Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 01:49 PM

817 posts, read 740,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I quote from the book of Isaiah more often than the others, since it serves as a miniature bible having 66 chapters just like the 66 books the canon has. It serves as a map for me. For instance, the 40th book should be the NT with John the Baptist as the forerunner, in Isaiah chap 40, you would notice that It speaks of "the voice in the wilderness...." I use this book as my guide (not that it is infallible.)
Thank you so much for telling me about that.

I do need to read more of the Old Testament, and never read Isaiah all the way through. I'm going to read it right away (and then I'll get back to you of course!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 02:01 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,594,419 times
The biggest problem that any Christian has in not accepting the law of God is that Jesus both accepted it, lived it perfectly and new that it was the complete truth.

The scribes and pharasies had this same problem with Jesus. They thought He was teaching a new thing, something that was contrary to the law and the prophets. Jesus answered them thus, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fullfill {carry out} them. For truly I say to you, until Heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot will pass from the law until all is accomplished. Mat.5, 17-18.

The problem both back then and today is that very few people understand God's law. It'a the spirit of the law and not the letter of the law that is important and should be very apparent in all Christians lives. After all the definition of "Righteousness"is both the love of and the conformity to God's Law.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:22 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,220,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The biggest problem that any Christian has in not accepting the law of God is that Jesus both accepted it, lived it perfectly and new that it was the complete truth.

The scribes and pharasies had this same problem with Jesus. They thought He was teaching a new thing, something that was contrary to the law and the prophets. Jesus answered them thus, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fullfill {carry out} them. For truly I say to you, until Heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot will pass from the law until all is accomplished. Mat.5, 17-18.

The problem both back then and today is that very few people understand God's law. It'a the spirit of the law and not the letter of the law that is important and should be very apparent in all Christians lives. After all the definition of "Righteousness"is both the love of and the conformity to God's Law.
Matthew 22

36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And He said to him, “ ‘YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.’ 38 This is the great and foremost commandment. 39 The second is like it, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’ 40 On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”

I can't see where there could be any confusion or misunderstanding regarding God's Law...which is simply to LOVE. Jesus couldn't have dumbed it down any more than he did. I think the problems ensue because egoic/carnal people don't want to LOVE like Jesus did...their egos won't allow them to and they really don't want to spend the time involved following the path Jesus laid out for us to get control of it.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:42 PM

63,924 posts, read 40,194,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Matthew 22

36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And He said to him, “ ‘YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.’ 38 This is the great and foremost commandment. 39 The second is like it, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’ 40 On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”

I can't see where there could be any confusion or misunderstanding regarding God's Law...which is simply to LOVE. Jesus couldn't have dumbed it down any more than he did. I think the problems ensue because egoic/carnal people don't want to LOVE like Jesus did...their egos won't allow them to and they really don't want to spend the time involved following the path Jesus laid out for us to get control of it.
Amen! It is so much easier to rely on proclamations of belief IN than to live in confirmation of believe ON. Let the magic "blood" cover any imperfections in the "savage breast" rather than let Christ's Love for us ALL lead us in our daily lives (and in repentance when we don't). One is believing IN Christ . . . the other is believing ON and following Him.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:43 PM

9,695 posts, read 10,040,259 times
Some of the Old Testament law was a shadow of Jesus Christ and His anointing of the Temple of the Holy Spirit for the anointed believers today, as the tabernacle in the wilderness were Moses was called to worship the Lord in the wilderness with the people of Israel he brought out of Egypt........ See there was a large court around the tabernacle that was made of Rams skins which represents the hedge around the Temple of the Holy Spirit on a believer..... there was a gate to the tabernacle was made of finely twisted linen of purple, scarlet, and blue color which represents the Royal priest hood dwelling place of the Lord ......The brazen altar of the burn offering were bulls and goat and dove were sacrificed represent the anointing of the Blood of Jesus who died on the cross and became the lamb of God .......The laver or basin for cleaning of the priest hand and feet represent to the temple of the Holy Spirit a cleaning for their walk with the Lord and renewal of the mind and spirit to the purpose of the Lord .......the golden lampstand of seven lights represent the light of the Lord of the goodness of heaven ........table of the showbread were the priest was to eat twelve loaves of unleavened bread represents the unity of the twelve brothers of Jacob or Israel and the unleavened bread represent a not puff up of proud bread of Life and this represent the character of the Lord Jesus , this bread also represent that persecution of the believers to resist taking the glory from God as the priest is call to eat the bread to the Lord and not to himself glory........table of the incense represents prayer and intersession to the Lord ......the Arch of the Covenant in the Holy of the Holy Places were the dwelling place of the Lord as place were only the purest of the pure would dare to go and this represents the anointing of the boldness ........ See Moses got the shadow of Jesus Temple of the Holy Spirit and believer today got the real thing in the spirit ... Glory to God .....

Old 08-30-2011, 05:22 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,594,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Matthew 22

Well, I sure have seen a lot of problems, misunderstandings and all kinds of trouble in the lives of people because they misunderstand God's kaw

How many self deluded people are their out there who think that in some way they ran higher in God;s sight because they at least in their own minds follow the Law. How many holier than thou Christians have you met in your life. Personally, I've met thousands. How many mislead preachers have you heard up there spouting out garbage about their favorite sin of the week? That all comes from misunderstanding God's law.
This is what I like to hear in a church service. The gospel preached. That's it totally and nothing else. We are very definitely told to do that and not to preach against this and that behaviour. It's fine to preach about sin because that is a very important aaspect of the Gospel message but as soon as a pastor starts on about "sins" which is quite different, I'm otta there.

Preach the gospel, God uses that message to save people and then HE deals with their sins.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:53 PM

689 posts, read 550,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWitnesses View Post
Regarding the "False Concept of God" that some say can be found in the OT...what are your thoughts on that?

Was there a false concept of God?

Do you agree with all of what was contained in the Law?
I doubt more about our human intelligence than doubting the Holy Bible. We are so self-centered to think that we are in a position to judge. In a biblical saying, we eat too much from the Tree of Knowledge of good and evil to think that we are in God's position to judge, judge not only people but God's Word itself. The day we eat of it, the same day we shall surely die. That's the warning.

God won't allow His Word to be half true and half not. He won't deceive people with an false OT part and a true NT part. Human comprehension power is the part to be doubted, not the OT or NT or the Bible as a whole.

Last edited by Hawkins; 08-30-2011 at 07:01 PM..

Old 08-30-2011, 07:18 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,772,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
I doubt more about our human intelligence than doubting the Holy Bible. We are so self-centered to think that we are in a position to judge. In a biblical saying, we eat too much from the Tree of Knowledge of good and evil to think that we are in God's position to judge, judge not only people but God's Word itself. The day we eat of it, the same day we shall surely die. That's the warning.

God won't allow His Word to be half true and half not. He won't deceive people with an false OT part and a true NT part. Human comprehension power is the part to be doubted, not the OT or NT or the Bible as a whole.
How very idealistic, though at the same time how very naive ... Not only is what you wrote above not realistic, it is not even scriptural.

The Scriptures plainly state that God hides the truth, even so much that Christ himself spoke in parables so that most people would NOT understand what he meant, and also God sends "strong delusion" and also "hardens" hearts so that they do not believe or even do what their conscience would otherwise dictate, as in the case of Pharaoh ...

Maybe in Churchianity land what you believe is true, but in the real world Christ specifically rejected the false law of Eye for an Eye and all that goes along with it. Trying to mix the old covenant of the law of sin and death with the new covenant of the Gospel of love and life is like mixing oil and water, its like putting new wine in old wine skins.

The only purpose of the law was to condemn us and strengthen sin in our lives, so that we might understand our need for Christ and his work in the world and in our lives.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 08-30-2011 at 07:59 PM..

Old 08-31-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen! It is so much easier to rely on proclamations of belief IN than to live in confirmation of believe ON. Let the magic "blood" cover any imperfections in the "savage breast" rather than let Christ's Love for us ALL lead us in our daily lives (and in repentance when we don't). One is believing IN Christ . . . the other is believing ON and following Him.
There has been an interesting comparison to the "magic blood" concept that you are referring to and ancient blood cults where sacrifices were made to appease the Gods. The idea that a human sacrifice was needed to appease God doesn't quite sound right...and why would this "pay for our sins" other than to appease such a God? How could this be a payment?

Old 08-31-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Some of the Old Testament law was a shadow of Jesus Christ and His anointing of the Temple of the Holy Spirit for the anointed believers today, as the tabernacle in the wilderness were Moses was called to worship the Lord in the wilderness with the people of Israel he brought out of Egypt........ See there was a large court around the tabernacle that was made of Rams skins which represents the hedge around the Temple of the Holy Spirit on a believer..... there was a gate to the tabernacle was made of finely twisted linen of purple, scarlet, and blue color which represents the Royal priest hood dwelling place of the Lord ......The brazen altar of the burn offering were bulls and goat and dove were sacrificed represent the anointing of the Blood of Jesus who died on the cross and became the lamb of God .......The laver or basin for cleaning of the priest hand and feet represent to the temple of the Holy Spirit a cleaning for their walk with the Lord and renewal of the mind and spirit to the purpose of the Lord .......the golden lampstand of seven lights represent the light of the Lord of the goodness of heaven ........table of the showbread were the priest was to eat twelve loaves of unleavened bread represents the unity of the twelve brothers of Jacob or Israel and the unleavened bread represent a not puff up of proud bread of Life and this represent the character of the Lord Jesus , this bread also represent that persecution of the believers to resist taking the glory from God as the priest is call to eat the bread to the Lord and not to himself glory........table of the incense represents prayer and intersession to the Lord ......the Arch of the Covenant in the Holy of the Holy Places were the dwelling place of the Lord as place were only the purest of the pure would dare to go and this represents the anointing of the boldness ........ See Moses got the shadow of Jesus Temple of the Holy Spirit and believer today got the real thing in the spirit ... Glory to God .....
How does this compare to the Pagan practices..or the Egyptian practices?

On a slightly different note...in reading some of Isaiah, I found in Isaiah 1:11 a passage where God says he is not pleased at all by the sacrifices of animals. I didn't have to look too far to find what I was looking for!

Isaiah 1:11 reads: "To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats"

This is what I was hoping to see. Mystic..you might like this. It's one of the prophets who actually has a CORRECT take on God! I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity