Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:07 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,423,338 times

Advertisements

I've heard ALL the lingo, and I haven't been to church in an age.

Extra points to the author for pointing out that "The Rapture" is a recent invention. It can't be said often enough.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 10:12 AM

88,732 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I've heard ALL the lingo, and I haven't been to church in an age.

Extra points to the author for pointing out that "The Rapture" is a recent invention. It can't be said often enough.

LOL, I'm old enough to remember when people first started describing themselves as born-again Christians! That's also a relatively new trend, although it's been decades now and seems firmly ensconced in our society.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:16 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,736,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've heard a few people I worked with speak it, and I have an old friend who became "born-again" some years ago and peppers her speech with the jargon.

I was thinking about it, and it isn't just the Christian-speak that annoys me, it's any group that adopts a trendy little lingo. AA people have their own set of catchphrases and buzzwords, for example, and so do businesspeople--I can't tell you how many phrases I've sat in meetings and listened to over the years and watched as certain people adopt certain phrases and then use them over and over again and then it spreads to others.
It is what it is. Every hobby and sport has its own lingo. It is the only easy way to communicate certain things relating to something specific. In golf, a ball which turns from left to right is called 'slice', and while it may not mean anything to a bystander, a golfer knows exactly what it means.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
LOL, I'm old enough to remember when people first started describing themselves as born-again Christians! That's also a relatively new trend, although it's been decades now and seems firmly ensconced in our society.
Well 'born again' has been around ever since Jesus first said it.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is what it is. Every hobby and sport has its own lingo. It is the only easy way to communicate certain things relating to something specific. In golf, a ball which turns from left to right is called 'slice', and while it may not mean anything to a bystander, a golfer knows exactly what it means.
There's one now!

Your example is different, though. There are TERMS specific to golf or to a particular industry that a person must know.

Christians do not have to use the jargony, trendy terms du jour to know what Christianity is. They can just speak plainly. The so-called Christian-speak is sort of a "wink-wink-look-at-me-I'm-a-special-insider" affectation.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
There's one now!

Your example is different, though. There are TERMS specific to golf or to a particular industry that a person must know.

Christians do not have to use the jargony, trendy terms du jour to know what Christianity is. They can just speak plainly. The so-called Christian-speak is sort of a "wink-wink-look-at-me-I'm-a-special-insider" affectation.
I don't think there is anything trendy in words like 'born again' as I think it has been around for as long as Christianity. I guess some people always find ways to be offended and some others couldn't be happier is ALL references to Christianity were somehow removed.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:34 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,420,964 times
Quote:
I think that can be the attitude of some, but I sincerely doubt it is the attitude of most. I'm with Finn on this one ... there's often going to be vocabulary that is specific to different groups simply for ease of communication. The problem is, of course, that if the purpose of Christianity is to be inclusive and reach people with their message, it does put up barriers and make people feel like outsiders who aren't familiar with the vocabulary. It would make sense to try to eliminate those special terms as much as possible, I would think.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't think there is anything trendy in words like 'born again' as I think it has been around for as long as Christianity. I guess some people always find ways to be offended and some others couldn't be happier is ALL references to Christianity were somehow removed.
It's true that the term born-again itself has been around since the story of Nicodemus, but people did not refer to themselves as "born-again Christians" until only recently.

Regarding your last sentence--probably, but I really don't know any people like that myself. Maybe some CD posters, though, using the anonymity of the Internet.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I think that can be the attitude of some, but I sincerely doubt it is the attitude of most. I'm with Finn on this one ... there's often going to be vocabulary that is specific to different groups simply for ease of communication. The problem is, of course, that if the purpose of Christianity is to be inclusive and reach people with their message, it does put up barriers and make people feel like outsiders who aren't familiar with the vocabulary. It would make sense to try to eliminate those special terms as much as possible, I would think.
I agree wholeheartedly with that--Christianity is not some sort of exclusive club.

But again--not all Christians use some of the more trendy terms, maybe it's only peculiar to certain denominations. People don't speak that way in my church, but I've certainly heard these terms and phrases used amongst other Christians. The point is, they aren't universal amongst Christians.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:40 PM

4,625 posts, read 6,463,577 times
Bless God, I'm more than a conqueror, the head and not the tail, blessed beyond measure, I name it and claim it cause I'm blessed and highly favored! Glory!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity