Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 07:37 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Nothing to disagree with there . . . But absolutely nothing we know about Jesus, His life, His teachings, His Love for us ALL, and His death could ever in any way be used to infer that He would ever countenance even the existence of a Hell of eternal torment . . . NOTHING! So defending and supporting such an evil concept is completely Un-Christian.
It's not. It's very Christian, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 08:38 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,367,648 times
You cannot love God when anything and everything you do and say risks the possibility of you being sent to eternal hell.

Why can't people understand this???

If someone tied you up and told you to love them or else be tortured, OF COURSE you'd tell them how much you loved them!!!

Peace,
brian

Old 11-10-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
It's not. It's very Christian, actually.
Can you elaborate?

Blessings,
brian

Old 11-10-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
You cannot love God when anything and everything you do and say risks the possibility of you being sent to eternal hell.

Why can't people understand this???

If someone tied you up and told you to love them or else be tortured, OF COURSE you'd tell them how much you loved them!!!

Peace,
brian
Get out of here with that stupid strawman argument.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Get out of here with that stupid strawman argument.
I see no strawman here, my friend. If your choice is to "love God or else..," I don't see much freedom or genuine love in that. Can't be done.

That's why so much religion seems so hokey to me: because the people worship God because they don't have any choice!

Blessings,
brian

Old 11-10-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think it would be pretty stupid for any of us to "reject God" because we didn't like how He did things.
Stupid or not, many people do just that. They want freedom from God and eventually they get it. C. S. Lewis said, "I willingly believe that the damned are, in one sense, successful, rebels to the end; that the doors of hell are locked on the inside."

Old 11-10-2011, 09:48 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Stupid or not, many people do just that. They want freedom from God and eventually they get it. C. S. Lewis said, "I willingly believe that the damned are, in one sense, successful, rebels to the end; that the doors of hell are locked on the inside."
Well as much as I like CS Lewis, he got that one wrong, because Jesus as a set of keys that can open up anything even the heart of most rebellious, and the gates of the grave pfft no problem.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:53 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
That's a great question. Naturally, there are people who have never even heard the name "Jesus" so, then what? People always used to say, "What about the pygmy tribes in Africa who've never heard of Jesus?"

God covers that in scripture.

Every person is accountable to God whether or not they've heard of Jesus. Romans 1:20 says that God has very clearly revealed Himself in nature. And in Ecclesiastes 3:11, it says that God has revealed Himself in people's hearts. But, when you read on the next few verses in Romans 1: 21-23, it says that the problem is that people are sinful and we reject this knowledge of God. Both what we're told of Him and what we see of Him in nature.

It's God's grace that allows us to overcome this and learn how miserable life is without Him. (verses 24-32.)

Even before Jesus entered the picture in the New Testament, the Old Testament says in Deuteronomy 4:29, “But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.” This verse teaches an important principle -- everyone who truly seeks after God will find Him. If a person truly desires to know God, God will make Himself known.

So, the debate over the fairness of God sending someone to hell who never had the opportunity to hear the gospel of Christ is without any valid points. People are responsible to God for what God has already revealed to them. The Bible says that people reject this knowledge, and therefore God is just in condemning them to hell.

If it's assumed that those who never hear the gospel are granted mercy from God, then it would make more sense to make sure that the gospel is NEVER preached to give every person an excuse. But, that's not how it works. Why run the risk of people possibly rejecting the gospel and condemning themselves when they were previously saved because they had never heard the gospel?
Would it be correct to say, then, that you believe that acknowledging the existance of God is essentially the same thing as acknowledging that Jesus Christ is the Savior, sent to redeem mankind from their sins? I see the two as being quite different.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:58 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
C. S. Lewis said, "I willingly believe that the damned are, in one sense, successful, rebels to the end; that the doors of hell are locked on the inside."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Well as much as I like CS Lewis, he got that one wrong, because Jesus as a set of keys that can open up anything even the heart of most rebellious, and the gates of the grave pfft no problem.
Actually, I believe C.S. Lewis was right, but that the number of individuals who choose Hell over Heaven will be miniscule. I do mean miniscule, and I do mean to imply that the choice will be theirs. As much as I believe that Jesus Christ wants to see every one of God's children return to His presence someday, I do not believe He will force us. I believe that He will do everything possible to pursuade even the worst of humanity to accept His grace, and I believe that in the end, the vast, vast majority will. The fact that the Bible speaks of one sin that will not and cannot be forgiven either in this life or the next indicates to me that there will be a few who, like Lucifer, are so rebellious and full of hatred for God that they will willingly choose to spend eternity apart from Him.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:07 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, I believe C.S. Lewis was right, but that the number of individuals who choose Hell over Heaven will be miniscule. I do mean miniscule, and I do mean to imply that the choice will be theirs. As much as I believe that Jesus Christ wants to see every one of God's children return to His presence someday, I do not believe He will force us. I believe that He will do everything possible to pursuade even the worst of humanity to accept His grace, and I believe that in the end, the vast, vast majority will. The fact that the Bible speaks of one sin that will not and cannot be forgiven either in this life or the next indicates to me that there will be a few who, like Lucifer, are so rebellious and full of hatred for God that they will willingly choose to spend eternity apart from Him.
Well He is the greatest persuader of all time, there is none that have gone so far that they are not capable of being found.The only reason I ever believed was due to him persuading me. He knows exactly what to say and do to persuade us, His word that draws us is always in season and on time. Now if you have better news than that Kat, I would like to hear it. I'm all ears
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity