Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 01:37 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,962,604 times

Advertisements

Lie - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

: to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive
: to create a false or misleading impression

transitive verb
: to bring about by telling lies <lied his way out of trouble
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 03:02 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,353,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
No. A good place to start would be, right here, with someone clearly proving that Ellen was lying. This means presenting the facts - present the facts about her knowing something isn't true but intentionally lying and misleading others to something false. That is the definition of a lie.

Then there is the accusation of her contradicting herself. Present the contradiction, right here, for everyone to see.
Since I never actually said she was lied, or that she contradicted herself, I'll let others answer this. Although, she did claim to write the Spirit of Prophesy/Great Controversy, which she copied from her husband, James White, who copied it from J.N. Andrews. I guess that would make her a liar.

Quote:
And as far as your assuming she was a false prophet. Well, please show me where she said she was a prophet. A prophet is someone who claims to be speaking on behalf of God, not someone who believes something and voices their belief to others. Please, prove to me that she was a false "prophet".

"Others have called me a prophetess, but I have never assumed that title. I have not felt that it was my duty thus to designate myself. ....
MY WORK INCLUDES MUCH MORE THAN THIS NAME SIGNIFIES. I regard myself as a messenger, entrusted by the Lord with messages for His people....MY COMMISSION EMBRACES THE WORK OF A PROPHET, BUT IT DOES NOT END THERE. IT EMBRACES MUCH MORE THAN THE MINDS OF THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN SOWING SEEDS OF UNBELIEF CAN COMPREHEND.(Ellen Gould White, Selected Messages, Vol. 1, p. 36.)

So, by your own definition, she was a "prophet". Not to mention the many times the church has declared her as such.

As for the false prophesies:

In her early career Mrs. White made a number of predictions about Christ's imminent return. The most notable of those was a specific prediction made at a conference of believers in 1856. This statement was later published in the book Testimonies and received widespread attention within the SDA Church. Mrs. White claimed she was shown in vision that some of those present at the 1856 conference would be translated:
  • I was shown the company present at the Conference. Said the angel: "Some food for worms, some subjects of the seven last plagues, some will be alive and remain upon the earth to be translated at the coming of Jesus." Testimonies, Vol. 1, p. 131
A Failed Prophecy?
Mrs. White was given a vision showing the fate of those people attending the conference. She specifically states that some of them will suffer the seven last plagues, and some will be alive when Jesus returns. The Whites had such confidence in this "vision" that it was published in Mrs. White's Testimonies to the Church and received widespread distribution. However, by the early 1900s all those who attended the conference had passed away, leaving the Church with the dilemma of trying to figure out how to explain away such a prominent prophetic failure.

"I have seen that the 1843 chart (William Miller's) was directed by the hand of the Lord and that it should not be altered that the figures were as he wanted them." (Early Writings, p.64, edition 1882). ( The chart mentioned predicted the end of the world in 1843 ).

Old 12-11-2011, 03:03 PM

Ellen G White clearly denied being a prophetess, but she said she had messages from God. That seems like a contradiction but I understand how she could say that. She is mostly responsible for leading people back to the Seventh Day Sabbath, as well as revealing to us her studies of the early Catholic church. I've read most of "The Great Controvery" and am thankfull to have access to the many factual truths she presents in the book. I believe just like she said, she definitely had a message that God wanted her to deliver, but she was not a prophetess. She knew, because of diligent study and prayer and obedience, the truth of what happened to the Sabbath Day and of course God wanted her to share the facts with everyone. Was she misled a little into believing certain things that weren't true? Yes, but that doesn't make her deserving of separation from God. I've done the same exact thing. I've thought God wanted me to tell someone something but He didn't, and what I was thinking wasn't true.

To me, Ellen G. White is a hero and I have great respect for her. I'm 100% sure God does too. He's a "mercifull" God who doesn't make everyone "pay" for sin, or being wrong about something.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Since I never actually said she was lied, or that she contradicted herself, I'll let others answer this. Although, she did claim to write the Spirit of Prophesy/Great Controversy, which she copied from her husband, James White, who copied it from J.N. Andrews. I guess that would make her a liar.

"Others have called me a prophetess, but I have never assumed that title. I have not felt that it was my duty thus to designate myself. ....MY WORK INCLUDES MUCH MORE THAN THIS NAME SIGNIFIES. I regard myself as a messenger, entrusted by the Lord with messages for His people....MY COMMISSION EMBRACES THE WORK OF A PROPHET, BUT IT DOES NOT END THERE. IT EMBRACES MUCH MORE THAN THE MINDS OF THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN SOWING SEEDS OF UNBELIEF CAN COMPREHEND.(Ellen Gould White, Selected Messages, Vol. 1, p. 36.)

So, by your own definition, she was a "prophet". Not to mention the many times the church has declared her as such.

As for the false prophesies:

In her early career Mrs. White made a number of predictions about Christ's imminent return. The most notable of those was a specific prediction made at a conference of believers in 1856. This statement was later published in the book Testimonies and received widespread attention within the SDA Church. Mrs. White claimed she was shown in vision that some of those present at the 1856 conference would be translated:
  • I was shown the company present at the Conference. Said the angel: "Some food for worms, some subjects of the seven last plagues, some will be alive and remain upon the earth to be translated at the coming of Jesus." Testimonies, Vol. 1, p. 131
A Failed Prophecy?
Mrs. White was given a vision showing the fate of those people attending the conference. She specifically states that some of them will suffer the seven last plagues, and some will be alive when Jesus returns. The Whites had such confidence in this "vision" that it was published in Mrs. White's Testimonies to the Church and received widespread distribution. However, by the early 1900s all those who attended the conference had passed away, leaving the Church with the dilemma of trying to figure out how to explain away such a prominent prophetic failure.

"I have seen that the 1843 chart (William Miller's) was directed by the hand of the Lord and that it should not be altered that the figures were as he wanted them." (Early Writings, p.64, edition 1882). ( The chart mentioned predicted the end of the world in 1843 ).
You say she lays claim to writing "The Great Controversy" but she didn't. I'll have to research that to find out the facts. I believe she did write "The Great Controversy". Maybe she didn't. Maybe she never said she wrote it, but only got credit for it being published. I must be very carefull in slandering someone or misleading someone and watering down the truth. Most of the book is historical facts. I've read it. I really don't care who wrote it anyway, it's a book of very interesting facts that shouldn't be pushed aside or discredited, just because the lady was wrong about a few things.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:20 PM

I'm 100% sure this is a message from God, to me and to you. I don't think I'm a prophet though.

"God is very pleased with the person who is responsible for leading people back to His Holy Sabbath Day. There's no way that person deserves the title of a "false prophet"."

Could I be wrong about that statement? Of course. But... I believe it's from God.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Ellen G White clearly denied being a prophetess, but she said she had messages from God. That seems like a contradiction but I understand how she could say that.
Can you show where she denies being a prophetess? I only see that she says she didn't feel it was her duty to give herself that title. She said she had messages from God, which then, in turn, makes her a prophet. How can you understand any different?

Quote:
She is mostly responsible for leading people back to the Seventh Day Sabbath, as well as revealing to us her studies of the early Catholic church. I've read most of "The Great Controvery" and am thankfull to have access to the many factual truths she presents in the book. I believe just like she said, she definitely had a message that God wanted her to deliver, but she was not a prophetess. She knew, because of diligent study and prayer and obedience, the truth of what happened to the Sabbath Day and of course God wanted her to share the facts with everyone.
You have every right to believe what you want. However, you can't have it both ways. You are either a prophet (God talked to you, so you could tell others), or you aren't.

Quote:
Was she misled a little into believing certain things that weren't true? Yes, but that doesn't make her deserving of separation from God. I've done the same exact thing. I've thought God wanted me to tell someone something but He didn't, and what I was thinking wasn't true.
No, that just makes her a false prophet. If it really was God talking, there would be no "misling" or anything "untrue". So if it wasn't God talking to her, who was misleading her?

Quote:
To me, Ellen G. White is a hero and I have great respect for her. I'm 100% sure God does too. He's a "mercifull" God who doesn't make everyone "pay" for sin, or being wrong about something.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I'm 100% sure this is a message from God, to me and to you. I don't think I'm a prophet though.

"God is very pleased with the person who is responsible for leading people back to His Holy Sabbath Day. There's no way that person deserves the title of a "false prophet"."

Could I be wrong about that statement? Of course. But... I believe it's from God.

You also said... "A prophet is someone who claims to be speaking on behalf of God" And now you say you are 100% sure this is a message from God, through you...yet you aren't a prophet. You're contradicting yourself. If it came from God, it can't be wrong. So if it is wrong, it didn't come from God.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:30 PM

O-Ducky, I just want to say, you seem to be young, and possibly a new convert to the SDA church. If I'm wrong, forgive me.

You have every right to believe what you want. Just don't be afraid to study, when someone shows you what you believe is contradicting itself, or is wrong. Just study it.

Don't contradict yourself and facts (what a prophet is), just to make your beliefs be true.

May your search find you truth, and make you a better person for it.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:33 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,226,462 times
O Ducky, you believe Ellen G White, but don't believe Paul... the person who wrote the majority of the NT.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:34 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
She has been dead for almost a hundred years, and yet the visceral hatred towards her lives on. She was traumatized by the fear of irrational religious views of Millerism at age 12, she is a victim, and yet this hatred is still directed at her.

This is not right folks, this is not normal, this is OCD hatred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity