Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 07:06 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,254,400 times

Advertisements

I knew something was different. One key difference I noticed was the pastor use to say "we" and it turned into "I." Which I think is a good idea in terms of confirmation. If someone says "I believe" it's like you are putting your signature on what the pastor is saying, its more personal and direct.

Nonetheless, follow this link:

New Mass translation launches in American parishes - Yahoo! News

Old 11-27-2011, 07:17 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I knew something was different. One key difference I noticed was the pastor use to say "we" and it turned into "I." Which I think is a good idea in terms of confirmation. If someone says "I believe" it's like you are putting your signature on what the pastor is saying, its more personal and direct.

Nonetheless, follow this link:

New Mass translation launches in American parishes - Yahoo! News
For some this may be just a matter of semantics. For others the changes may be profound.
If for no other reason, the changes may be good, in that they spur discussion.

Regarding the "I vs. We" change;
I think of "The Lord's Prayer". Nowhere does it refer to "I" or "Me". Rather, it is a communal prayer. And I believe the Church is also communal.
So...I prefer "we".

Old 11-27-2011, 10:42 PM

889 posts, read 826,272 times
The point of the change from "we" to "I" is mainly because how could you possibly profess a creed or anything else for SOMEONE ELSE. You can only profess it for yourself. So that's a good change.

The whole church messed up the "And with your spirit" just prior to the Gospel reading. Everyone got it right at the beginning, but the second time the folks returned to what they know and said, "and also with you." So my priest just said the same thing and we got it right the second time. He said later in the sermon that all three masses got that one wrong. Folks laughed. It's going to take a while to get used to the changes. We won't even do the new Gloria until after the Advent season is over.

Some of the changes were easy, but some things were downright odd. Even our priest struggled with the changes a bit.

Peace!

Old 11-28-2011, 03:59 PM

939 posts, read 1,025,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
The point of the change from "we" to "I" is mainly because how could you possibly profess a creed or anything else for SOMEONE ELSE. You can only profess it for yourself. So that's a good change.

The whole church messed up the "And with your spirit" just prior to the Gospel reading. Everyone got it right at the beginning, but the second time the folks returned to what they know and said, "and also with you." So my priest just said the same thing and we got it right the second time. He said later in the sermon that all three masses got that one wrong. Folks laughed. It's going to take a while to get used to the changes. We won't even do the new Gloria until after the Advent season is over.

Some of the changes were easy, but some things were downright odd. Even our priest struggled with the changes a bit.

Peace!
I heard about the changes. I'm just wondering why such attention to detail? Why can't there be any variation whatsoever?

Old 11-28-2011, 04:06 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,245,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
I heard about the changes. I'm just wondering why such attention to detail? Why can't there be any variation whatsoever?
I used to be Catholic and I think it has a lot to do with the power of the Vatican. They control everything down to each individual church.

Now I'm Presbyterian and while the Presbyterian Church does have liturgical guidelines, I'm pretty sure individual churches are free to make minor changes to the liturgy. Some prayers (that everyone recites together) like the Prayer of Confession are different every week and I assume the pastor(s) chooses these prayers, so they're different at each church. Others, like the Lord's Prayer, would be the same at every church.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:53 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,984,040 times
I went to Mass for the first time in 15 months this Sunday. Luckily I had seen an article on the Mass changes last week so I wasn't totally shocked when I got there. Plus they handed out these little cards as you walked in the door and the Priest made it a point to help us along with changes so it wasn't too difficult.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:22 PM

889 posts, read 826,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
Very simple answer to that. We are the one, holy, catholic (universal) and Apostolic Church Jesus created. Therefore, we have same readings and essentially the same liturgy worldwide. It's like when you go to McDonalds, you want the Big Mac to taste the same in Finland as it does in America. We act as one body as we have one earthly head. Ultimately our orders come from God, but we still have to have a leader down here when there are over a billion of you and you want to act as one.

But please know that there are actually differences in the masses from church to church and from country to country. But it's minor and usually in style only. An example is that one church has a choir and an organ and another might have a piano and a guitar. The songs can be old school choir/organ in Latin or old American hymns or even Christian contemporary. In Africa the masses are much longer and have percussion instruments.

This change to the liturgy, as I understand it, is only to English speaking masses because the Church is trying to return to the original Latin translation. Vatican II's translation were a bit "feel good" and so we are try to return to our roots and make the English translation closer to the rest of the Catholic world's translation of the original Latin liturgy. The parts of the liturgy remain the same, just a few words are changing here and there to better capture the original intent and spirit.

Last edited by GoodToBeHome; 11-28-2011 at 10:32 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 12:00 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,662,922 times
There was plenty of notice given...you would have to be living under a rock not to have heard about the changes let alone not attending Mass. It's the least of my concerns regarding the Catholic Church!

Old 11-30-2011, 02:52 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,523,795 times
Moderator cut: reminder

Please stay on the topic of the OP, which is the recent changes in the mass.
Any thing else about the Catholic Church is off topic..

Thanks

Old 12-01-2011, 02:00 AM

111 posts, read 179,955 times
I wonder if another change will be made in the prayer "Happy are those who are called to this Supper" to what it was previously "Blessed are those who are called to this Supper." The word happy brings up in my mind people who are skipping and laughing as they walk up to receive Holy Communion. Personally I find the word happy not a very good translation. Is there anyone else who find this an odd choice of word?

Just yesterday I discussed this with a lady who goes to Mass in Spanish and she told me that in the Spanish Mass the word is still blessed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.