up lingo and less "historical" beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 09:38 PM

8,186 posts, read 6,965,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
So, Heartsong, Sparrow ... why do you find it irritating? I'm curious.

I don't like it because to me, it excludes people who don't understand the jargon. (I wasn't born into a religion, really. I didn't attend church growing up, so hearing all this "blood" talk and "slain in the spirit" and on and on.... really did nothing for me wanting to even find out what these people were talking about. To me, it sounded bizarre and like they were talking in code. I'm just being honest. It helped to KEEP me on the outside. I hope I am explaining this ok.)

And for me, I think so much religious stuff is unnecessary. I think the real message is a simple yet powerful one and there is so much fluff and "secret code words" so to speak that just are... unnecessary.

and then in the article, I read the words "name it and claim it" and I had to stop reading. That was what was "nails on a chalkboard" to me. It makes me think of prosperity preachers and the like.

Last edited by .sparrow.; 08-01-2011 at 09:53 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 09:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,600 times
no never

Old 08-02-2011, 04:40 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,800,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I'm sorry, but the way you wrote it, a lot of people thought you were being snobby and saying those that didn't agree with you weren't "God's people."
I don't think so. I think that you are once again pretending to know what "a lot of people" think.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:07 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,440,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Not sure if Sparrow finds the over-used Christian phraseology irritating. I do because I've been in enough church circles to know that it's just a lingo that people pick up when they are around certain people. For example, if you turn on certain Christian TV Networks (which I've not done in years), you might hear a man scream J-E-Z-U-S! Then he might slap somone upside the head and say "Be healed in the na-MA! Ove J-E-Z-U-S! Then he might start babbling a funny sounding phrase over and over that makes no sense whatsoever. It's like a show.

That's just one example. Perhaps if you entered a very orthodox church, perhaps Catholic or Episcopalian, you might see someone standing in a very ornate, golden looking raised platform using very formal sounding prayers, maybe using King James type language, or even Latin. It just sounds unnatural to the ear. If it's a Methodist church, the congregants read responses on queue that are pre-written. I once went to a Catholic funeral - it was one of the strangest life experiences I've ever had.

In the Baptist church, there was always great pressure to get visitors to "walk the aisle" or "come up to the altar", etc... There is almost a sense of being under attack in many religious settings. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm allergic to church
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I don't like it because to me, it excludes people who don't understand the jargon. (I wasn't born into a religion, really. I didn't attend church growing up, so hearing all this "blood" talk and "slain in the spirit" and on and on.... really did nothing for me wanting to even find out what these people were talking about. To me, it sounded bizarre and like they were talking in code. I'm just being honest. It helped to KEEP me on the outside. I hope I am explaining this ok.)

And for me, I think so much religious stuff is unnecessary. I think the real message is a simple yet powerful one and there is so much fluff and "secret code words" so to speak that just are... unnecessary.

and then in the article, I read the words "name it and claim it" and I had to stop reading. That was what was "nails on a chalkboard" to me. It makes me think of prosperity preachers and the like.
Okay, thanks guys. Personally, I come from a very convservative, liturgical, and doctrine-oriented denomination, so when I think of Church jargon, I think more of that kind of language (eg. propitiation, sanctification, original sin, etc.) than some of the slang terms. But I do agree, sparrow ... they still come off like secret code words and are exclusionary. Even words like "saved" ... what does that word even mean to someone who isn't a Christian? It even means different things among Christians themselves, so I'm sure it would be confusing to someone not familiar with Christianity.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:23 AM

64,026 posts, read 40,336,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I'm sorry, but the way you wrote it, a lot of people thought you were being snobby and saying those that didn't agree with you weren't "God's people."
Quote:
I don't think so. I think that you are once again pretending to know what "a lot of people" think.
Actually that is a very accurate statement of your view of those who do not agree with you and still claim to be Christian. You are convinced that you are a true Christian and those in disagreement (especially UR) are not. It is undeniably snobby and exclusive.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:27 AM

88,869 posts, read 85,336,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Saw this on the belief section of CNN and was reminded of how I find 'Christian-ese' rather irritating, though I used to speak it as well.

Do you speak Christian? – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs
Oh, I have to read the book mentioned in that article. I can't stand it when people speak that way. The church I attend doesn't tend to use these rhetorical catchphrases, either.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:52 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,800,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh, I have to read the book mentioned in that article. I can't stand it when people speak that way. The church I attend doesn't tend to use these rhetorical catchphrases, either.
I have never heard most of that lingo, so I don't think it can be very common.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:00 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,151,016 times
A bit of humor relating to the OP:

Parishioner A: I found Jesus!
Parishioner B: Great... I didn't realize He was missing!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:07 AM

88,869 posts, read 85,336,177 times
Quote:
I have never heard most of that lingo, so I don't think it can be very common.
I've heard a few people I worked with speak it, and I have an old friend who became "born-again" some years ago and peppers her speech with the jargon.

I was thinking about it, and it isn't just the Christian-speak that annoys me, it's any group that adopts a trendy little lingo. AA people have their own set of catchphrases and buzzwords, for example, and so do businesspeople--I can't tell you how many phrases I've sat in meetings and listened to over the years and watched as certain people adopt certain phrases and then use them over and over again and then it spreads to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity