Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 11:13 PM

698 posts, read 648,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Yes, I suppose it could but it comes out the same, a literal rock does not accompany people, Only a living Rock can do that.
The "rock" is here put by a figure of speech (or, metonymy to be more precise) for the water that came out of it my friend.

The stream of living spring water went with the people on their wilderness journey. The statement that "they drank” of the rock is in the imperfect tense, indicating continuous action- they kept on drinking of that water, it continued throughout the wilderness (Isa. 48:21).

Old 01-30-2012, 11:53 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,543,106 times
Default T.D. Jakes says he has embraced doctrine of the Trinity

T.D. Jakes says he has embraced doctrine of the Trinity

Old 01-31-2012, 07:14 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,546,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kids in america_ View Post
The "rock" is here put by a figure of speech (or, metonymy to be more precise) for the water that came out of it my friend.

The stream of living spring water went with the people on their wilderness journey. The statement that "they drank” of the rock is in the imperfect tense, indicating continuous action- they kept on drinking of that water, it continued throughout the wilderness (Isa. 48:21).
EX 17:6 "Behold, I will stand before you there upon the rock in Horeb; and you shalt smite the rock, and there shall come water out of it, that the people may drink. And Moses did so in the sight of the elders of Israel." The literal rock was in Horeb not everywhere in the wilderness. That rock did not follow them but rather they came to the rock.

PS 78:23 "Though He had commanded the clouds from above, and opened the doors of heaven,
PS 78:24 And had rained down manna upon them to eat, and had given them of the corn of heaven.
PS 78:25 Man did eat angels' food: he sent them meat to the full."
He gave them manna to eat and Angels' food to eat. The manna was literal but the Angel food was spiritual. Angels do not eat the food we eat but spiritual food. What sustains Angels was what was also given to the children of Israel. Christ is the "food" from Heaven and that is why He said eat of Me.

He gave them other means to have water to drink besides that method of from the rock. One of which was:
EX 15:23 And when they came to Marah, they could not drink of the waters of Marah, for they were bitter: therefore the name of it was called Marah.
EX 15:24 And the people murmured against Moses, saying, What shall we drink?
EX 15:25 And he cried unto the LORD; and the LORD showed him a tree, which when he had cast into the waters, the waters were made sweet: there He made for them a statute and an ordinance, and there He proved them,

Last edited by garya123; 01-31-2012 at 07:34 AM..

Old 01-31-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
The literal rock was in Horeb not everywhere in the wilderness. That rock did not follow them but rather they came to the rock.

PS 78:23 "Though He had commanded the clouds from above, and opened the doors of heaven,
PS 78:24 And had rained down manna upon them to eat, and had given them of the corn of heaven.
PS 78:25 Man did eat angels' food: he sent them meat to the full."
He gave them manna to eat and Angels' food to eat. The manna was literal but the Angel food was spiritual. Angels do not eat the food we eat but spiritual food. What sustains Angels was what was also given to the children of Israel. Christ is the "food" from Heaven and that is why He said eat of Me.
No. I didn't say that. I said somehow the water from that smitten rock went with them. I said “the rock” in 1Cor 10 was used metonymically for what came out of it, i.e. the water.

Quote:
He gave them other means to have water to drink besides that method of from the rock. One of which was:
EX 15:23 And when they came to Marah, they could not drink of the waters of Marah, for they were bitter: therefore the name of it was called Marah.
EX 15:24 And the people murmured against Moses, saying, What shall we drink?
EX 15:25 And he cried unto the LORD; and the LORD showed him a tree, which when he had cast into the waters, the waters were made sweet: there He made for them a statute and an ordinance, and there He proved them,
But Paul in 1Co 10 was alluding to the water that came out of the smitten rock.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:44 PM

1Co 10:4 is just showing how the rock that gave forth water in the desert was an example of the spiritual rock Christ.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
No. I didn't say that. I said somehow the water from that smitten rock went with them. I said “the rock” in 1Cor 10 was used metonymically for what came out of it, i.e. the water.

But Paul in 1Co 10 was alluding to the water that came out of the smitten rock.
1COR 10:3 "And did all eat the same spiritual meat;" [Angel food] as I explained on post 253

"1COR 10:4 "And did all drink the same spiritual drink." As I explained on post 253.

In Exodus we have water being called water but in I Corinthians it says spiritual water and spiritual meat. Not just because it was given by God but because it was spiritual in nature.
EX 15:25 "And he[Moses]cried unto the LORD; and the LORD showed him a tree, which when he had cast into the waters, the waters were made sweet: there He made for them a statute and an ordinance, and there He proved them"

REV 22:17 "And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely." This water is also spiritual because it is the life of the soul.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
1Co 10:4 is just showing how the rock that gave forth water in the desert was an example of the spiritual rock Christ.
No, it does not. The spiritual rock itself was spiritual because Paul said it was Christ, unless you want to change the construct of the English language, it says the water that Paul, was talking about was from the spiritual rock not the rock at Horeb. Paul was not talking about the water that came from the rock when Moses stuck the rock. Christ was with them in the wilderness not as the Son of Man but as the Word of the Waters of Life. There are the literal lessons of provision and the spiritual lessons of provision.

The literal should not be mixed with the spiritual or you loose that particular blessing in understanding it. Add up all the misinterpretations and that is a lot of blessings forfeited for oneself and for others.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:

First you call it living water and then say it was just water that represents Christ as the one who gave it. You make no sense at all and then you say the stream of water followed them when I have already shown you of a least one other way that the Lord provided literal water in a different way other than the from the rock at Horeb. Think what you will, I'm just making it plain for others to choose what the correct interpretation is.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:25 PM

Thank you to whoever just gave me the rep on #258. At least someone is listening and getting blessed.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:32 PM

33,332 posts, read 26,546,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
1 Cor 10:4 and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ.

Paul was referencing Ex 17:6; Nu 20:11; Ps 78:15,20, 105:41; Isa 43:20, 48:21

---> 1 Corinthians 10:4 and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ.
Quote:

Listen to what I am saying. In Exodus 17:6 the Lord said, ''Behold, I will stand before you there on the rock at Horob; and you shall strike the rock, and water will come out of it, that the people may drink.''

According to Paul, Jesus Christ was the source of this water. Because the incident with the water (Exodus 17:6) occurred at the beginning of Israel's wanderings through the wilderness and happened again near the end of their wanderings (Numbers 20:1-13) Paul came to the conclusion that Christ was with them through their wilderness journey.

The source of the water was Jesus Christ. The source was supernatural. Therefore, Paul referred to it as a spiritual drink.

Just as the manna (1 Cor 10:3, Exodus 16:4,15) was the spiritual food that the Israelites all ate during their desert wanderings, so to was the water they drank supernaturally provided. Therefore, Christ was the spiritual drink.
Quote:
Yes. But in 1 Cor 10:3-4 Paul was referring to the source of the Israelites sustenance during their wilderness wanderings. The manna as well as the water was provided by God. Since the water was provided by Christ and came from a rock, Paul called Christ the spiritual rock which followed them. And the water was a spiritual drink because it was supernaturally provided by Christ.
Quote:
It's not about the literal rock. It's about the source of the provision. The water was provided by God. So was every other need that the Israelites had. I've told you what Paul was referring to and yet you do not understand.
Since some people don't seem to understand what I said about Paul's reference in 1 Cor 10:4 concerning the spiritual rock, I will post what the Bible knowledge Commentary says about Paul's statement.

'As a fifth advantage, Paul listed the spiritual drink enjoyed by Israel in the desert (Ex. 17:6). According to Paul, Christ was the source of this supernatural water. Since the incident of the rock which produced water marked the beginning of Israel's wilderness wanderings (Ex. 17:1-7) and happened again near the ending of their wanderings (Num. 20:1-13), Paul concluded that Christ accompanied them. Christ too was the source of supernatural water for the Corinthians (cf. John 4:10-14).'

The Bible Knowledge Commentary New Testament, An Exposition of the Scriptures by Dallas Seminary, p. 526.

Now, as previously posted, here again is commentary which also explains what Paul was meant. ---> 1 Corinthians 10:4 and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ.

Frankly, I don't know how anyone could as one poster did, claim to have read the commentaries in the link provided above and say that the commentaries are wrong.

Now the above should be clear. And since this is off topic, I won't say anything more about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity