Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:44 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,443 times

Advertisements

I am a Christian....been one for a long time. Read my Bible, pray, go to church. Used to believe that Christians who truly belong to the lord could not have a demonic influence in them. I am not talking about Christians being POSSESSED. But I will tell you my story - you can tell me what you think.

I have been married 20 odd years.....had a really, really difficult time in this marriage, husband can be abusive....once made a decision for the Lord, but backslid big time......hasn't been to church for YEARS.

After being told to F.....off for years etc....I have often been on the brink of leaving....but hubby manages to 'change' briefly and things get better briefly.

One Sunday night I am in the evening meeting of the local church.....a guy is there who is divorced, I have never felt comfortable talking to him....but, I have NOT fancied him. Thought he was not my type.

Bear with me here.

I have never been unfaithful to my husband. Despite everything.

All of a sudden....I felt what literally felt like an ARROW going through me...from through my back. Literally felt like a big arrow!

I walk out of the meeting....past this guy - who suddenly swivells his head round to look at me.....since then, struggled with this attraction towards this man....feeling as though I am in love.

For a while I was deceived - then I realised it was satans arrow - trying to get me to sin, leave my marriage. This guy also has been showing signs of attraction to me - he sits right near me in church, grinning away.

But - the amazing thing is - God provided the way out - you remember that verse - He does not tempt us more than we can bear, but gives us a way out - well, my husband starts to want to come to church!!! He is talking about getting baptised in water. He knows noting about what happened. He did come to church with me and this othe guy who is attracted to me looked SO hurt, because my husband does not come to church, he never goes anywhere with me - BBQ, church socials. I think this guy thought my marriage was over like HIS and was hoping that I would leave my husband.

Anyway, I know this guy is going to be at church this Sunday am - and I know My husband wants to come to church with me. I know that this guy will sit right by me and be very hurt by things.

But, I also realise that the ARROW was a Supernatural attack on me PHYSICALLY. I have had to pray for release and for Gods Truth to be helping me to do whats right.

My husbands behaviour has miracolously changed. He doesn't swear at me. He has been very loving and affectionate. Marriage is for life. I could have left my husband and I had more reason than many, many people to do so. I was sorely tempted by a life with this other guy...which I know would have been fun (he is sociable and fun)....I was sooooo tempted.

But, I have also learnt a BIG lesson...that we ARE indeed in a Spiritual battle and that satan can get his vile demons to fire darts and arrows at us. I have like I said NEVER fancied this man previously....then WHAM can't stop thinking of him for 8 weeks.

But, I have told God, I will not sin against him in this. Purify my heart and I will resisit the devil and he will flee.

WHAT do you think about all this? Value the sincere, honest opinions of those who maybe have been through their own battles and have advice to help me continue in the good fight! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 07:04 AM

939 posts, read 1,025,419 times
I'm going to be speak to you as a pastor would to a congregant. Please take this as a caring admonition of a brother.

Regardless of personal attraction toward this man, your commitment is to your husband. As a Christian woman, you are commanded to love your husband and to be faithful to him. Do not, under any circumstance, allow yourself to be alone with him, and do not make any opportunity for any appearance of any wrongdoing to be seen. If you have to be in a room with him, have at least 1 other person present--preferably your husband or several friends.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:06 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times
You have come to a correct understanding. Yes, Satan does tempt us at times. But we also have the sinful flesh that is still with us, that does not want us to love God, love our fellow man or do God's will. IF you are looking for something in the Bible on this, check out Romans 6 and 7, especially 7. Paul describes his own battles in his flesh. But then also follow it up by reading Romans 8, which declares a beautiful Gospel message.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:25 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,949,667 times
I think it is great that your husband is seeing a new direction towards loving you more, I hope that getting him to go to church hasn't been your #1 priority towards him as a wife or this change will be temporary and not last. Because if he is doing it to either gain your affections or get you off his back, then he is going for all the wrong reasons.

About this other guy, human interaction is human interaction, you write as if you have done nothing towards this other guy to warrant him sitting by you and just grinning. If he has done this all on his own without any help from you, he is a creep and you need to face him and tell him to stay away from you. Otherwise, if you have interacted with him more than you are letting on in your post, then do the right thing and have a conversation with him and tell him it is over.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:28 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
I think it is great that your husband is seeing a new direction towards loving you more, I hope that getting him to go to church hasn't been your #1 priority towards him as a wife or this change will be temporary and not last. Because if he is doing it to either gain your affections or get you off his back, then he is going for all the wrong reasons.

About this other guy, human interaction is human interaction, you write as if you have done nothing towards this other guy to warrant him sitting by you and just grinning. If he has done this all on his own without any help from you, he is a creep and you need to face him and tell him to stay away from you. Otherwise, if you have interacted with him more than you are letting on in your post, then do the right thing and have a conversation with him and tell him it is over.
Good advice, Phazelwood.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:11 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,226,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
I am a Christian....been one for a long time. Read my Bible, pray, go to church. Used to believe that Christians who truly belong to the lord could not have a demonic influence in them. I am not talking about Christians being POSSESSED. But I will tell you my story - you can tell me what you think.

I have been married 20 odd years.....had a really, really difficult time in this marriage, husband can be abusive....once made a decision for the Lord, but backslid big time......hasn't been to church for YEARS.

After being told to F.....off for years etc....I have often been on the brink of leaving....but hubby manages to 'change' briefly and things get better briefly.

One Sunday night I am in the evening meeting of the local church.....a guy is there who is divorced, I have never felt comfortable talking to him....but, I have NOT fancied him. Thought he was not my type.

Bear with me here.

All of a sudden....I felt what literally felt like an ARROW going through me...from through my back. Literally felt like a big arrow!

I walk out of the meeting....past this guy - who suddenly swivells his head round to look at me.....since then, struggled with this attraction towards this man....feeling as though I am in love.

For a while I was deceived - then I realised it was satans arrow - trying to get me to sin, leave my marriage. This guy also has been showing signs of attraction to me - he sits right near me in church, grinning away.

But - the amazing thing is - God provided the way out - you remember that verse - He does not tempt us more than we can bear, but gives us a way out - well, my husband starts to want to come to church!!! He is talking about getting baptised in water. He knows noting about what happened. He did come to church with me and this othe guy who is attracted to me looked SO hurt, because my husband does not come to church, he never goes anywhere with me - BBQ, church socials. I think this guy thought my marriage was over like HIS and was hoping that I would leave my husband.

Anyway, I know this guy is going to be at church this Sunday am - and I know My husband wants to come to church with me. I know that this guy will sit right by me and be very hurt by things.

But, I also realise that the ARROW was a Supernatural attack on me PHYSICALLY. I have had to pray for release and for Gods Truth to be helping me to do whats right.

My husbands behaviour has miracolously changed. He doesn't swear at me. He has been very loving and affectionate. Marriage is for life. I could have left my husband and I had more reason than many, many people to do so. I was sorely tempted by a life with this other guy...which I know would have been fun (he is sociable and fun)....I was sooooo tempted.

But, I have also learnt a BIG lesson...that we ARE indeed in a Spiritual battle and that satan can get his vile demons to fire darts and arrows at us. I have like I said NEVER fancied this man previously....then WHAM can't stop thinking of him for 8 weeks.

But, I have told God, I will not sin against him in this. Purify my heart and I will resisit the devil and he will flee.

WHAT do you think about all this? Value the sincere, honest opinions of those who maybe have been through their own battles and have advice to help me continue in the good fight! Thank you!
Let me see if I understand this.

1) you're in an abusive relationship

2) you are not having your emotional needs met by your husband.

3) a divorced man at your church smiled at you.

4) as a result, you felt a hormonal/emotional response caused by someone showing you attention.

5) because of your "arrow thru the heart" feeling you felt guilty and chose to blame it on a demonic influence rather than accepting it for what it was.

All I see here is a woman who's needs have been neglected by her husband, a very unhappy woman, who acted like a schoolgirl because a cute guy (?) smiled at her.

Did you consider that the "other man" could sense that you were unhappy and saw you as a kindred spirit? Maybe he's socially awkward and doesn't interact well with women.

Sometimes it's just what it is, no need to pick it apart. He smiled at you, you felt giddy, end of story.

I'm glad your husband seems to be making an effort but you need to learn how to talk to him. Tell him what you want and need out of your marriage. After all, there are two of you in this relationship.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:34 PM

299 posts, read 263,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
I'm going to be speak to you as a pastor would to a congregant. Please take this as a caring admonition of a brother.

Regardless of personal attraction toward this man, your commitment is to your husband. As a Christian woman, you are commanded to love your husband and to be faithful to him. Do not, under any circumstance, allow yourself to be alone with him, and do not make any opportunity for any appearance of any wrongdoing to be seen. If you have to be in a room with him, have at least 1 other person present--preferably your husband or several friends.
Pastor of which church?

Old 12-30-2011, 12:56 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,390,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post

Bear with me here.

Whichever area you are weakest in the flesh, it is there you will be tempted by Satan. And yes, we must always resist those temptations and he will flee. It's an ongoing battle.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:31 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,226,015 times
Why is it so hard to accept responsibility for being human? Why does everything have to be a test of your faith or be caused by an invisible entity? When did being Christian become an excuse to blame a natural biological response on Satan?

For the love of all that is good in this world, accept that we are all human first, we all have wants, needs and desires that are built in. Standard factory equipment as it were.

It's the contention of Christians that we were made in G's image, by him. If he hadn't meant for you to have hormones then why did he give them to you? I don't think that we were meant to be robots, unfeeling and oblivious to our own needs.

:smack;

Old 12-30-2011, 03:55 PM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Let me see if I understand this.

1) you're in an abusive relationship

2) you are not having your emotional needs met by your husband.

3) a divorced man at your church smiled at you.

4) as a result, you felt a hormonal/emotional response caused by someone showing you attention.

5) because of your "arrow thru the heart" feeling you felt guilty and chose to blame it on a demonic influence rather than accepting it for what it was.

All I see here is a woman who's needs have been neglected by her husband, a very unhappy woman, who acted like a schoolgirl because a cute guy (?) smiled at her.

Did you consider that the "other man" could sense that you were unhappy and saw you as a kindred spirit? Maybe he's socially awkward and doesn't interact well with women.

Sometimes it's just what it is, no need to pick it apart. He smiled at you, you felt giddy, end of story.

I'm glad your husband seems to be making an effort but you need to learn how to talk to him. Tell him what you want and need out of your marriage. After all, there are two of you in this relationship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Why is it so hard to accept responsibility for being human? Why does everything have to be a test of your faith or be caused by an invisible entity? When did being Christian become an excuse to blame a natural biological response on Satan?

For the love of all that is good in this world, accept that we are all human first, we all have wants, needs and desires that are built in. Standard factory equipment as it were.

It's the contention of Christians that we were made in G's image, by him. If he hadn't meant for you to have hormones then why did he give them to you? I don't think that we were meant to be robots, unfeeling and oblivious to our own needs.

:smack;
Excellent posts, Pam . . . but you are talking to "true believers" with a very different worldview and perspective on life that is resistant to logic, reason, and knowledge of human psychology. It is one of the tragic consequences of retaining and inculcating ancient ignorance for over 2000 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity