Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 02:25 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,416,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Again....if said person remembering Jesus doesn't actually believe in or love him.....should he/she be allowed to participate?
...that's up to them, not anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 03:14 PM

63,947 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
Even if they don't actually believe in Christ? And that he made a loving sacrifice?
How would that matter to the public act of remembering Him?

Old 12-05-2017, 03:26 PM

11,156 posts, read 7,221,368 times
Then they should put up a sign in front of the church: "We don't serve communion to people we judge to be non-believers". There, don't be cowards about it. If you're going to stoop to that level, come of out of the shadows and face up to your actions, and what comes of them. Welcome to 1960, I mean 2017.

Either support the Bible, or support your religious bogus church. But don't try to have it both ways. Light and darkness do not mix.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:14 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,178,920 times
The Pastor is dead wrong and doesn't understand the context of those verses........it doesn't condemn at all.

Life in the Spirit
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.8.1

Old 12-06-2017, 06:03 AM

4,765 posts, read 2,000,571 times
Quote:
Again....if said person remembering Jesus doesn't actually believe in or love him.....should he/she be allowed to participate?
They should not. The Lord's supper is for us to remember what He did for us. Non-believers do not believe in the Scripture.

Do this in remembrance of me.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:10 AM

10,505 posts, read 7,076,788 times
Quote:
Well, first off, how are you to know? Second, unless the person in question has been ushered into the church at bayonet point, I'm guessing they want to be there. So unless you have the powers of mental telepathy or define "believe in or love him" in some incredibly arcane ways, then it's really not up to you to deny someone participation.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:57 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,065,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Well, first off, how are you to know? Second, unless the person in question has been ushered into the church at bayonet point, I'm guessing they want to be there. So unless you have the powers of mental telepathy or define "believe in or love him" in some incredibly arcane ways, then it's really not up to you to deny someone participation.
I actually agree with you on that. Did you read my comment above? My church practices communion by letting anyone identifying as a Christian to partake.

I was merely asking a question. The main reason I asked, was because the person I was questioning has some radically different views.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:07 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,827,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
How would that matter to the public act of remembering Him?
Are you implying that self-professed non-Christians should be able to take communion? Not sure why they would want to.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:41 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,065,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Are you implying that self-professed non-Christians should be able to take communion? Not sure why they would want to.
If a self-professed non-Christian came to church with me, I'm going to tell him/her that they really should not be partaking of communion (IF he/she has professed to me to not believe). My pastor started out the communion service by admonishing non-believers to not partake, but we did not check ID as we distributed it.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:05 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,107,548 times
If a church believes it is just a remembrance then open it to anyone who wishes to participate.

If a church believe that it is the body & blood of Christ, and thus sacred, then protect outsiders from consuming unworthily to their harm.

We can see in practice that the newer remembrance group often pass their communion among the congregants and anyone present can take or not while in the traditional, older churches the gifts are not passed but given individually to people who are supposed to understand the nature of what they are about to receive and to be properly prepared to receive what to them is a sacrament.

1 Corinthians 11: 28 to 30 says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity