Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 06:37 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times

Advertisements

Does it seem that all Catholics subscribe to "cafeteria Catholicism?" That is, that practitioners don't accept 100% of the Catholic doctrine. My answer is YES.

First, many Catholics don't practice natural birth control. They won't discuss this, but attend Mass and take the sacraments. On abortion, clearly most Catholics are against it, but most Catholics are not against abortion when the pregnancy is caused against a woman's will...i.e rape, incest (despite the fact that this is rare). The church also reaches out to those suffering the pain and guilt stemming from abortion through a ministry called "Rachel's Vineyard." I also think that many Catholics who are engaged may actually have sex prior to the wedding date. I haven't taken a poll but since most of these people experimented in HS and college, this shouldn't be surprising...in ANY denomination. But this isn't just the Catholics, I think that many Protestants don't fully adhere to what is prescribed, as well as those who claim other religious beliefs.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:47 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Does it seem that all Catholics subscribe to "cafeteria Catholicism?" That is, that practitioners don't accept 100% of the Catholic doctrine. My answer is YES.

First, many Catholics don't practice natural birth control. They won't discuss this, but attend Mass and take the sacraments. On abortion, clearly most Catholics are against it, but most Catholics are not against abortion when the pregnancy is caused against a woman's will...i.e rape, incest (despite the fact that this is rare). The church also reaches out to those suffering the pain and guilt stemming from abortion through a ministry called "Rachel's Vineyard." I also think that many Catholics who are engaged may actually have sex prior to the wedding date. I haven't taken a poll but since most of these people experimented in HS and college, this shouldn't be surprising...in ANY denomination. But this isn't just the Catholics, I think that many Protestants don't fully adhere to what is prescribed, as well as those who claim other religious beliefs.
The more accurate statement is that a large majority of AMERICAN Catholics are "cafeteria Catholics".

It's just the American Way to be free thinkers and want to decide on issues of faith within your own conscience.

Catholics in the rest of the world are much more conservative and tend to toe the line on all rules and laws of the church.

I feel certain American Catholics are a thorn in the side of the Vatican.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Catholics in the rest of the world are much more conservative and tend to toe the line on all rules and laws of the church.

I feel certain American Catholics are a thorn in the side of the Vatican.
Maybe in some countries. I would venture to say some of the poorer ones. In the two more historically Catholic strongholds, Italy and Spain, the adherence to Catholic tenets, and even church attendance, is less than what it is in the United States and Canada.

I stand corrected. I meant to say MOST instead of ALL.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:55 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,730,291 times
Quote:

You are probably correct to most Catholics.
In that sense the doctrine of the pope's infallibility is under question, and many Catholic's use common sense to ""pick and choose"", as to what they adhere to.
Although Christian Apologetics do not regard Catholics as true Christians, most do not follow a chain of command like some other cult-like movements -who dare not even question their church's hierchy or publications (publications which often have no author).
As you have stated yourself, this is a notable feature of mainstream and orthodox religions - such as Catholics, Protestants and Orthodox groups.
That does not mean they are not Christian or a member of their church.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:22 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
I don't remember the last time I went to confession.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I don't remember the last time I went to confession.
Ha! I usually go to confession to a parish different from mine.

What's amazing is how different confessions and reconciliations can be? One time, while visiting the Vatican, my confession's "penance" was to go to a Cursillo. So, when I get back to the US, I looked these up. The distance and cost was a hassle. The next time I went to confession, I told the priest about this "unfinished business" and he changed my "penance" to something more practicable.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:10 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Ha! I usually go to confession to a parish different from mine.

What's amazing is how different confessions and reconciliations can be? One time, while visiting the Vatican, my confession's "penance" was to go to a Cursillo. So, when I get back to the US, I looked these up. The distance and cost was a hassle. The next time I went to confession, I told the priest about this "unfinished business" and he changed my "penance" to something more practicable.
I'm just curious about how either "penance" related to your confessed sin. Did they? If they didn't, why not? I guess maybe I just don't understand the reasoning behind penance. It would seem to me that the "unfinished business" would be the failure to repent of the sin -- period.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:36 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,270,698 times
Thread closed pending moderator consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity