Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 06:21 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,545 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone. I just got done watching Joel Osteen and was really ministered to by what I saw. I thought although it is simple I would share it anyway.

The Amplied Bible says in 1 Corinthians 13...

"Love endures long and is patient..."

"Love (God's love in us) does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking; it is not touchy or fretful or resentful; it takes no account of the evil done to it [it pays no attention to a suffered wrong]."

"Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and it endures everything [without weakening]."

Joel Osteen was saying that when someone is being mean and nasty, our immediate reaction is to lash back in defense...but that doesn't fit with the above scriptural definition of love, of God's love in us.

When someone is being mean and rude, it is like a poison that can take root in us if we let it. We then in turn pass it on to others... and on and on...

Oftentime we don't know what's going on with that person, they may have things happening in their life that have them down and angry...

Joel gave the example of one day at the supermarket, he was in line to pay, several people back yet. The cashier was being cold and rude to everyone in line, and one by one they lashed back and stormed out. When he got there he smiled and asked how she was doing. She snarled out a "Horrible" to him. He told her that he was a minister and would be happy to pray for her. Immediately, her entire countenance changed, she started telling him how her daughter was in the hospital, and they didn't have insurance, she and her husband had been fighting lately...and she burst into tears. He held her hands and prayed and when they were done she was glowing

I myself have been quite guilty of not following the above verses in particular. I have had to take stock and check the status of my heart...I still have a ways to go...

So, this spoke to me, and I immediately thought of my CD family (as Alpha says), and thought I would share. I hope it ministers to you too.

Someone once said to forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover the prisoner was you.

I close, yet again, with a quote...

Sincere forgiveness isn't colored with expectations that the other person apologize or change. Don't worry whether or not they finally understand you. Love them and release them. Life feeds back truth to people in its own way and time—just like it does for you and me. --Sara Paddison
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 11:38 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,010,773 times
That was wonderful Jeff! I don't have time to elaborate on it at the moment, as I am heading out the door BY MYSELF to go to a different church this morning!
When I come back, I know I will be in a good mood and ready to take this on!

Thanks Jeff!

Old 09-09-2007, 01:24 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times
Default Sometimes we just don't know...

Yes, often we just don't know what's going on with someone. I will always remember one time as a switchboard operator, I was impatient (inwardly) with this woman who had called and was speaking very slowly. I was eager to "move her call through the system" and get on with things. Then she said something like, "Honey, I'm sorry I just can't seem to find the words. That 's what this brain cancer does." Well, you can imagine how I felt about my impatience then.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:04 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,422,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Good morning everyone. I just got done watching Joel Osteen and was really ministered to by what I saw. I thought although it is simple I would share it anyway.

"Love (God's love in us) does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking; it is not touchy or fretful or resentful; it takes no account of the evil done to it [it pays no attention to a suffered wrong]."

"Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and it endures everything [without weakening]."

Joel Osteen was saying that when someone is being mean and nasty, our immediate reaction is to lash back in defense...but that doesn't fit with the above scriptural definition of love, of God's love in us.

When someone is being mean and rude, it is like a poison that can take root in us if we let it. We then in turn pass it on to others... and on and on...

Oftentime we don't know what's going on with that person, they may have things happening in their life that have them down and angry...

Joel gave the example of one day at the supermarket, he was in line to pay, several people back yet. The cashier was being cold and rude to everyone in line, and one by one they lashed back and stormed out. When he got there he smiled and asked how she was doing. She snarled out a "Horrible" to him. He told her that he was a minister and would be happy to pray for her. Immediately, her entire countenance changed, she started telling him how her daughter was in the hospital, and they didn't have insurance, she and her husband had been fighting lately...and she burst into tears. He held her hands and prayed and when they were done she was glowing

I myself have been quite guilty of not following the above verses in particular. I have had to take stock and check the status of my heart...I still have a ways to go...

So, this spoke to me, and I immediately thought of my CD family (as Alpha says), and thought I would share. I hope it ministers to you too.

Someone once said to forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover the prisoner was you.

Sincere forgiveness isn't colored with expectations that the other person apologize or change. Don't worry whether or not they finally understand you. Love them and release them. Life feeds back truth to people in its own way and time—just like it does for you and me. --Sara Paddison
"Sincere forgiveness isn't colored with expectations that the other person apologize or change. [emphasis mine]

Except that doesn't seem to be the case when you're gay. If I'm forgiven, why do I have to change?

I wonder....since Joel is so rich, did he offer to pay for the medical expenses of that woman's daughter? I wonder if he thought about what it says in James 2: "Dear brothers, what's the use of saying that you have faith and are Christians if you aren't proving it by helping others? Will that kind of faith save anyone? If you have a friend who is in need of food and clothing, and you say to him, "Well, good-bye and God bless you; stay warm and eat hearty," and then don't give him clothes or food, what good does that do?"

Sorry, I'm not trying to be "unloving" or ruin a perfectly nice "happy, feel good" thread, but I call it as I see it. I'm just not a fan of Osteen.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:17 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,010,773 times
Now, here's some irony for you! The pastor, this morning, covered briefly on the SAME passage...but really brought things to LIFE!

His sermon (actually a series) was titled:
"Building the Healthy Body Series"
"The Journey of Putting Our Personal Life in Order"

Wow was this powerful for me this morning! It was mainly based in 1Timothy 4:6-16.

One of the biggest highlights for me was he asked..."Do you know why some people argue all the time?" He was talking about those who have to keep arguing, often being the only ones left in the room, still arguing, pretty much about NOTHING. The reason for this is...INSECURITY! It's because that person is so insecure he/she has the NEED to ARGUE to validate themselves AND to "show" they are important and they count! However, they are totally missing the picture! NO ONE is going to validate you or show your importance to you...EXCEPT FOR GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the one that argues, ends up standing alone!
We don't need validation or acceptance from our peers, we don't even need validation or acceptance from our family! The ONLY validation and acceptance we need is FROM GOD and GOD ALONE!

We have to work on US!

He also gave us this wonderful illustration:

We have 5 gauges:

1. Our Spiritual Gauge

2. Our Emotional Gauge

3. Our Mental Gauge

4. Our Attitude Gauge

5. Our Physical Gauge

And he had pictures on the overhead showing gauges like a speedometer, gas gauge, temperature gauge, RPMS, and amps!

It was truly AWESOME! Just had to share!

Old 09-09-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Yes, often we just don't know what's going on with someone. I will always remember one time as a switchboard operator, I was impatient (inwardly) with this woman who had called and was speaking very slowly. I was eager to "move her call through the system" and get on with things. Then she said something like, "Honey, I'm sorry I just can't seem to find the words. That 's what this brain cancer does." Well, you can imagine how I felt about my impatience then.
Yawzah! Yeah I have some stories like this too...for some reason the message struck home with me, so thought I would share...

Old 09-09-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
"Sincere forgiveness isn't colored with expectations that the other person apologize or change. [emphasis mine]

Except that doesn't seem to be the case when you're gay. If I'm forgiven, why do I have to change?
Well, you know I'm not advocating any change other than anyone accepting Christ and becoming more Christ like. Which anyone, gay or str8, can and should do.

Quote:
"[I wonder....since Joel is so rich, did he offer to pay for the medical expenses of that woman's daughter? I wonder if he thought about what it says in James 2: "Dear brothers, what's the use of saying that you have faith and are Christians if you aren't proving it by helping others? Will that kind of faith save anyone? If you have a friend who is in need of food and clothing, and you say to him, "Well, good-bye and God bless you; stay warm and eat hearty," and then don't give him clothes or food, what good does that do?"
Perhaps he did and simply didn't want to brag to the world about it. But really, that's here nor there with me...I just know the message was apt for me and thought I would share it. God can use anyone to minister to anyone, even if either one is flawed.

Quote:
"[Sorry, I'm not trying to be "unloving" or ruin a perfectly nice "happy, feel good" thread, but I call it as I see it. I'm just not a fan of Osteen.
Well, that's a bit surprising, since he makes it a point to usually not preach about hell or anti-homosexuality, believing that he is called to just preach the love of God.

But everyone is different...I know there are preachers out there I don't really care for either!

Also, I don't consider this a feel-good thread...it's actually something for me that I am having to deal with internally!

Old 09-09-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Now, here's some irony for you! The pastor, this morning, covered briefly on the SAME passage...but really brought things to LIFE!

His sermon (actually a series) was titled:
"Building the Healthy Body Series"
"The Journey of Putting Our Personal Life in Order"

Wow was this powerful for me this morning! It was mainly based in 1Timothy 4:6-16.

One of the biggest highlights for me was he asked..."Do you know why some people argue all the time?" He was talking about those who have to keep arguing, often being the only ones left in the room, still arguing, pretty much about NOTHING. The reason for this is...INSECURITY! It's because that person is so insecure he/she has the NEED to ARGUE to validate themselves AND to "show" they are important and they count! However, they are totally missing the picture! NO ONE is going to validate you or show your importance to you...EXCEPT FOR GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the one that argues, ends up standing alone!
We don't need validation or acceptance from our peers, we don't even need validation or acceptance from our family! The ONLY validation and acceptance we need is FROM GOD and GOD ALONE!

We have to work on US!

He also gave us this wonderful illustration:

We have 5 gauges:

1. Our Spiritual Gauge

2. Our Emotional Gauge

3. Our Mental Gauge

4. Our Attitude Gauge

5. Our Physical Gauge

And he had pictures on the overhead showing gauges like a speedometer, gas gauge, temperature gauge, RPMS, and amps!

It was truly AWESOME! Just had to share!
This is great...sounds like you got fed! What church did you visit?

Old 09-09-2007, 04:48 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,284,747 times
Quote:

Thanks jeffandcandace,
I like Joel Osteen also, His messages are inspiring, esp while I'm getting prepared to go worship, and I heard this also this morning, but was running back and forth, so I wasn't able to fine tune the message, But thanks this
is helpful

Old 09-09-2007, 04:51 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,422,817 times
Quote:
Well, you know I'm not advocating any change other than anyone accepting Christ and becoming more Christ like. Which anyone, gay or str8, can and should do.
Oh I know. I was just in a raw mood when I typed that. Just being a snit.

Quote:
Perhaps he did and simply didn't want to brag to the world about it. But really, that's here nor there with me...I just know the message was apt for me and thought I would share it. God can use anyone to minister to anyone, even if either one is flawed.
I'm glad you felt ministered to. And you're right - maybe he didn't allow his left hand to know what his right hand was doing. Or is it right hand knowing what his left hand was doing? Oh well, you know what I mean.

Quote:
Well, that's a bit surprising, since he makes it a point to usually not preach about hell or anti-homosexuality, believing that he is called to just preach the love of God.
Preaching, or not preaching, about hell or homosexuality has nothing to do with it. Actually, I don't really pay attention to any big name preachers. Not even Billy Graham. I'm just not a fan of any of them. But I will note that it seems whenever I turn on Osteen, he's always preaching about how to become financially wealthy, or some sort of message like that.

Quote:
Also, I don't consider this a feel-good thread...it's actually something for me that I am having to deal with internally!
Oh, Jeff, I just meant that I didn't want to "rain on the parade" or "be a dark cloud in the sunny sky over a picnic". It was an obviously nice, upbeat thread and I didn't want to ruin it. I was just in a mood, and wanted to comment about something that I should have just shut up about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity