Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:01 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering whether, as a Christian, you have sensed an uneasiness between your faith in Christ, God or the Bible and what modern science has discovered. And if so, how did you reconcile this in your mind?

Feel free to discuss any specifics that you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 11:29 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,637,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'm wondering whether, as a Christian, you have sensed an uneasiness between your faith in Christ, God or the Bible and what modern science has discovered. And if so, how did you reconcile this in your mind?

Prior to my conversion, I was under the popular presupposition that somehow Science contradicts what the Bible says. With everything there are two sides. With Science, you have people observing things and making conclusions. The conclusions, even if popular, can and often are wrong.

What one would expect from an omnipotent, omnipresent Creator would be that Science authenticates his existence. We would expect uniformity of laws in nature and even constants. With evolution theology, we would expect randomness in and ever changing environment. So how do they explain Planks constant which is deals with both space and time continuum?

There's actually a whole lot they can't explain. Go to your physics professor in any university and ask them to tell you why light exists as both a wave and a particle. They know it does because that is what they observe, but they have NO clue as to WHY.

What about irreducible complexity? Evolution theologians attempt to skirmish around it, but the facts stand for itself. No rationale person would conclude that a Car can run with only three wheels. Even any child could reason that it needs all four. The common example is a mouse trap - needs five pieces that all must work. 4/5 of a mousetrap doesn't make it work 4/5 as good. It won't work at all.

One Evolution Evangelist attempted to explain it by grasping a mousetrap without the spring. He held it down with his hand and said something to the equivalent of "see it works". It should have been embarrassing. All he proved is that he needed a hand, fingers, tendons, etc to produce the force required.

And they call this Science? It's called speculation. It may be good for the science fiction novels but not good for the elementary textbooks.

Science confirms the existence of God.

Missler - What Is Truth - YouTube

Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
I've learned over the years that science like medicine is hardly an exact science. IT has made many mistakes in the past. It is subject to its own prejudices. Scientists will change their research to get funding for more biased research. After all, without money they'd have to get real jobs.

For example, the current "Global Warming" scare although promoted by many scientists, is full of holes. Much of this "science" has been proven to be outright lies and distortions.

2. I have a book that documents many of the prejudices in Archeology. The author bodly proclaims that half of all finds are ignored, because many do not fit their established "science". In this book, he clearly documents archeological finds that have simply been ignored. A gold chain found in a coal bed being mined?

3. Science has for centuries made massive mistakes. Just look at many past medical treatments that have since been thankfully stopped. My own studies in the field of Psychology have proven to me that most Psychologists don't have a clue.

So the bottom line is, I don't put much credence in modern "science". After all, now they think aliens long ago came to earth. Talk about far fetched ideas.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:54 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,239,401 times

No.I never have, and I read aot of controversial "studies"...But, I am grounded in my belief.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:13 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,132,202 times
Yes, when I believed in a young earth creation (ie. 6000years). I no longer believe the earth is "young".

Old 05-02-2012, 03:40 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,253,141 times
I had a public high school biology teacher in St. Louis, MO, who was very uncomfortable with being forced to teach evolution, so just before the bell rang, she would call out, "But without G-d was not anything made that was made." I appreciated her for continuing to stand for what she believed.

For myself, I am not very scientific, so when something does not ring right, I research it a little to see why. Bottom line, I am not a person who has extreme faith, so it is much easier for me to have faith that G-d created than to conjur up enough faith to believe that it all happened by accident, by some explosion, by chemical ignition, or any such thing.

When I see a bumble bee up close, I am reminded that today's teaching of evolution makes no sense. When I see the intricacy of a flower or some microscopic particle, no way can I believe it all just happened. Oh, well.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:01 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
I had a public high school biology teacher in St. Louis, MO, who was very uncomfortable with being forced to teach evolution, so just before the bell rang, she would call out, "But without G-d was not anything made that was made." I appreciated her for continuing to stand for what she believed.
A courageous lady. I hope God has blessed her mightily.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:14 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Why do people consistently try to compare creation with evolution?

We all know that without creation, there would be no evolution.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:26 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'm wondering whether, as a Christian, you have sensed an uneasiness between your faith in Christ, God or the Bible and what modern science has discovered. ...
I do not sense any 'uneasiness' in my Faith.

I rather enjoy keeping up on science, as most often I see that it supports my Fundamentalist beliefs.

A few years ago I got a subscription to BAR [Biblical Archaeological Review]. It has articles about each of the current dig sites and their findings. Many of the specific minor characters in Bible stories have been documented to have existed from various things that have been discovered. While not documenting the 'miracles' of the Bible, Archaeology does support the existence of many of the peoples, places, migrations and battles.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:48 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,724,719 times
Mark 4:30–32Another parable He put forth to them, saying: The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and sowed in his field, which indeed is (1)the least of all the seeds; but when it is grown it is greater than the herbs and (2)becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and nest in its branches.”

Problems:

1. The mustard seed is hardly "the least of all seeds.."

2. The mustard plant is a bush never a tree. As such, it's branchs would support many if any birds with their nests.

(Mark (or Jesus) has to brush up on their botany!)

Last edited by ancient warrior; 05-02-2012 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: brackets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity