Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:49 PM

27,598 posts, read 28,706,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinieRN View Post
No not really (answering your initial post). I've found a healthy balance between the two and I don't just accept things because they're been proposed by science, or some priest or pastor who got their training from a school. For me, I see a deeper meaning to the Bible that registers in my heart and so I don't stress about the history, timeline, archaeological findings, indoctrination and dogma. I love the book the Alchemist and it connects to my journey. I know it's a fictional book, but it doesn't discredit the information I've found in there that connects to my life. Much of it still does apply.
Is that the novel by Paulo Coelho?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 10:57 PM

889 posts, read 826,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'm wondering whether, as a Christian, you have sensed an uneasiness between your faith in Christ, God or the Bible and what modern science has discovered. And if so, how did you reconcile this in your mind?

Feel free to discuss any specifics that you like.
No. Both seeking truth. One how, one why. They can live in perfect harmony.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:00 PM

459 posts, read 724,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Not at all. Science confirms there must have been a creator.
This. Thanks for saying exactly what was on my mind.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:05 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,635,954 times
Short answer: yeah...uh, NO!

I am open to listening to theories as theories but don't try and sell me Jack's bean stalk beans as FACTS. There is a difference.

Don't try and tell me what to think, I can think for myself (thank you, very much). Wow, I can even come to my own conclusions and I can even use reason, OMGoodness!

It is offensive when "theories" are sold as facts. I are not stupid. (j/k) I am not stupid. I can think for myself given the opportunity and not spoon fed "crap."

...and don't get me started on debating!!! (LOL)

Old 05-04-2012, 06:43 PM

27,598 posts, read 28,706,672 times
If science ever discovered that it's very unlikely there's an afterlife or that a human could be resurrected from the dead, how would you react to such findings?

Would it make you reconsider your beliefs?

Old 05-04-2012, 07:22 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,641,367 times
Quote:
If science ever discovered that it's very unlikely there's an afterlife or that a human could be resurrected from the dead, how would you react to such findings?

Would it make you reconsider your beliefs?
It's kind of a silly question because an observation that it's "unlikely not an afterlife" falls outside of science. The closest we get is testimonies of people claiming that their is an afterlife.

I guess we get to find out after we pass on. In the end, all belief constructs are taken on faith. As pointed out, Atheism requires greater faith than believing in a supreme intelligent Creator which we all will be accountable to for the lives we've been given.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:44 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,633,056 times
Quote:
I'm wondering whether, as a Christian, you have sensed an uneasiness between your faith in Christ, God or the Bible and what modern science has discovered. And if so, how did you reconcile this in your mind?

Feel free to discuss any specifics that you like.
I've never once felt any conflict between my beliefs and science. I trust in God. I do not trust in man. Everything we have today, from technology to medical advancement, God has had in his kingdom forever. Nothing is new under the sun. But there's alot of Christians that feel like science has more evidence and proof than what God has done. Which is fine for them but our beliefs are based on faith. Not by sight. So there's really nothing left to say about that. I mean, do what you do.

I personally believe what Jesus did for me on the cross and it's not something I will ever take lightly or forget. For someone to care that much about me that he sacrificed his life for me and my sins so I could be saved, I mean wow. Even if he knew that I was the only one on planet Earth that was going to be saved, he still would have done it. That's total and absolute love. Pure love. I could never reject him or his promise after that. Not for anything in the world.

When it all comes down to it, I think it's all about faith. It's not about who's right or wrong. If you want to make God wrong and science right, then by all means, feel that way. But when your on your deathbed, things come into perspective and you realize that none of that stuff mattered. You are face-to-face with death and you need a God to save you and forgive you for your sins because there is 1 place you are going that every human being on planet Earth has gone. Heaven or Hell. They are both ancient places and eternal destinations of every human that has ever lived. You need Jesus to forgive you for your sins and ransom you from that awful place called Hell so you can go to Heaven. And that is what it comes down to. People get so caught up in the politics of denominations and things like that. That stuff does not matter. All that matters is you accepting Christ as your savior and repenting and trying to live like him while on this Earth. Science is great. But what was it all worth if you only trusted in man only to suddenly die one day with no God to ransom you from Hell? It's not worth your soul or an eternity in Hell.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:28 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,761,076 times
Again the Hellthreat. Isn't it remarkable how in the end, threatening the doubter with eternal torture is the only real shot in the Theist locker.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:08 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,726,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Again the Hellthreat. Isn't it remarkable how in the end, threatening the doubter with eternal torture is the only real shot in the Theist locker.
RESPONSE:

I suppose that if one has no creditable evidence to present, that's all that's left.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:56 PM

63,864 posts, read 40,149,593 times
Default Christianity > Have you ever felt a conflict between your Christian beliefs and scientific evidence?

No . . . not at all because I arrived at them by my explorations of science that were prompted by my experience of the reality of God in deep meditation. I then broadened my explorations to the "spiritual fossil record" . . . all legends, myths, scriptures, etc. involved in speculations about God. After discovering a "spiritual template" (Spiritual DNA) underlying these disparate conceptions . . . I was eventually led to Christ as the perfect manifestation of that template.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity