Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 07:36 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,029,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I think Verna just said it.

UR folk need to change the definition of words to make their theology work. Otherwise the Bible kinda says stuff that doesn't fit with UR doctrines.
Hope you're not one of those wicked Sabbath breakers. In fact if the law could save you, what need did you have of a savior? That's all for me. All I really felt upon reading the OP was like rolling my eyes again. I thought only those sinning UR people only brought this topic up ....

Heartsong, glad I can go to sleep at night knowing that my God is not roasting people in hell while I'm sleeping. It is hard enough to sleep knowing all the evil that man is doing to man on the earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 07:47 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,670,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabrown View Post
hi verna, if you check out and research what some of the things you shared mean in the original languages, you might have a better understanding of where we are coming from. God bless.
... .

Old 12-26-2011, 07:59 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,570,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
?

Hello Mr 5150 , I shared that if someone checks out and researches what some of the things that were shared mean in the original languages, they might have a better understanding of where we are coming from. Yes, translations have errors. Some even have the original Hebrew/Greek words and definitions provided along with the translations. I wonder why?? Take care and God bless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The bible was not written in English, Verna . . . yet you use the English words as if they were dictated by God. What is wrong with this picture? What do you not understand about the scriptures were NOT dictated by God, NOT preserved inerrant by God, and NOT translated by God into English? Your confidence in the men responsible for the Bible over the millennia exceeds reason, Verna.
So both of you read Greek, Hebrew, et al? On a Phd Level? I am impressed.

Me; not so much so I rely on people who are way smarter than me. More skilled. Less biased.

See here is the deal. I ain't no expert in greek and stuff, but I do know a thing or two about theology. I do have an issue with folk who have "special knowledge". Esp when it contradicts 1900 years of solid biblical NT theology. And these folk come and say the translated from the Greek... Bible is incorrect cuz we gots a special and new (and improved!) Version-Like the Jehow Witnesses. Well not exactly, but we also gots to change a few definitions of words like E-ternal and such.

Sorry but the Word of God was true in 1800 and 1900 and nothing has changed. UR is not true. Sorry.

Last edited by Mr5150; 12-26-2011 at 08:42 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Hope you're not one of those wicked Sabbath breakers.
Stupid post of the month. Care to read the NT? To whom was the seventh day Sabbath aimed at?

Exodus 31; 12-17 says:

12 The LORD spoke to Moses, saying, 13 “But as for you, speak to the sons of Israel, saying, ‘You shall surely observe My sabbaths; for this is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you. 14 Therefore you are to observe the sabbath, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. 15 For six days work may be done, but on the seventh day there is a sabbath of complete rest, holy to the LORD; whoever does any work on the sabbath day shall surely be put to death. 16 So the sons of Israel shall observe the sabbath, to [o]celebrate the sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant.’ 17 It is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever; for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, but on the seventh day He ceased from labor, and was refreshed.â€

Me thinks the UR folk only read the parts of the Bible that suggest ideas that support their doctrine.

The Sabbath is for the Jews, not for NT Christians. Oh...thought. Do you keep the Sabbath?

Old 12-26-2011, 08:08 PM

14,905 posts, read 17,212,127 times
No, I never said that But I do read the work of people who are Biblical scholars and know the language, as well as the definitions provided in some of the translations. I also look to see how the words may be used in the passages. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-26-2011 at 08:26 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 09:27 PM

14,905 posts, read 17,212,127 times
Quote:
Sorry but the Word of God was true in 1800 and 1900 and nothing has changed.
The word of God was true before the 1800's and 1900's Mr 5150 and it is still true today. The translations are the problem and that is why it is good to check out the meanings of words in the original language that the scriptures were written and how they were used. God bless.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:35 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,620,666 times
Quote:

Sorry but the Word of God was true in 1800 and 1900 and nothing has changed. UR is not true. Sorry.
The so-called word of god in 1800 led followers to believe the world was 6,000 years old, that we were all descended from a single couple and that there was once a global flood, all "facts" that we now know to a scientific certainty are not true.

So much for your book, huh?

Old 12-26-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
The so-called word of god in 1800 led followers to believe the world was 6,000 years old, that we were all descended from a single couple and that there was once a global flood, all "facts" that we now know to a scientific certainty are not true.

So much for your book, huh?
Well congradulations! You've just proved the Bible to be bunk. Or so you claim.

Study up and give a summary of your findings. I expect said work to be due by say... oh, by this time tomorrow (13:00 GMT). Should not be a problem. Right?

Old 12-26-2011, 09:53 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,620,666 times
Quote:
Well congradulations! You've just proved the Bible to be bunk. Or so you claim.

Study up and give a summary of your findings. I expect said work to be due by say... oh, by this time tomorrow (13:00 GMT). Should not be a problem. Right?
No need to wait that long. Are you going to dispute my points or just rely on your dogma? The world is undisputably billions of years old. A global flood undisputably never happened. We are undisputably not descended from a single couple.

What do you wish to dispute?

Old 12-26-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
The word of God was true before the 1800's and 1900's Mr 5150 and it is still true today. The translations are the problem and that is why it is good to check out the meanings of words in the original language that the scriptures were written and how they were used. God bless.
So in your opinion the Bible translations we have today are incorrect? Intersting. So what you are saying is that we can't trust the Bible. Not the KJV, the NIV the NKJV, the NASB or any other modern translation. So where do you find this special revelation/translation of which you speak?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity