Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 12:07 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,041,386 times

Advertisements

Do you have to be baptized to be a Christian? I have more then once heard people say they believe in Jesus but are not baptized so are not Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 12:13 PM

63 posts, read 116,335 times
You absolutely positively do NOT have to be baptized to be a christian. It is not baptism that matters , but a changed life . 1 Corinthians 1:14-25

Old 12-18-2011, 02:09 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,825,976 times
Baptism is an outward sign of obedience in a believer - Believer's are commanded to baptize and be baptized. It is also a way of identifying with Christ, who was also baptized ... and by symbolically 'putting the old man to death and raising up the new man'! Does baptism make one a Christian? --- No, a Christian is a believer in and follower of Jesus Christ.

That said, maintaining a "mental meets minimum requirements checklist" of things I don't really HAVE to do, to be saved ... (versus opportunities for me to live as a faithful, born again follower of Christ --- if I am truly saved); ... may suggests a heart that is only submitted to Christ ... "with reservations."

Both Christians and non-Christians "DO" many of the same things (attend church, pray, sing religious songs, read the Bible, profess a belief in Christ, go through the 'ritual' of baptism). That's what the parable of 'the wheat and tares' and other Bible teachings are all about. Jesus had many things to say about such folks ("You honor me with your lips, but, your heart is far from me" ... and other Pharisee/Saducee admonitions).

I am among those "working out the details of my salvation with fear and trembling." By that, I mean that I know the miserable, often double-minded, condition of my own heart. I really have no interest in adding, "Gee God, I really didn't think you wanted me to follow Christ in Believer's baptism" to my litany of transgressions.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:22 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,009,914 times
Christians who have not repented and live with sin and not receive the spirit of Christ in their lives are not Christians and need to turn from this error of a form of godliness and go a repent and get saved ...... See these people may have a encounter with the Lord and were even drawn to the Lord to be developed , But drag their feet in unbelief and will be weak in any spiritual development .... Jesus said in Luke 13: 2-5 about Repentance of baptism command .......``Suppose you that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?...I tell you... Nay!, but except you repent you will all likewise perish......Or the eighteen , upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think you that they were sinners above all men that dwell in Jerusalem?....I Tell you, Nay!....But except you repent , you will all likewise perish....``..... See Water Baptism is the baptism of Repentance, ... You can still repent and repent to the Lord and ask for forgiveness if your church will not baptize you and if you resist sin and prove to the Lord or your honest sincere proof that you are resisting sin and need His help and love the Lord and prove that you sincerely love the Lord then you may get a pass on water baptism and then you must continue to resist sin and pray for the baptism of Holy spirit for your development into your good works of the Lord and your development for your life in Heaven.......... If you say your saved and never change from the world ideas and continue to sin with out discernment disregarding Jesus and His plan than you will be fooling yourself.....

Old 12-18-2011, 04:31 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,909,702 times
Baptism Is a requirement. How much clearer can Jesus make it?
Jn 3:5 Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.

For someone to say, I am a disciple of Jesus, I trust in Jesus, I believe in following God and listening to God, and then say, But I don't have to be baptized? This is outright defiance of Jesus clear command. Jesus instruction to the disciples is
Mt 28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Baptism is a requirement, No if ands for buts about it.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:41 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Baptism Is a requirement. How much clearer can Jesus make it?
Jn 3:5 Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.

For someone to say, I am a disciple of Jesus, I trust in Jesus, I believe in following God and listening to God, and then say, But I don't have to be baptized? This is outright defiance of Jesus clear command. Jesus instruction to the disciples is
Mt 28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Baptism is a requirement, No if ands for buts about it.
A requirement for what? . . . that is the issue. John's baptism was an introduction to the concept of rebirth. Christ's explanation to Nicodemus was a further clarification of it. It is the explanation for the process we must undergo to strengthen our "embryo" Spirits for their eventual rebirth as Spirit . . . like Christ. The "water of life" is the "amniotic" fluid around the brain. Our physical death is the birth process and our physical body and brain is the "after birth." Baptism of the Holy Spirit is an ongoing sanctification process of overcoming and enduring until our death . . . like Christ.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:55 AM

87 posts, read 120,242 times
Jazzymom: Yes, baptism is part of being Christian. However, just because you are baptised does not mean it will take you to kingdom of God and heaven. You still have to be a good Christian.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:59 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,041,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lucy- View Post
Jazzymom: Yes, baptism is part of being Christian. However, just because you are baptised does not mean it will take you to kingdom of God and heaven. You still have to be a good Christian.

I am asking for clarification on the Christian forum because you have said over on the other forum that you can't be a Christian unless you are baptized. That you follow and love Jesus yet you are not a Christian only because you are not baptized. So what better place to get clarification. This forum.

So please I am interested in more responses.

It seems some say you don't need to be baptized others say you have to be.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:15 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,962,071 times
Please read what the apostle FOR THE NATIONS wrote on this in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. Notice baptism is not mentioned?

Old 12-19-2011, 08:32 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I am asking for clarification on the Christian forum because you have said over on the other forum that you can't be a Christian unless you are baptized. That you follow and love Jesus yet you are not a Christian only because you are not baptized. So what better place to get clarification. This forum.

So please I am interested in more responses.

It seems some say you don't need to be baptized others say you have to be.
Do you have to perform all Jewish rituals to be Jewish? Would you stop being Jewish if you missed one?

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 12-19-2011 at 08:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity