Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,601 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
just a thought today I wanted to share for discussion.

We can see in the NT, that when Jesus preached, there was division among the people and Pharisees.
We don't know how often Jesus was in the synagoge, although we read that he was "teaching daily" there, so it appears that some Pharisees were ok with letting him teach. (After all, if not, he wouldn't be allowed to teach there! Wouldn't you agree?)

We can deduce from the division among the people and the Pharisees, that his message was revolutionary. It went against some of what the OT traditions demanded.

Today, I see that most Christians are faithful to a church denomination. They go to a church assembly regularly, they probably support it financially, and they do and believe what their pastor/preacher tells them to (or most of it, otherwise they wouldn't go. Don't you think?)

I've often looked at some of these "faithful ones" and asked myself, what if Jesus told them something that was radically different from what their church was teaching? Who would they follow? Jesus, or their church leaders?

I think it's very easy (comfortable) for a person to simply follow a church group. If it tells them to do A, they will do A. Even if A is against the teachings of Jesus.

My thought is this: Our faith (what we REALLY believe) will be revealed (to us and to everyone around us) when we are faced with a concrete, real-life situation that calls us to ACTION. At the moment of ACTION, we will reveal who we are: believers, or unbelievers.

I believe Jesus knew this. It seems to me that it was precisely when the people had to take a stand on what they believed, in spite what their religious guides told them to believe, and act. THAT was the moment of truth.

Some got up and followed Jesus. The rest got up and returned to the synagoge.

Peace,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 08:07 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,174,444 times
Since I left because the Lord was indeed showing us things the church wouldn't accept, I don't really have a horse in this race. But no doubt about it, follow the Lord.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:34 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,015,222 times
Brian,

Wonderful post. I just woke up a while ago and began wondering why people follow "ministries". Jesus said "follow me". I know that most pastors believe they are called to shepherd a flock, but should people be following any man?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Brian,

Wonderful post. I just woke up a while ago and began wondering why people follow "ministries". Jesus said "follow me". I know that most pastors believe they are called to shepherd a flock, but should people be following any man?
Hi Heartsong,
thank you. I agree that people shouldn't simply follow a pastor because of his/her title.

So when people say, "I follow Jesus," just what do they mean? How can they prove it?

I believe our greatest worship isn't in tentmeetings singing songs, but the actions of our hands. Lending a merciful hand, is true worship. Extending a fist in war, is devil worship. (even though both individuals might say that they "follow Jesus," but how nebulous a declaration!)

Just a thought..

Peace!
brian

Old 03-12-2012, 08:39 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,337,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post

Today, I see that most Christians are faithful to a church denomination. They go to a church assembly regularly, they probably support it financially, and they do and believe what their pastor/preacher tells them to (or most of it, otherwise they wouldn't go. Don't you think?)
God is a mystery.

All religion is man made and a feeble attempt to understand God.

However, religion serves a purpose if not taken too seriously.

Some folks believe the Bible and nothing else. However, the Bible is also man made. Some say the Bible it is inspired by God or written by God. However, the Bible is way too imperfect to be the creation of God. So in the end we really know little about God.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
God is a mystery.

All religion is man made and a feeble attempt to understand God.

However, religion serves a purpose if not taken too seriously.

Some folks believe the Bible and nothing else. However, the Bible is also man made. Some say the Bible it is inspired by God or written by God. However, the Bible is way too imperfect to be the creation of God. So in the end we really know little about God.
I agree. In fact, it was probably the very simple-minded folk who, when Jesus did wonderful works on the Sabbath, were able to rejoice and exalt God. And it was these works that were the 2-edged sword that cut asunder the bone of dead religion from the marrow of living, simple-hearted faith in God. Those who were offended at Jesus were looking with their souls; but those who were able to rejoice in the righteous acting were looking with their spirits.

Peace,
brian

Old 03-12-2012, 10:06 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,931,966 times
"Now when Jesus came into The Temple
The Chief Priests and The Elders 0f The People
Confronted Him As He Was Teaching, and said,
'By what authority are You doing these things?
And who gave You this authority?' - Matt.21:23

But, The Chief Priests & Elders feared the multitude of people
who believed Jesus and John to be Prophets. - Matt.21:26,46
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity