Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 08:09 PM

337 posts, read 409,067 times

Advertisements

There is no theology in heaven, just a loving relationship with the creator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 08:35 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And what about the ones who never had a chance to accept Jesus? Please don't tell me you don't believe there are such people.
That's a great question. Naturally, there are people who have never even heard the name "Jesus" so, then what? People always used to say, "What about the pygmy tribes in Africa who've never heard of Jesus?"

God covers that in scripture.

Every person is accountable to God whether or not they've heard of Jesus. Romans 1:20 says that God has very clearly revealed Himself in nature. And in Ecclesiastes 3:11, it says that God has revealed Himself in people's hearts. But, when you read on the next few verses in Romans 1: 21-23, it says that the problem is that people are sinful and we reject this knowledge of God. Both what we're told of Him and what we see of Him in nature.

It's God's grace that allows us to overcome this and learn how miserable life is without Him. (verses 24-32.)

Even before Jesus entered the picture in the New Testament, the Old Testament says in Deuteronomy 4:29, “But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.” This verse teaches an important principle -- everyone who truly seeks after God will find Him. If a person truly desires to know God, God will make Himself known.

So, the debate over the fairness of God sending someone to hell who never had the opportunity to hear the gospel of Christ is without any valid points. People are responsible to God for what God has already revealed to them. The Bible says that people reject this knowledge, and therefore God is just in condemning them to hell.

If it's assumed that those who never hear the gospel are granted mercy from God, then it would make more sense to make sure that the gospel is NEVER preached to give every person an excuse. But, that's not how it works. Why run the risk of people possibly rejecting the gospel and condemning themselves when they were previously saved because they had never heard the gospel?

Old 11-09-2011, 09:35 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
...when you arrived in heaven and you discovered that His plan for those who said no thanks to Jesus when they were alive did not line up with your theology?

I am not asking what one thinks the Bible says, but am asking what your decision would be. What your reaction would be. That sort of thing.

Me: I have always believed God is soveriegn and who am I to tell God how to run things. I would not reject God even if my theology is wrong in this area.
I think all of our theologies, wisdom and pride will remain in the grave with our dead flesh and blood as we will be raised as spiritual bodies..

When we are in Hs presence no one will have the capacity to reject Him..We will finally see and understand the magnitude of our Creators love..

Old 11-09-2011, 09:38 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
I am sure that eventually, there will be a few things that I am wrong about, but my guess is that they are minor things, that are not fundamental doctrines. For example, lots of Christians have ideas of what the punishment of hell/ eternal punishment might be. However, its possible that it isn't burning forever. It could be that the eternal punishment is that they are destroyed and cease to exist for the rest of eternity. Whatever it is, I'm sure I will not be upset.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:50 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
The Bible talks more about hell than it does about heaven. It mentions over and over that those who reject God will go there and that it's permanent. Eternal. How do you get around those verses? It's nice to know that God is love and that He's merciful and forgiving, but you ignore His sovereignty, His holiness, and that He is just.
The Bible is NOT Jesus Christ. There is nothing Holy and certainly nothing Just about eternally tormenting anyone without purpose . . . NOTHING! Chastisement without end has no purpose and can never be Just or Holy.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:23 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
The Bible talks more about hell than it does about heaven.
In reality, that would be incorrect.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:53 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I think all of our theologies, wisdom and pride will remain in the grave with our dead flesh and blood as we will be raised as spiritual bodies..

When we are in His presence no one will have the capacity to reject Him..We will finally see and understand the magnitude of our Creators love..
Amen, Miss Blue . . . it is truly unmistakable and irresistible . . . beyond description.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:56 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,510 times
God, as you said, is GOD...I would no way reject Him! I'd look at myself and study or hope to realize why and how I was so wrong about it all.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:50 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,573 times
Quote:
If, in His wisdom, He decided to send me to hell, then yes, I would absolutely know that it is just.
I appreciate your honesty in understanding that your beliefs may not save you.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:03 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I am sure that eventually, there will be a few things that I am wrong about, but my guess is that they are minor things, that are not fundamental doctrines. For example, lots of Christians have ideas of what the punishment of hell/ eternal punishment might be. However, its possible that it isn't burning forever. It could be that the eternal punishment is that they are destroyed and cease to exist for the rest of eternity. Whatever it is, I'm sure I will not be upset.

So if your wrong and your beliefs end you up in hell, you won't be that upset about it? Interesting.

However, I think the OP touches upon a point many have missed.

The question I think is if your beliefs are wrong and your facing God, will you then accept this God even though this God would be everything you stood against here on earth?

I like the OPs understanding that we may have that choice in the afterlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity