Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 11:47 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,721,905 times

Advertisements

In discussing how God speaks to us, how would you answer these two questions?
  • Do you think you would pay more attention if God spoke to you from heaven or through the voice of a living prophet than if he spoke to you from the written words of Scripture?
  • Would you believe or obey such words more readily than you do Scripture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 12:31 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times
Is this a "trick" question, Hoosier? LOL! Well, I would say that while I do believe in contemporary living prophets and God could speak from the sky, I think the Bible is the "more sure word of prophecy" although the other two forms of communication would be impressive! Personal prophecy, in particular, needs to be judged by the Word to see if it lines up with the word and I guess, I would say that "words from the sky" do too. The other two might seem more personally applicable to be sure though!

Old 09-21-2007, 12:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
  • Do you think you would pay more attention if God spoke to you from heaven or through the voice of a living prophet than if he spoke to you from the written words of Scripture?
the voice. he has done it twice. it was a quiet still voice very direct giving me simple instructions. which i immediately did, small stuff really but, resolved a lot of problems.
1st time it happens scared me really bad.
stephen s
san diego

Old 09-21-2007, 01:01 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,721,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Is this a "trick" question, Hoosier? LOL! Well, I would say that while I do believe in contemporary living prophets and God could speak from the sky, I think the Bible is the "more sure word of prophecy" although the other two forms of communication would be impressive! Personal prophecy, in particular, needs to be judged by the Word to see if it lines up with the word and I guess, I would say that "words from the sky" do too. The other two might seem more personally applicable to be sure though!
Nope, not a trick. I'm taking a systematic theology course and found this specific very interesting.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:02 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,072,460 times
I would think I would have to take heart his actual "words" aimed directly at me rather than his "words" written in text.

If he did speak to me I'd probably have to change my pants..

Old 09-21-2007, 01:03 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,578,987 times
Quote:
I believe the written word of scripture equates to our Heavenly Father and I have total faith in scripture and the Love of the Lord in my heart. God already has my full attention and speaks to me through the Bible,along with the inspired words of the prophets,which are also God's words.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:06 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Quote:
***First I need to say what my belief system supports. I believe there are no more "prophets". I believe there are prophets, and they will return, but there are no more... with the Apostle Paul being the last. With that said... and not wanting to steal the thread... I do believe in prophecy which many of the saints (believers) still do.

Yes... I would pay more attention to "audible" instructions from God. However God speaks to us "mostly" when we are called into service... His service. God allows our "ear piece" to be magnified by our faith, and the Bible tells us faith comes by hearing the word. We must pay attention for subtle instruction, which the believer hones by staying in the word... you can not hear what you do not know. (OK.. Dave get off the soap box)

Obedience again comes from knowing the difference between presumption and faith. If you know God's word you'll recognize His voice... audibly or not. His word is consistent and persistent... and will never contradict Himself.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:08 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Default good one......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I would think I would have to take heart his actual "words" aimed directly at me rather than his "words" written in text.

If he did speak to me I'd probably have to change my pants..
Too funny...... yeah me too!!

Old 09-21-2007, 01:41 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
If I thought I heard the voice of God speaking to me, I would be very afraid...Afraid that I was having a "senior moment"..Or afraid I was "schitzo"

Old 09-21-2007, 02:35 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
Quote:
Answer to the first question:no, God speaks just as powerfully today through His written word like He did years ago though an audible voice and prophets.
Answer to second question: no, I have no trouble believing God's word is true. I trust it and with the help of Jesus I obey it the best I can.

Last edited by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA; 09-21-2007 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: left out IMPORTANT word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity