Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 06:19 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,272,579 times

Advertisements

WHY SHOULD WE STUDY THE BIBLE?

While we are on this earth we are to represent Christ in everything we do. Our job is to represent Christ to the world and to preach His saving message. By studying His word we will be able to give reasons and to prove by the Word to the lost why Christ is our hope.

Matthew 4:4 But He answered and said, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.'"

2Timothy 2:15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2Timothy 4:2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.

2Tmothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

1Peter 2:2 as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby,

Job 23:12 I have not departed from the commandment of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary food.

Acts 17:11 These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so.

1Co 2:13 These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

1John 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

2Peter 2:1 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction.

By studying the bible, it allows us to be better workman for God. It equips us with the armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-18) so that we can quench the fiery darts of the devil and be more than conquers in Christ.

John 8:32 "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

God Bless,

Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 10:03 AM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
2Tmothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
"Profitable" means USEFUL . . . NOT infallible or inerrant and "Inspiration" is NOT dictation.
God Bless,
Mystic

Old 02-21-2012, 10:57 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Because it is the very "breath of God".

Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Because it is the very "breath of God".
I guess that if I believed the Bible was the pure word of God i would study the scriptures 24/7.

However, it is unlikely that the Bible is the word of God because it was written by men that were highly imperfect. I would think that God would have done a much better job. So I look for God in other places besides just the Bible. In fact, the Bible limits the greatness of God.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:00 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I guess that if I believed the Bible was the pure word of God i would study the scriptures 24/7.

However, it is unlikely that the Bible is the word of God because it was written by men that were highly imperfect. I would think that God would have done a much better job. So I look for God in other places besides just the Bible. In fact, the Bible limits the greatness of God.
Emphasis added.

So this "great" God wasn't "great" enough to get a book in your hands you could rely on to be true?

It's thoughts and comments like this that are destroying the church today. If we have no standard of reliable truth, we are free to just make things up and say what we "feel" like is right.

Dangerous ground!

Indeed, God's word is faithful and true.....entirely "God-breathed".

Old 02-21-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Emphasis added.

So this "great" God wasn't "great" enough to get a book in your hands you could rely on to be true?

It's thoughts and comments like this that are destroying the church today. If we have no standard of reliable truth, we are free to just make things up and say what we "feel" like is right.

Dangerous ground!

In my case the standard of reference was the Church itself which is more than the bible, but that is also limiting.

I also believe that we cannot apply the morality of 2000-3000 tears ago to our current state. Otherwise, the secular movement will grow like it has done in Europe. I often wander if a practical system like Unity could do the trick, but I am too stubborn to give up my old traditions.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:25 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
In my case the standard of reference was the Church itself which is more than the bible, but that is also limiting.

I also believe that we cannot apply the morality of 2000-3000 tears ago to our current state. Otherwise, the secular movement will grow like it has done in Europe. I often wander if a practical system like Unity could do the trick, but I am too stubborn to give up my old traditions.
I believe I'll just bow out of this conversation as I read contradiction after contradiction in your words. I'm sure there's something wrong with my interpretive skills.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:09 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:

Has He told you the Scriptures are inadequate?

Old 02-21-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I believe I'll just bow out of this conversation as I read contradiction after contradiction in your words. I'm sure there's something wrong with my interpretive skills.
Before you leave:
Could you write the contradictions? I want to learn something new.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:32 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Emphasis added.
Yes . . . that is why He wrote on our hearts (NOT in ink) and provided His Holy Spirit to guide us to it . . . so we would not need any man to teach us the truth. Be honest, Alpha . . . you really do know in your heart of hearts what is true, just, decent, kind, loving, and what is NOT. It takes believing in the "precepts and doctrines of men" (and a literal uninformed reading of scriptures in English) to override what our hearts know is true (like God's ways are not our ways,etc.).
Quote:
This seems to reflect a lack of faith in the Living Word of God Jesus Christ who abides with us, Alpha. The only thing that would make our inner "feelings" unreliable is our own insincerity or selfish agenda. If we are sincere and we query our heart . . . we find the truth there with the aid of the Holy Spirit. What is destroying the church is the adamant refusal to apply our extensive knowledge and understanding to the ancient interpretations of our ancestors . . . perpetuating their superstitions and ignorance. God is Love . . . NOT some egomaniacal tyrant demanding unthinking obedience. We are His children . . . NOT His pets.
Quote:
Except that the Bible is NOT God's word . . . Jesus IS . . . and He LIVES and abides with us as the Comforter within our consciousness. The scriptures are God-inspired but NOT dictated and certainly NOT infallible or inerrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity