Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2007, 08:46 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON - Sen. John McCain said in an interview published Saturday that he would prefer a Christian president over someone of a different faith, calling it "an important part of our qualifications to lead."

In an interview with Beliefnet, a multi-denominational Web site that covers religion and spirituality, the Republican presidential hopeful was asked if a Muslim candidate could be a good president.

"I just have to say in all candor that since this nation was founded primarily on Christian principles ... personally, I prefer someone who I know who has a solid grounding in my faith," McCain said. "But that doesn't mean that I'm sure that someone who is Muslim would not make a good president."

Upgrade Browser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 08:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
WASHINGTON - Sen. John McCain said in an interview published Saturday that he would prefer a Christian president over someone of a different faith, calling it "an important part of our qualifications to lead."

Moderator cut: do not repost copyrighted articles

Upgrade Browser
what a novel idea, a muslim president. since islam is dedicated to the violent overthrow of the state which hosts it, that is a new idea for us.
elect a president who advocates the violant overthrow of the american government. interesting. i will have to give it some thought.
i think if the republicans nominate a muslim it would help the democrates a lot and they may indeed pick oboma or hillary.
the demoncrates need all the help they can get.
stephen s
san diego ca
ps its my party and i'll can cry if i want to, cry if i want to, cry if i want to
you'd cry too if it happened to you
(sing it)

Last edited by Yac; 12-13-2007 at 04:08 AM..

Old 09-30-2007, 09:52 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Bunky, that's funny! I totally agree with McCain. My vote will hopefully ALWAYS go to a Christian candidate. Muslims may be fine leaders and as long as they're ruling the Arab countries, it's fine. I also chose to stick with Christian leaders since our country and our original culture was based on Christianity and Spirituality. Of course, there are times we question the sincerity of SOME of our leaders.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:06 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
You know what's sad? The fact that this is a news story. IT's almost as if it's controversial to say that you prefer a Christian President.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:58 PM

520 posts, read 1,853,726 times
I think its sad that you guys will automatically discount a candidate because they are of a different religion than you. Thats a little narrow minded. Personally, I'd prefer to not know the faith of any of the candidates.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:45 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post
I think its sad that you guys will automatically discount a candidate because they are of a different religion than you. Thats a little narrow minded. Personally, I'd prefer to not know the faith of any of the candidates.
Then we probably would not have gotten the Bill of Rights, constitution, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity