Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2007, 11:00 AM

436 posts, read 1,174,604 times

Advertisements

Me again guys. Who wants to take a walk down memory lane with me? a chat on some of the great men and women of God, reflections on how God used them. It may be the local pastor whom God used to change your life forever, or a youth pastor who brought meaning to your existance. it may be men or women who have allowed God to use them to shake many nations. Tell us about them, or just refresh our memories on those we know - that God once did this and that through that person. what lessons can we learn from their experience, and we can take to our future. I dont know if this going to work, but I am needing to reminde myself of the glorious hope he has given us, and the greatness of the hand of God .... lest I, or we, forget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 10:58 PM

264 posts, read 829,876 times
The greatest woman of God that I've ever known was my Great-grandmother, although I doubt that she would have called herself that. She was the only Christian influence I had growing up and I seriously doubt that I would have ever accepted the Lord Jesus if it hadn't been for the seeds she planted into me. She knew the Bible chapter and verse but more than that, she knew how to live it. There were many times she put herself in harm's way, taking the abuse that was meant for me, to keep me safe.

My fondest memory of her is spending the night at her house way out in the country one night. With the window open letting in the warm summer breeze, I laid there beside her in bed gazing up at the stars and listening to the crickets sing as she taught me the Lord's Prayer. I was 5 years old and I still remember it like it was yesterday.

I miss her...a lot...but I know that I will see her again someday.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:27 PM

265 posts, read 615,649 times
[quote=Timothylogan3;1585337]Me again guys. Who wants to take a walk down memory lane with me? a chat on some of the great men and women of God, reflections on how God used them. It may be the local pastor whom God used to change your life forever, or a youth pastor who brought meaning to your existance. it may be men or women who have allowed God to use them to shake many nations. Tell us about them, or just refresh our memories on those we know - that God once did this and that through that person. what lessons can we learn from their experience, and we can take to our future. I dont know if this going to work, but I am needing to reminde myself of the glorious hope he has given us, and the greatness of the hand of God .... lest I, or we, forget.[/quote]

my dad was the first person I ever saw up close who really loved God. I would lay awake at night and listen from my room how he would pray and cry in prayer. I couldn't understand most of what he said but his emotions was clear to me. whenever my father would pressurerise the name of Jesus out in prayer I was always pulled into an inside track about God's realness that I could only experience, but not ever speak on. some how God sealed my experiences by not eventing words to tell them with.

{shaking my head}.....my father's prayer life had divine soul persuasion that always led to heart conversion for me. my father prayed enough to have given God all of my heart many times over as a child. I was too young to really understand most anything about God, but it was my father's prayer life that brought God to me when I could understand nothing but my daddy saying JESUS.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:36 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,388,870 times
Many, many people at my first church lived out their love for Christ in so many ways. As a teen, I was blessed to have many serve me by going out of their way to provide transportation for me to go to services and a myriad of events. Many adults worked with the teens long after their own children were grown; younger adults did the same even before they had children. I was invited out to lunch most every Sunday, and teen events were hosted in people's homes more times than I can count. We were given opportunities to have fun, learn, and participate in church events. The adults tried to keep things interesting, plus they attempted to expose us to situations that would challenge our thinking and broaden our horizons. (My high school classmates were envious of all the opportunities I had!) Teens were mostly considered equals, and we were expected to help out. I was discipled, trained, and given opportunities to lead. I was encouraged in my day-to-day life as well as my spirituality. Most importantly, I was LOVED!

Age segregation and cliques were not apparent in that church, even though there were separate Sunday School classes and events according to age. There was almost always some adult chatting with the youth and showing genuine interest in what we were doing. Last year, I got a call out of the blue from one dear woman whom I haven't seen in over 20 years. She was extremely excited to be talking to me, and she remembered things as though they occurred yesterday. She was still full of enthusiasm for who I am and the things I'm doing. Others have been the same. Whenever I think of Christian "family," that early family is my example. I've only been to one church since then that even came close. I was truly blessed by that early body of believers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity