Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:04 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,390,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
I find it interesting that some mainline denominations like the Lutherans will put the word "evangelical" in front of their church name. If we are teaching that Christ died for our sins, there is only one way to heaven and that is through salvation given by God through Jesus Christ, then that is what an evangelical church believes.

I'm not sure why there is a need to put the word evangelical in front of the name except maybe it tells the public they are more conservative than other Lutheran churches.
From Wiki:

The term evangelical has its etymological roots in the Greek word for "gospel" or "good news": ευαγγελιον (evangelion), from eu- "good" and angelion "message". In that sense, to be evangelical would mean to be a believer in the gospel, that is the message of Jesus Christ.
By the English Middle Ages the term had been expanded to include not only the message, but also the New Testament which contained the message, as well as more specifically the four books of the Bible in which the life, death and resurrection of Jesus are portrayed.[3] The first published use of the term "evangelical" in English was in 1531 by William Tyndale, who wrote "He exhorteth them to proceed constantly in the evangelical truth."[4] One year later, the earliest recorded use in reference to a theological distinction was by Sir Thomas More, who spoke of "Tyndale [and] his evangelical brother Barns".[4]
By the time of the Protestant Reformation, Protestant theologians began to embrace the term evangelical as referring to "gospel truth". Martin Luther [who the "Lutheran" church is named after] referred to the evangelische Kirche or evangelical church to distinguish Protestants from Catholics in the Roman Catholic Church.[5][6] In Germany, Switzerland and Denmark, and especially among Lutherans, the term has continued to be used in a broad sense.[7] This can be seen in the names of certain Lutheran denominations or national organizations, such as the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, and the Evangelical Church in Germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 06:25 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
As a Catholic "Once Saved, Always Saved" is not us. Traditionally Catholics, even those who went through Confirmation, were taught we can end up in Hell if we die in a state of unrepentant mortal sin. Some Catholics are leaning toward Universalism of late, but I don't think that's the same thing as "Once Saved, Always Saved."

You might be confusing it with how Catholics say "Once Catholic, Always Catholic." To be honest I didn't really believe that phrase as a kid, but I gather it is the teaching. Here's something on it.

Once a Catholic always a Catholic - Catholic Diocese of Salina

Unless "Once Saved, Always Saved" means something different than I think the two ideas are different. (Some sites I find say Baptists don't believe "Once Saved, Always Saved" and that few churches really do. That what they believe is "The Perseverance of the Saints", but even that is not like Catholic teaching. Catholics, even bishops and theologians, do not inevitably become saintly people or never fall. Catholics struggle a good deal)
Some "evangelical Baptists" hold to this theology. The church I was raised in, though Baptist, shares many theological similarities with the catholic church. With the exception of prayers to saints and to Mary, we are very similar. That said, I am undecided on the issue of "once saved, always saved." These days I am leaning more towards it being true but I am not completely sure on that. I do think many evangelicals highly misunderstand Catholicism and it makes me cringe when they say Catholics aren't Christians.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:55 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
Drawing a direct parallel between Baptists and Evangelicals ... is like drawing a parallel between Bankers and people who wear ties.

Some Christians are 'Evangelicals,' but, not all classified as "evangelicals" are Christians
(frankly, some whom people categorize as evangelicals are not even evangelicals)
.... Just like all true disciples of Christ are Christians, but, not all "christians" are disciples of Christ.

Similarly, some Christians are Baptists, but, not all Baptists (or other denomination) are Christians.

Many Baptist churches aggressively promote the spread of the Gospel and leading people to Christ (which is an 'Evangelical' thing to do). But, not all people who attend (how often?) Baptist churches, are even Baptists, much less, committed to the 'evangelical principles' of the Baptist church heiarchy.

The bottom line is that 'labels' most often tend to distort the truth, rather than define it.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:28 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The bottom line is that 'labels' most often tend to distort the truth, rather than define it.
Nice quote.

"Few have been branded; a mark made by burning or otherwise."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity