Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 06:54 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,840 times

Advertisements

I understand that there are Bible verses that to many (if not most) can be interpreted that homosexual behavior is a sin. That's not what I'm asking. What I'm asking is why many Christians treat gay people with complete disdain, as if they are terrible, worthless people.

We're all sinners and all deserving of eternal punishment, being saved by God's grace. Some may say that homosexuals are living a lifestyle that is opposed to God, but in reality, we all are. We accept and are proud of malice, deceit, envy, jealousy, and a whole host of sins. We all make loopholes and excuses to act in opposition to God. Our sinful nature is so deeply engrained in us that there's no way to escape it except by Jesus' sacrifice for our sins.

So, when some Christians treat gay people with disdain, they are living in opposition to God's will, making excuses that "sinful, vile people don't deserve our love." God IS love. We're commanded to love our neighbor as ourselves. Gay people need God for the same brokenness in their lives as we do in ours.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:25 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
For the simple reason whatever is considered sin they/we are obsessed about it.

You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on you( and not on the perceived error of our brother)because he trusts in you.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:58 PM

459 posts, read 724,241 times
You know, I'm not sure.

I guess because homosexuality is way more sinful than just living your life in a "normal" way. AT least according to them.
Personally, I don't see why, unless you're shoving it down our throats, we should go out of our way to hate gays.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:59 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,782,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
I understand that there are Bible verses that to many (if not most) can be interpreted that homosexual behavior is a sin. That's not what I'm asking. What I'm asking is why many Christians treat gay people with complete disdain, as if they are terrible, worthless people.

We're all sinners and all deserving of eternal punishment, being saved by God's grace. Some may say that homosexuals are living a lifestyle that is opposed to God, but in reality, we all are. We accept and are proud of malice, deceit, envy, jealousy, and a whole host of sins. We all make loopholes and excuses to act in opposition to God. Our sinful nature is so deeply engrained in us that there's no way to escape it except by Jesus' sacrifice for our sins.

So, when some Christians treat gay people with disdain, they are living in opposition to God's will, making excuses that "sinful, vile people don't deserve our love." God IS love. We're commanded to love our neighbor as ourselves. Gay people need God for the same brokenness in their lives as we do in ours.
Probably because many of them are closeted homosexuals themselves and they are projecting. Those that aren't just use it as an easy scapegoat, since it's a sin they can never be faced with. So while they are busy buying material possessions, having an affair on their wife, filing for divorce, eating like pigs, they can view themselves as holier than though, because at least they aren't gay.
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-23-2012 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 04-22-2012, 09:24 PM

8,181 posts, read 6,933,064 times
People like to make themselves feel safer by picking on others. It is bullying behavior and it is what insecure or fearful people do. So if they believe that homosexuality is a "sin", and they are heterosexual, then it's the "sin" that they will shine a spotlight on. In doing so, they think they are keeping the spotlight off of their own "sins" they know they commit, which may include: greed, lust, jealousy, hatred, lying, stealing, etc.

It's a terribly non-loving thing to do.
And non-love is on the wide road to destruction.
(The non-love within each of us is being destroyed.)

Old 04-22-2012, 10:55 PM

45,591 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
What I'm asking is why many Christians treat gay people with complete disdain, as if they are terrible, worthless people.
In theory, you are correct. Sin is sin. All sins miss the mark.

However, there are different degrees of sin. Murder is obviously more serious than jealousy. Adultery is more serious than a lustful thought kept to oneself. The act of adultery has consequences that won't occur with a mere thought.

With homosexuality, God attaches certain descriptors to it - abomination, defiled, detestable. You don't have these descriptors with lying, stealing, etc. So there is something different about homosexuality. In fact, homosexuality is part of a host of sexual sins in Lev. 18:6-30 that corrupt or defile the land.

So I don't think the "disdain" held by many Christians is totally off base, because the sin may warrant that disdain. But at the same time, gay people do need to have believers as friends through which they can be saved. In other words, we need to get over the disdain and minister to homosexuals.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
the only distain i see on CDF is angry militant gays hating on christians.
jerry falwell this time is wearing pink.
the material might be different but the style of the sermon is the same.
thou holy righteous one of castro st.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:16 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,384,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Probably because many of them are closeted homosexuals themselves and they are projecting.
A lot of people think this, and there could very well be some validity to it.

I've met some really neurotic guys who have to repeatedly tell people that they're married, that they have this many kids, and they are active members of their churches. My attitude is that it takes 2 to 10 minutes of acrobatics to make a kid, and their self righteousness is not convincing in some cases.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:22 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
[mod]cut[/mod

There ar many many threads about homosexuality in this forum..Please use the search engine..This one is closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity