Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 09:37 AM

351 posts, read 355,548 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone Today something was said that made me think about something I have thought about before. The idea was put forth that a person could do what they wanted,sin as much as they wanted and as long as they asked Jesus for forgiveness, even on their death bed they would be forgiven and go to heaven.

I wonder how many people believe that, because I have heard many people say all you had to do was accept Jesus as your Saviour and that was it. Does not any one read the scriptures? We must, everyone of us, no exceptions, go though judgment. Some people will judge themselves, like the apostles did, and some will go though judgment from the Lord but we all will, reap what we have sown and will learn righteousness, though suffering.

What does it mean to judge yourself? Look at Paul. After he had received the Holy Spirit he live for many years and during that time he was beaten many times, stoned more that once, shipwrecked, imprisoned, and carried a demon in his flesh that constantly buffeted him. and he even asked God three time to remove the demon but as God said " my grace should be sufficient,"

All these woes that battered and damaged his flesh, made him physically weak but because he remained repentant and committed, he became a spiritual giant.

All the apostle were persecuted and suffered mightily for many years and all except John died horrible painful deaths. God uses physical suffering to make us spiritually strong. Even Jesus in his human body suffered greatly and the scriptures even say it pleases God, not because Jesus suffered but because of what it signified.

People we all have to go through judgment (which is the way God makes us reap what we have sown and come to repent and learn righteousness), either in this life by judging themselves or after resurrection when they will face God's judgment and there will be a wailing and a gnashing of teeth.

Yes I believe that God will save all his children( UR ) but it will not be painless and it will not be pretty, but the results will be beautiful.

Judgment will be for all, some few stripes some many but to think that all you have to do is ask Jesus for forgiveness is enough is going to be disappointed when they enter judgment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 12:31 PM

1,196 posts, read 755,041 times
It’s sad many are taught this from even their ministers, (who’s also blinded from the truth), 2Cor.4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. And 2Cor.-11:13-15, For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

My sister who’s husband believe all one has to do is repent on death bed. As I’ve said many times, One really take Jehovah God for something to play with, he’s not ,(Gal.6:7 -Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap). Any who calls themselves followers of Jesus, has to let go of the world. in order to be friends with his Father ,(1Pet.1:14 As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance), (Rom.12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God), and (James 4:4).

We have to make sure we’re at least TRYING to do the WILL of Jesus Father, (Matt.12:50-For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother), to even be seen as Jesus family. Many even refuse to believe Jesus never taught us to worship him. Yet they do, and still believe they have a first class ticket to Heaven. And th many who claim followers of Jesus, lives an debauched life. Repenting on death bed won’t get even a christian to Heaven. peace

Old 03-30-2012, 01:17 PM

461 posts, read 481,237 times
For those who have ears to hear and eyes to see the Lord says this; Psalms 1:5 The wicked will not stand in judgment, nor sinners in the company of the righteous; 6 for the Lord watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.

The Lord hears the prayer of the righteous but He is far from the wicked.

The righteous mans mouth speaks wisdom and His tongue proclaims judgement, the law of His God is in His heart and he will never stumble.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:28 AM

9,694 posts, read 10,033,758 times
All Christians must judge them selves in this temporal life on the earth as the temple of Holy Spirit is on their bodies , and if they fall from grace or into sin and even curses of the adversary , They are to turn to Lord Jesus ask for discernment of spirits from Holy Spirit , Repent of Sin and take up the authority of Jesus Blood prayers and remove the authority of dark spirits ... Were Lord Jesus will cleans Christians of all unrighteousness which is sin and these dark spirits .. See this is how Christians Judge themselves, or Holy Spirit, Judging the authority of dark spirits for redemption........ Then as these people live out their days and pass on ...Christians and non-Christians will be collected and brought to the judgment seat of Lord Jesus to be judged on what they did with Lord Jesus in their lives of sin that went unrepentant, and judged with how much fruit of the spirit that they have ......... See Christians will be judged after they are passed on like every one else, and it will be to late to judge themselves then...

Old 04-02-2012, 06:09 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,526,976 times
A Christian judges themselves daily through the Holy Spirit at work within them.

When we err and feel the remorse and are sorry and commit to do better we have been convicted/judged.

Judgement does not always carry a penalty but amnesty when we humbly and sincerely repent.
jmho

Old 04-02-2012, 06:18 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,024,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
A Christian judges themselves daily through the Holy Spirit at work within them.

When we err and feel the remorse and are sorry and commit to do better we have been convicted/judged.

Judgement does not always carry a penalty but amnesty when we humbly and sincerely repent.
jmho
My humble opinion too, Miss Blue. However, we should keep in mind that the Lord himself must teach us everything, including how to judge. There are some who, being confused might think they need to punish themselves for an unknown amount of time to "prove" their remorse. I am thinking of some of the scenes of people crawling on pebbles up a hill and things like that (which is an outward example) but even inwardly we need not think God wants us to despise ourselves. Despise sin, yes. Despise self, no.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:14 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,930,818 times
Heb 6:4 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit,Heb 6:5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, Heb 6:6 if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace

Heb 10:26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, Heb 10:27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. Heb 10:28 Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.Heb 10:29 How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?

To the OP. Based on these two texts from the book of Hebrews, I could not recommend anyone to go out and "sin all they want" and wait for their death bed to repent. After all, they might never make it to bed. They could die in a car wreck, a sudden heart attack, or they develop alzheimers and with their mind gone, then what? From my experience, most people on their death beds have also suffered a serious reduction in their mental abilities. (Being a pastor, I've been with quite a few people who were close to death.)

Old 04-02-2012, 08:02 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,642,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschulz View Post
Hi Everyone Today something was said that made me think about something I have thought about before. The idea was put forth that a person could do what they wanted,sin as much as they wanted and as long as they asked Jesus for forgiveness, even on their death bed they would be forgiven and go to heaven.

I wonder how many people believe that, because I have heard many people say all you had to do was accept Jesus as your Saviour and that was it. Does not any one read the scriptures? We must, everyone of us, no exceptions, go though judgment. Some people will judge themselves, like the apostles did, and some will go though judgment from the Lord but we all will, reap what we have sown and will learn righteousness, though suffering.

What does it mean to judge yourself? Look at Paul. After he had received the Holy Spirit he live for many years and during that time he was beaten many times, stoned more that once, shipwrecked, imprisoned, and carried a demon in his flesh that constantly buffeted him. and he even asked God three time to remove the demon but as God said " my grace should be sufficient,"

All these woes that battered and damaged his flesh, made him physically weak but because he remained repentant and committed, he became a spiritual giant.

All the apostle were persecuted and suffered mightily for many years and all except John died horrible painful deaths. God uses physical suffering to make us spiritually strong. Even Jesus in his human body suffered greatly and the scriptures even say it pleases God, not because Jesus suffered but because of what it signified.

People we all have to go through judgment (which is the way God makes us reap what we have sown and come to repent and learn righteousness), either in this life by judging themselves or after resurrection when they will face God's judgment and there will be a wailing and a gnashing of teeth.

Yes I believe that God will save all his children( UR ) but it will not be painless and it will not be pretty, but the results will be beautiful.

Judgment will be for all, some few stripes some many but to think that all you have to do is ask Jesus for forgiveness is enough is going to be disappointed when they enter judgment
John 14:17
Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you

John 17:9
I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

John 3:36
He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

1 John 5:12
He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

John 3:7
Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

I believe many will be surprised when they find out Universal Reconciliation is not a reality. No essential doctrine such as Salvation of one's soul should be reduced to one-verse theology. Text with context using the Whole Council of God proves UR to be not a reality. Teaching it is not wise.

As for judgment, the basic debate comes down to can a "born again" be pronounced Damned at the Judgment Seat do to our "Works"/Choices. Paul clearly teaches a Salvation apart from "Works" of the Mosaic Law (10 Commandments, Ceremonial Law, etc). James tells us (James 2) that while it is by Faith alone, Faith without "Works"/Faith-based "Choices" is dead. We are saved ultimately by "imputed righteousness" when being "born again" which occurs upon "believing".

Paul makes the case (Romans 4,5) that all that are "born again" have been "purchased" saved as Abraham was more than 430 years prior to the giving of the ten commandments on Mount Sinai. All that have been Baptized in the Holy Spirit are dead and buried with Christ (Romans 6,7). One transgression of the Law = Death. The Law cannon try a dead person twice. So a born again believer is "Dead" to the Law. It cannot try them twice. We are dead already and should be walking in the resurrection life by the Holy Spirit (can not walk in it if we have not been baptized).

The Holy Spirit "seals" the believer (Ephesians) "until the day of redemption" (Paul)/ forever (The Lord).

I believe the Parable of the Talents, Virgins, Wedding, etc are talking to saved believers. These judgments are clearly "Works" based upon what we reap we will sow. We will be rewarded for faithfulness to "Christ's Law"(His Words will judge us he says) and we will suffer loss for unfaithfulness (1 Corinthians 3). Those unfaithful will not "inherit" the Kingdom of God (Galatians 5).

One enters into eternal life by believing/repenting in heart. One inherits due to faithfulness. One evidently can be "Cast Away". I believe this is directly talking about the "Outer Darkness". One cannot equate the "Outer Darkness" with Gehenna because there is apparently two distinct Judgments. One for the Saved (Judgment prior to second coming) and one for the Unsaved (Great White Throne) <after the Millennium>.

Either way we are all to preserver to the end. Losing our inheritance is a shameful thing. Saved by Grace totally independent from our "Works". Not rewarded for unfaithfulness (Wicked, Slothful, unprofitable servant, etc).

Those that aren't "Servants" will be judged at the Great White Throne according to their "Works". Works determine the Greater Damnation.

Matthew 23:14
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

John 19:11
Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.

This is from my prayerful study. Let the Holy Spirit be your guide. For all that are not "born again", repent of your offenses to your Maker and he will freely (unmerited favor) forgive. Put your faith in His Works (atonement, resurrection) and you will be Saved from the Wrath that is coming upon a rejecting World. Christ is our "Passover Lamb".

Luke 13:2-5

2And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?

3I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

4Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?

5I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:09 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,642,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Heb 6:4 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit,Heb 6:5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, Heb 6:6 if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace

Heb 10:26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, Heb 10:27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. Heb 10:28 Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.Heb 10:29 How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?

To the OP. Based on these two texts from the book of Hebrews, I could not recommend anyone to go out and "sin all they want" and wait for their death bed to repent. After all, they might never make it to bed. They could die in a car wreck, a sudden heart attack, or they develop alzheimers and with their mind gone, then what? From my experience, most people on their death beds have also suffered a serious reduction in their mental abilities. (Being a pastor, I've been with quite a few people who were close to death.)
The Book of Hebrews is talking to "Jewish Christians". So these are Believers. Paul calls them "Holy Brethren"(Hebrews 3:1). There are three references to Kadesh Barnea (Numbers 13,14) throughout the epistle. A blood redeemed people out of the Land of Egypt that were slain in the wilderness due to "unbelief". God did not repent. He swears an oath. They will not inherit the promise Land. Inheritance and Entrance are two different things. Inheritance is due to our faithfulness (Galatians 5). Entrance is due to His faithfulness.

As for Hebrews 10, text with context is talking about a specific sin - returning to Animal Sacrifices. The writer of the Epistle makes a point that this is undoing what Christ came to accomplish. Animal Sacrifices could only cover sin not take it away. So rejecting Christ results in no forgiveness of sins.

Another view. Pray about it and ask God to show you it in the "Whole council of God".

Old 04-04-2012, 01:31 PM

120 posts, read 119,447 times
when we begin to search our hearts..we see what is in it.. we begin to put the light on the darkness that

lives there.. belief and conditions that we we taught by a system created to keep us in a box.. created

to control us through our minds.. and make us behave and act in a conditioned way, wehn we begins to open our eyes to the fact that life is more than jsut

the way of the world and its suffering... we begin to see that our thougths and actions contribute to the

suffering of the world and we were conditioned this way.. when we Awake to this truth that we are not

these conditions that they set for us.. we begin to thirst for the Truth that is who we are.. Pureness,

goodness, love. the old ways die off as we cant bare to carry them with us.. they melt away, we

change.. its not merely a thougth of saying forgive me.. its an action and a truth that set us free from the old ways.. that we we raised to beleive

As the layers are peeled away and the truth can live through us and we return to the original state of

purness unaffected but the limited conditions that make us think and act a certain way, usually out of greed, competiton, fear, lack , jealous ( and all things that make us feel horrible- and trapped)

When we learn who we really are from the begiining.. we are free to be who we are Naturally. efforlessly.

some people call it religon or spirituallity, But the truth is that we are already That which we search for . we jsut have to uncover ourselves with all the layers and baggage that we carry around( conditioned and learned ways which are unnatrual to us.. thats why we feel the struggle)

The whole world is conditioned this way.. thus the amount of struggle and suffering..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity