Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 02:36 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,229,683 times

Advertisements

Seriously.

There's a lot of certainty on this board among people who are quoting from a 1,700 year old collection of works that was cobbled together by a committee from fragments written in ancient languages. Was it penned by God? Was it written by people who, in good faith, tried to explain encounters with the Divine? Who knows?

I like to think of myself as a person of faith. But I don't even pretend to completely understand everything I read in the Bible. I find the Word to be inconsistent in places and hopelessly vague in others. And, with the exception of the Decalogue, it can be maddeningly indirect. To me, to state that I fully understand God's meaning and purposes is an unholy act of hubris. We are talking about the Creator of the Universe, right? How does one person on one small planet circling an insignificant star in a minor galaxy say that he fully understands the Bible's intent and be in his right mind?

Yet, each of us seems to think that we alone have the hotline to God, that we alone are completely and utterly sure in our knowledge and understanding.

So here's my question to you. How do you really know that you're right? No saying, "Why I read it in the Bible," or "Why, I learned that in parochial school," because those would be cop-outs. Instead, how can you claim to have personal, complete knowledge of God and his intentions? Just as importantly, did God only whisper in your ear, as opposed to the person you disagree with on the forum? I'm really interested in hearing your reply.

Last edited by cpg35223; 01-17-2012 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 03:05 PM

322 posts, read 317,602 times
egos want to be right and know all things.

when you have the truth it will bring peace to your mind and soul. if u have inner peace u know truth

if your knowledge causes u to battle and debate constantly trying to defend yourself. this is not peace..
truth does not need to prove itself.. when it reveals itself.. its evidence is clear for all to see. beyond form and name. you know the truth by the way it feels.

WE are truth.. to be you beneath your conditioning.. the real you is truth.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:30 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,862,206 times
Mark Twain once said, "It's not the things in the Bible that I don't understand that give me the most trouble, ... it's the things I do understand!"

The Bible is far more than a 'confusing book cobbled together by ancient mystics.' It is also not as complicated as those who have never dedicated themselves to studying it, often proclaim.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:39 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,957,155 times
I have a confidence that I will be led to the truth, I do not think it is wrong to be confident along the way. Insecurity is what will cause us to sway with the wind.

Those who say they are absolutely right in matters of biblical interpretation are not wrong for believing so, a person simply shows who they are when confronted by someone who doesn't agree.

Someone who says I reject God bcause I reject their beliefs or someone who expresses an anticipation for the day God shows me whos boss while they watch is doing nothing but showing their character, not Gods.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:48 PM

9,697 posts, read 10,046,682 times
In the Bible from 1 Corinthians 2 :10-16 .... As Christians is .``.But God has revealed them to us by his Spirit, for the Spirit searches all things , the deep things of God .. For what man knows the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in Him?..even so the things of God knows no man but the Spirit of God .... Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit which is of God , that we might know the things that are freely given to us by God........Which things also which we speak not in the words which man`s wisdom teaches , but which the Holy Spirit teaches , comparing spiritual things with spiritual.... But the natural man receives not the things of the Spirit of God for they are foolishness to him, neither can he know them because they are spiritually discerned ......but he that is spiritual judges all things yet he himself is judged of no man...For who has known the mind of the Lord , that he may instruct him?. But we have the mind of Christ.....``............... See Christians who have obeyed the command of the living God Son Lord Jesus Christ an through faith have repented and accepted His Spirit into Our lives will be livened by Jesus Holy Spirit where all understanding, and wisdom, of truth, Come as there is no other way.....

Old 01-17-2012, 03:52 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,200,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
So here's my question to you. How do you really know that you're right? No saying, "Why I read it in the Bible," or "Why, I learned that in parochial school," because those would be cop-outs.
That's a big opposition to the mind of the spirit - filling your head with carnal interpretations.

Quote:
Instead, how can you claim to have personal, complete knowledge of God and his intentions? Just as importantly, did God only whisper in your ear, as opposed to the person you disagree with on the forum? I'm really interested in hearing your reply.
They that are lead by the Spirit of God will be called the sons of God. (Rom 8:14). Notice the use of "spirit"? That's what God is, and that's what we are to be - spiritual beings having a natural experience instead of the other way around.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:01 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,638,134 times
"Are we all a bunch of self-important, unhinged, egotistical lunatics?"

In a word........YES.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
That's a big opposition to the mind of the spirit - filling your head with carnal interpretations.

They that are lead by the Spirit of God will be called the sons of God. (Rom 8:14). Notice the use of "spirit"? That's what God is, and that's what we are to be - spiritual beings having a natural experience instead of the other way around.
But how do you know you are really being led by the spirit? How do you know you're just listening to a few misfiring synapses in your head? Because if you're involved in spirited debate on this board, chances are you're trading blows with someone who feels led by the spirit, too.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:14 PM

Our reading today in church reminded me of this post

1 Corinthians 8:1

"We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up."

Old 01-29-2012, 04:25 PM

322 posts, read 317,602 times
Quote:
Seriously.

There's a lot of certainty on this board among people who are quoting from a 1,700 year old collection of works that was cobbled together by a committee from fragments written in ancient languages. Was it penned by God? Was it written by people who, in good faith, tried to explain encounters with the Divine? Who knows?

I like to think of myself as a person of faith. But I don't even pretend to completely understand everything I read in the Bible. I find the Word to be inconsistent in places and hopelessly vague in others. And, with the exception of the Decalogue, it can be maddeningly indirect. To me, to state that I fully understand God's meaning and purposes is an unholy act of hubris. We are talking about the Creator of the Universe, right? How does one person on one small planet circling an insignificant star in a minor galaxy say that he fully understands the Bible's intent and be in his right mind?

Yet, each of us seems to think that we alone have the hotline to God, that we alone are completely and utterly sure in our knowledge and understanding.

So here's my question to you. How do you really know that you're right? No saying, "Why I read it in the Bible," or "Why, I learned that in parochial school," because those would be cop-outs. Instead, how can you claim to have personal, complete knowledge of God and his intentions? Just as importantly, did God only whisper in your ear, as opposed to the person you disagree with on the forum? I'm really interested in hearing your reply.
what we experience is our truth.. each of us has a unique human experience.

i can relate to being self righteous.. i think i used to be very much so..
until i realsied that everyon is different and what i choose is my choice and what some else chooses is theirs.. once we dont judge eachother and we respect eachother and we can live in the same world without war-ing with eachother over our differnent opinions.
Live and let live.. choosing goodness all the time.. even though you may choose to express your truth differntly to me.. we are all family. in this together..its time we get along

thank god everyone is not the same, how boring would that be.. lets embrace our differences and celebrate them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity