Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 12:56 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,754,765 times

Advertisements

Hello & Greeting
Gifts of the Holy Spirit enable us to live a holy Christian life. The Gifts of the Holy Spirit are:
  1. Wisdom - desire for the things of God, and to direct our whole life and all our actions to His honor and glory
  2. Understanding - enable us to know more clearly the mysteries of faith
  3. Counsel - warn us of the deceits of the devil, and of the dangers to salvation
  4. Fortitude - strengthen us to do the will of God in all things
  5. Knowledge - enable us to discover the will of God in all things
  6. Piety - love God as a Father, and obey Him because we love Him
  7. Fear of the Lord - have a dread of sin and fear of offending God
Which one do you have?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 01:39 PM

939 posts, read 1,026,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWordIsOne View Post
Hello & Greeting
Gifts of the Holy Spirit enable us to live a holy Christian life. The Gifts of the Holy Spirit are:
  1. Wisdom - desire for the things of God, and to direct our whole life and all our actions to His honor and glory
  3. Counsel - warn us of the deceits of the devil, and of the dangers to salvation
Which one do you have?
Does everyone have one? Could I have 2? What if a person doesn't have one?

And where are you getting this list from?

Old 11-22-2011, 01:48 PM

488 posts, read 1,252,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post

I think if the Holy Spirit dwells in someone, then he/she possesses all these 7 gifts listed above. anyway there are other gifts as well, those found in 1 Corinthians, if my memory serves me well - chapter 12 and 14. to give you an example, the power to heal or to speak in tongues.. these are special gifts and it is rare that someone possesses all of these.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:14 PM

Post Seek, and cry out!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post

Hello & Greeting
Your answer is here, you give a good guestion, ask and you shall receive

Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Matt 7:7-8

We read in 1 Cor. 2:14 However, we speak wisdom among those who are mature, yet not the wisdom of this age, nor of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing.

But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory, which none of the rulers of this age knew; for had they known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

But as it is written: "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man The things which God has prepared for those who love Him."
But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit.
For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God.

For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God.
Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.

These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one.
For "who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?" But we have the mind of Christ.

Isaiah 58:2 Yet they seek Me daily, And delight to know My ways, As a nation that did righteousness, And did not forsake the ordinance of their God. They ask of Me the ordinances of justice; They take delight in approaching God.

2 Tim 4:3-5 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.
But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

Matthew 6:33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

Jer 33:2-3 "Thus says the Lord who made it, the Lord who formed it to establish it (the Lord is His name):
'Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know.'

Last edited by TheWordIsOne; 11-22-2011 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-22-2011, 08:48 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,707,258 times
Quote:
Hello & Greeting
Which one do you have?
Good thread, TheWordIsOne !! Your testimony in speaking the truths of God is beautiful !!

I believe a genuine Christian possesses all seven of these gifts...... it should be the deepest desire of the heart of one who believes !!

Delight thy self in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart..... amen !!

They're all definitely the trademark of Christ living and working in the heart of the genuine believer !! This is how one will discern who are the children of God and who are the children of the devil....

It is called walking in the Spirit..... a life completely sanctified by God !!

As we know from the scripture....God looks for the one who worships Him in spirit and truth..... amen !!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:08 AM

37,497 posts, read 61,508,206 times
Quote:
Hello & Greeting
Which one do you have?

God uses the phrase 'gift' very sparingly.

I am hesitant to label anything as a gift when God does not.

God being far greater than I, I would never wish to implant my will over God's.

Do you have any Bible passages to support each of these concepts as 'gifts' from God?

Or is this your own private doctrine?

Old 11-23-2011, 01:12 PM

Post own private doctrine, the phrase 'gift' very sparingly.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
God uses the phrase 'gift' very sparingly.

I am hesitant to label anything as a gift when God does not.

God being far greater than I, I would never wish to implant my will over God's.

1 Cor 12:3-4 (NKJV) Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit. There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.

Quote:
Do you have any Bible passages to support each of these concepts as 'gifts' from God?

Or is this your own private doctrine?

Hello & Greeting

Yes you ask a just questions, all doctrine is for reproof and above all for Correction, not by my own, be the word of God. All question must be proot not by one man, but by the Spirit of truth. The same Spirit is in all of God's children, no child is divided, but there is alway correction from the Spirit of God my discernment, a friendly correction by the Spirit as my heart guide me. Thank you

We read in 1 Cor 12:27-31 (NKJV) Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually.
And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues.
Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles?
Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?
But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.

1 Cor 12:1-12 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant:
You know that you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led.
Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.
There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord.
And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all.
But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit,
to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.
But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.
For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ.

1 Cor 13:2-7 (NLT) If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing.
If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing.
Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged.
It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.
Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

1 Cor 13:9-10 For we know in part and we prophesy in part.
But when that which is perfect has come, then that, which is in part will be done away.

1 Cor 14:11-12 Therefore, if I do not know the meaning of the language, I shall be a foreigner to him who speaks, and he who speaks will be a foreigner to me.
Even so you, since you are zealous for spiritual gifts, let it be for the edification of the church that you seek to excel.

1 Cor 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all:

Eph 4:7 But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ's gift.

1 Cor 12:11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

1 Tim 2:12-14 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. For Adam was formed first, then Eve.
And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression.

Titus 2:15 Speak these things, exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no one despise you.

Titus 3:8-11 This is a faithful saying, and these things I want you to affirm constantly, that those who have believed in God should be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable to men.
But avoid foolish disputes, genealogies, contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and useless.
Reject a divisive man after the first and second admonition,
knowing that such a person is warped and sinning, being self-condemned.

2 Tim 3:13-17 But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived.
But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them,
and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

2 Peter 1:20-21 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation,
for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

Last edited by TheWordIsOne; 11-23-2011 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-23-2011, 01:25 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,716,928 times
Quote:
Hello & Greeting

Which one do you have?
Me? Wisdom and knowlegde of course

Old 11-23-2011, 01:31 PM

37,497 posts, read 61,508,206 times
Quote:
1 Cor 12:1-12 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant: ...
As an example here where the translators supplied 'gifts'. The Greek word there is Matikos, which means things or matters, not gifts.

There has long been established Man's Doctrine that all of these things are gifts. So the translators put in the word 'gifts'.

In the KJV the translators used italics, so at least they were trying to be honest and tell the reader that it was a supplied word and not a part of God's Word.

To discuss spiritual matters, has a different flavor than does spiritual gifts. As such it teaches a different doctrine. A less Manly doctrine.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:50 PM

What bible do you read? maybe I can try to understand the word Matikos? The bible also use the word Member as a Talens[SIZE=3]. Greek word in English talks about spiritual matters, but the word of gift in Greek language also is menage as will. Must study in my Greek Interlinar to give the right Greek word, but can not see this word Matikos! Thank you

Last edited by TheWordIsOne; 11-23-2011 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity