Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this belief blaspheme?
Yes 12 75.00%
No 4 25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:32 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,403,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
It's really not an issue of "blaming" God for doing good on our behalf. But rather recognizing it was God who imputed our sins to the Messiah (Isa 53:6). And, that it pleased God to do so (Isa 53:10), to smite the Shepard as such (Mat 26:31). And yes, it was on our account that the Messiah was afflicted. That's also how I saw it as such in my previous post:Are you saying you're not included in the "we" of Isaiah 53:4?

No I am not of those who believe He was plagued by God, I believe He was plagued by the sins of His own people as verse 8 states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 08:33 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,403,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You have it backwards, Lego!God does NOT purpose Evil, period. It is our immature FAILURES that produce Evil. God does NOT override our Will . . . so for all intents and purposes . . . WE have Dominion and are responsible for ALL Evil. Natural disasters and tragedies are NOT Evil . . . they are just tragic aspects of living on earth. You have it backwards. Evil is the absence of Love. We need to know Love to understand Evil . . . just as we need to know light to understand its absence darkness. Please point to all the Evil in there that is used so we can know what love is.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:47 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,140,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You have it backwards, Lego!God does NOT purpose Evil, period. It is our immature FAILURES that produce Evil. God does NOT override our Will . . . so for all intents and purposes . . . WE have Dominion and are responsible for ALL Evil.
Yes I acknowledge our failures can produce evil.

But you have also acknowledged that God is responsible for all things. So even though we are responsible for our individual choices, God is responsible for the whole shebang. And He takes responsibility by promising to restore and reconcile all things.

Quote:
Natural disasters and tragedies are NOT Evil . . . they are just tragic aspects of living on earth. You have it backwards. Evil is the absence of Love. We need to know Love to understand Evil . . . just as we need to know light to understand its absence darkness.
Quote:
If you are going to say I don't know what love is, I refer you to 1 Cor 13.
Please point to all the Evil in there that is used so we can know what love is.
I'm not sure, maybe you are just not seeing it the same way. But I have pointed it out already.

Love does not delight in EVIL.
Love forgives others of their EVIL.
Love protects others from EVIL.

Try to describe these aspects of LOVE to someone who doesn't know what evil is.

Anyway, not sure how much more we should continue, we seem to be repeating back and forth. Be well Mystic.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:41 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,941,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
No I am not of those who believe He was plagued by God,
That is what the text says though. It doesn't say those who esteemed Him to be as such, wrongfully did so.

Quote:
I believe He was plagued by the sins of His own people as verse 8 states.
I would agree. The Messiah was plagued by (or for) our sins. However, the scriptures also tell us how and Who laid our sins on Him.

Are you saying these texts are not true?

Isa 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Are you saying that is NOT what the Lord did?

Isa 53:10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

Are you saying the Lord did NOT bruise Him? And He did NOT put Him to grief? And, are you saying it did NOT please the Lord to do so?

Mat 26:31 Then saith Jesus unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock shall be scattered abroad.

Are you saying Jesus did not say what is recorded? Who is the "I" referring to in the text?

How do you understand these texts?

Old 01-19-2012, 10:28 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,140,921 times
Quote:
Because man has dominion brother. As I have pointed out many times before Jesus kingdom/dominion/rule is NOT of this world.
So why did God give man dominion, since all this murder and rape and evil would come of it? (some would even say God knew the murder and rape and evil would happen)

Old 01-19-2012, 10:50 PM

63,940 posts, read 40,210,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Yes I acknowledge our failures can produce evil.

But you have also acknowledged that God is responsible for all things. So even though we are responsible for our individual choices, God is responsible for the whole shebang. And He takes responsibility by promising to restore and reconcile all things.
God is responsible for "wanting and planning" to give us Dominion and free will that He would not override. This does NOT mean He is wanting and planning the Evil that we do. He knows of it . . . but He does NOT want or plan it because it results ENTIRELY from our Will which He will NOT override.
Quote:
I'm not sure, maybe you are just not seeing it the same way. But I have pointed it out already.
We do not see it the same way, but that does not put us at cross purposes, my brother. I have seen the devastation that attends the lives of those who have been raised in homes with Evil and without love. They did not learn about love from their Evil homes. We learn about love from Love . . . NOT Evil. Evil is the absence of love.
Quote:
Anyway, not sure how much more we should continue, we seem to be repeating back and forth. Be well Mystic.
Hope springs eternal, Lego . . . Be Well in Christ's love.
Mystic

Old 01-20-2012, 12:26 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,407,564 times
Is the designer or manufacturer of an automobile, morally responsible for the drunk driver who runs down and kills an innocent child?
Is the beverage company or salesman, morally responsible for the drunk drivers
irresponsibility?

Would not the drunk driver be held accountable to a higher authority for his own lack of good judgment?

Old 01-20-2012, 02:09 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,083,816 times
Quote:
No, as He is always present and searches the hearts of men, not because He foreknew it from creation.
Then Hawyaw is not omniscient?...

Old 01-20-2012, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Oh no I am actually agreeing with Richard
I am not sure, but I think I smell sarcasm......I am just saying that, if memory serves, that the context containing that verse, of being bound over to disobeidience, is applied to the Jews and for a particular purpose...

Old 01-20-2012, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Thanks pnuema.

If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town.

The traditional belief in this is that "you've had your chance to hear the truth, i'm out of here". This is not rejection from God's side, it simply means you have to walk away sometimes for a season.

Feet represent our understanding, and the dust we actually shake off our feet is the teachings and traditions of men. And just as our feet weary from long walks, so does our mind when you are up against or round the teachings and traditions of men, walking away is good for all.
Shaking the dust off your feet is not applied to believers, it is being applied to witnessing the Truth, the Gospel, to a non-believer...That verse does not have the wide application in which you are using it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity