Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 06:31 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,278,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Plain and Simple. Lets take your argument and put it in a similar realm. You go to the doctor and tell him you need a particular drug. He does not just write you the prescription and send you away. He examines you to determine if this medicine is appropriate for you. He is responsible for giving you the correct medicine and if he fails to do this he could be sued for big bucks and have his license taken away, maybe even end up in jail like Michael Jackson's DR.

The Gospel and sacraments are God's medicine for sin. The church is responsible for administering these precious things properly. Improperly given, this medicine can lead to someone's damnation. God holds those who administer the office of preaching and teaching and administering the sacrament responsible. There are severe warnings and threats of judgment for those who teach false doctrine and mislead people to eternal damnation.
After all, are we not our brothers keeper? Would you let someone drive an unsafe car drive away and say, "its not my problem"??? Closed communion is another practice that offends some and is considered not PC, but it certainly is Biblical.
Remember also, the Lord's Supper is a rite of confirmation and affirmation, not conversion. A Christian does not go to hell because he missed receiving the sacrament on some occasions.
Where does it say we should have "closed communion" in the scriptures?

Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 06:45 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,950,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
It is announced and printed in the service bulletin every week.

And yep, visitors that 'feel' left out are free to stay or leave before the Lord's Supper. Most stay.

Why are you so sarcastic about this? Why do you care what each church decides to do? Church isn't about 'feelings' getting hurt, or about people 'feeling left out'. Find a church that makes you 'comfortable' if that is what you're looking for. There are a lot out there.

I'd like to see a copy of the announcment warning people of their potential damnation for participating in a church function. Is it online anywhere?

Old 12-08-2011, 07:38 AM

939 posts, read 1,025,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
I'd like to see a copy of the announcment warning people of their potential damnation for participating in a church function. Is it online anywhere?
why would that be an issue? The apostle Paul talks about judgment coming on those that aren't taking it in a discerning way...but if you're an unbeliever you're going there anyway.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:40 AM

88,625 posts, read 84,875,076 times
I am Episcopalian. Any Christian is welcome to take communion in our churches. No qualifiers.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
why would that be an issue? The apostle Paul talks about judgment coming on those that aren't taking it in a discerning way...but if you're an unbeliever you're going there anyway.

Perhaps you do not understand the issue.

Do you think it is no big deal that you could visit a church and leave and be damned because you went there and not know it.

Seriously, as absurd as that is, if that church isn't making sure each and every person knows the risks, they should shut down so they do not screw up and damn everyone in the place.

You may not think that is a big deal but I don't care.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:53 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
This comes from our church's Sunday morning service last week. Our Pastor for the first time in 7 years decided to restrict the Lord's Supper to just official church membership, leaving about a third to half of those in attendance to watch and unable to participate.

His reasoning was that he felt God wanted him to make this change to protect the fellowship of the membership.

As background, the church has lost a lot of membership in the last few years, and is down to about a total of 36 voting members. On any given Sunday, church attendance is about 30-40 persons. Most of them are members, or newer fairly regular attenders. Maybe 20 member to 10 regular attenders.

Although he had his reasoning (protect fellowship of the church), his actions seem to be harming the fellowship by driving a wedge between members and non members. It created some animosity and hurt feelings, which are lingering.

I know many churches do restrict the Lord's Supper, so I think the surprise here is that it was a change in his policy, and he also did it during the Sunday AM service, which is most likely to have new people, hoppers, church shoppers, and regular attenders who have not officially joined.

How does your church handle it? How do you feel a church should handle it?
Historically it has been the practice with most church bodies of offering the L.S. to only it's own confessional of faith or of those of same confession.

A church \ minister who puts God's Word over popularity should be commended. For God's word speakes to the seriousness of what communion is and the consequence of the participant who abuses the L.S.
1 Corinthians 11:24-29
“This is my body, whichis for you; do this in remembrance of me.†In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me. â€For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.

Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself.
It will vary on the Lutheran congregation, but generally the practice is to meet with the pastor before the service if one is a guest of that church. Also it is usually printed in the bullentin that we hold to the historical and Biblical teaching of a "close" communion practice within the same confessional family of believers.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:58 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Where does it say we should have "closed communion" in the scriptures?

Katie
It isn't "closed", but "close" as in those who are have the same confession of Jesus.

Where ..... the L.S. didn't occure until Judas left. Only those who particapated and attended where of the same belief. (and that didn't happen by accident).

Paul expands on the seriousness of not understanding what is taking place within the Lord Supper when God revealed to him:
1 Corinthians 11:24-29
This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me. ”For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.

Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:44 AM

939 posts, read 1,025,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Perhaps you do not understand the issue.

Do you think it is no big deal that you could visit a church and leave and be damned because you went there and not know it.

Seriously, as absurd as that is, if that church isn't making sure each and every person knows the risks, they should shut down so they do not screw up and damn everyone in the place.

You may not think that is a big deal but I don't care.
If you are not a Christian you are in a bad state already. Taking communion at that point isn't going to make you any worse off.

If I am a Christian and I know what communion stands for, and take it in a trite, simple manner without first doing some self-examination, I deserve judgment from God for it.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
If you are not a Christian you are in a bad state already. Taking communion at that point isn't going to make you any worse off.

If I am a Christian and I know what communion stands for, and take it in a trite, simple manner without first doing some self-examination, I deserve judgment from God for it.
My point is not about you or your beliefs, my point was to the specific comments of the other poster.

The comments were that someone could visit their church and leave being damned without knowing it.

Whatever you think you believe is irrelevant if you could visit that church and leave a damned individual and be unaware of it.

Do you think in good conscience you should even invite someone to such a place? Perhaps you couldn't care less, good for you.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:33 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,924,893 times
Katie. The policy of closed communion comes from two locations I have already cited.
1 Corinthians 5, clearly teaches that those who are involved in ongoing unrepentant sin, should not be given the sacrament.
1Co 5:12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 1Co 5:13 God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you."

The other text is 1 Cornithians 11. Here it is taught that those who receive the sacrament unworthily drink judgment on themselves.
1Co 11:28 A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup.
1Co 11:29 For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself.

Therefore our church body follows a traditional practice that dates back to the early Christian church. In love and concern for outsiders, The sacrament is only given to church members who have been properly instructed. We are brothers keeper. Many churches deny that the sacrament is the body and blood of Christ. Many churches also deny the divinity of Jesus Christ, do not baptize, do not baptize in the name of the Triune God, do not even teach the 10 commandments. America is awash with false doctrine and false teachers. Therefore, in love, we don't want them to take the sacrament, so that they are misled that they are Ok with God, when in fact they may not be because of impetitence or because they are trusting in their own works and righteousness to save them.

This is also done out of concern for our church members. Lets say we commune everyone, no matter how they live their life or what their religion is, Mormons, Muslims, Jews, athiests, those involved in sexual immorality and drunkards, etc. The logical conclusion is that repentance and trying to live within the will of God doesn't mater. It means that everyone, no matter what gets forgiveness and gets to go to heaven. IT might very easily lead the members of that congregation that "its all good", everyone goes to heaven no matter what. A church should not want to do that to their members.

1Pe 4:18 And, "If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

A churches first concern should be for the members of that congregation, to help them remain faithful so that they do not fall away.

Last edited by augiedogie; 12-08-2011 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: Forgot something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity