Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 11:35 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times

Advertisements

I do not like when a Pastor interjects his personal political opinion... which is something our Pastor has been doing regularly. He will go out of his way to bring up a current politicial issue in a sermon, even though the sermon is not at all based on the morals of the issue he brings up. It would be different if he was teaching the moral position behind the issue.

As for Jesus, since when was he not political? Faith and politics were very much intertwined during his earthly life! Both for the Jews and the Romans. Jesus' earthly ministry was very much an attack and threat to the established political control of the Romans, and the class system of society in general. The Romans did not go out of their way to crucify a commoner for no reason. Jesus was seen as being very politically dangerous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 11:46 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post

Vote your values and be blessed or cursed for those values and remember "The world hated Me before they hated you" Jesus did have a political stance and they murdered Him for it.
Christ did not try to challenge or overthrow the Roman government that was in power at that time. His mission was to fulfill the Levitical law and establish the New Covenant and the Pharasee's had him crucified for it as had been prophesied. They expected an earthly king but His kingdom was not of this world.

I don't think you can vote for a particular political party and be voting entirely for Christian values. You can vote against homosexuality and abortion, but what else are you voting for when you vote Republican? Same with the Democrats...minus homosexuality and abortion, does their social entitlement programs really look like what Christ would want?

Old 08-07-2012, 12:17 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
We have to have a moral standard and the current secular one is decaying at a rapid rate. No a Church should not dictate who to vote for or support but yes they should encourage and educate congregations on moral values and encourage congragations to support those who most share their moral values. Let's see what is against God and what supports God....

Gay marriage
Abortion
Gun Control
Illegal Imigration
Economic issues
Wars
and the list goes on and on....

Vote your values and be blessed or cursed for those values and remember "The world hated Me before they hated you" Jesus did have a political stance and they murdered Him for it.
You are dead wrong. Jesus gave us His mission, He yold us to go and to "Preach the gospel" to all nations. How much did the Lord preach about the secular and exceedingly evil government of His day??
Nothing at all, nada, zero.

How much good does it do for people to live in a very very law abiding society with high moral standards if they are not believers?? It does no good in the least. In fact the very fact of living in such a "GOOD" culture might cuse people to think, I don't need God. I'm alright, I'm good. etc.

Jesus did not have a political stance and it's blasphemy to say He did. He had a Kingdom stance and was not concerned about secular worldly politics. They are all equally evil systems in the sight of a Holy God.

They hated Jesus because He said, "I am the way the truth and the life, NO ONE comes to God but through ME."

Old 08-07-2012, 12:29 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
politics should be kept out of the pulpit. I really dont care who is president, It is not like there is truth coming from their lips. too many christians follow politics more than they follow biblical teachings.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:46 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
You are dead wrong. Jesus gave us His mission, He yold us to go and to "Preach the gospel" to all nations. How much did the Lord preach about the secular and exceedingly evil government of His day??

How much good does it do for people to live in a very very law abiding society with high moral standards if they are not believers?? It does no good in the least. In fact the very fact of living in such a "GOOD" culture might cuse people to think, I don't need God. I'm alright, I'm good. etc.

Jesus did not have a political stance and it's blasphemy to say He did. He had a Kingdom stance and was not concerned about secular worldly politics. They are all equally evil systems in the sight of a Holy God.

They hated Jesus because He said, "I am the way the truth and the life, NO ONE comes to God but through ME."
You might want to read the Bible a little more, He obviously had a political stance. You see Jesus focused on the Pharasees and Sadducees on one end and the prostitues and theives on another. There is more to Jesus' mission than just the Gospel. But you have some very good points otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
politics should be kept out of the pulpit. I really dont care who is president, It is not like there is truth coming from their lips. too many christians follow politics more than they follow biblical teachings.
Good points yet Christian make up a vast majority of voters so politics in the pulpit comes with the territory.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
His focus on the Pharasees ans Sadduccees was not political but religous. Those two groups were the religous leaders and they were misrepresenting every single thing about God and His word.

The prostitutes and thieves were just an example of sinful humanity in need of forgivness. They demonstrate the complete inclusiveness of the gospel.

There is NO political stance to the gospel in any way shape or form. In the Kingdom of God there are only two camps. The believers and the unbelievers. The unbelievers need the gospel, period. They don't need a particular political system in the least. Do you honestly believe that God approves of one secular system over another? The Kingdom of God is not of this world or of any of it's systems. Christ reigns in God's Kingdom and he reigns in the hearts of His people.
Read the Bible they were more than religous they had political leanings which Jesus addressed and Jesus did not just focus on the Gospel.

Yes I believe God approves of one secular system over another.

And the hearts of people get tempted by secular reasoning.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:33 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Read the Bible they were more than religous they had political leanings which Jesus addressed and Jesus did not just focus on the Gospel.

Yes I believe God approves of one secular system over another.

And the hearts of people get tempted by secular reasoning.
Ok, then let see your scriptual proofs for your statements. I say they do not exist in any stretch of any text!!!!

Give us examples of Jesus addressing their political leanings. I'm calling you out on this because I think it's a very important issue. Also I say they don't exist except in your imagination.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:51 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
For a practical, real world example of why churches just should NOT get involved in politics, look at what happened to the Catholic Church in Quebec and Spain after too many years of playing big brother in politics and aligning themselves with political movements. Eventually, the tide turns on a political movement, and if you've conflated your Church with a political party to the point where they view as essentially one in the same the tide turns on you to and you'll never get those people back. Franco and Duplessis, the leaders with whom the Church got mixed up, are remembered only by the old ones now, but the Church never recovered from the blow in these two societies.

Of course, the opposite phenomenon took place in Poland as the Church became a symbol of anti-communist insurrection, but I'm just saying it's a very dangerous game to play and it can go terribly wrong. Churches would be wise to be very wary of getting involved with politics lest their congregants turn on them and find new ways to worship.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:49 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,910 times
Quote:

That's not all true. Jesus denounced Herod for being a fox. Herod [same one?] was later eaten by worms in public because he was so wicked.
ACTS 12:21-23 "And upon a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat upon his throne, and made an oration unto them. And the people gave a shout, saying, It is the voice of a god, and not of a man. And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost. But the word of God grew and multiplied."

He had John the Babtist to tell the soldiers of Rome to do no man violence and be content with their wages. And to those rulers who administered the Law, He had some very contemptuous words to say to them. Until Jesus came along, John was the greatest man ever born because of his courage to speak against the immoral government of his day and against all other sin.
LK 3:12-14 "Then came also publicans [tax collectors] to be baptized, and said unto him, Master, what shall we do? And he said unto them, Exact no more than that which is appointed you. And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages."

He gave salvation to one tax collector because he was willing to give back the excess of taxes taken. He told all the rulers to administer justice, proper judgement and mercy.

LK 1:52 "He has put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree."
He ordained government and distains the abuse of power and takes out whole governments for doing so.

I am against favoring which party to vote for from the pulpit but not against speaking out for the moral issues as did Jesus and all the Prophets.

Last edited by garya123; 08-07-2012 at 06:20 PM..

Old 08-07-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Ok, then let see your scriptual proofs for your statements. I say they do not exist in any stretch of any text!!!!

Give us examples of Jesus addressing their political leanings. I'm calling you out on this because I think it's a very important issue. Also I say they don't exist except in your imagination.
Pharasees and Saducees were the local political group under the Romans, Christ saw how corrupt they had become. The Temple dealt with the Romans and inforced not only their own Jewish laws but honored Roman laws. Jesus asked for a coin then asked whose face was on it then declared "Render unto Ceasar that which is Ceasars and to God that which is Gods" How do you interprit that statement? Jesus also told His followers to honor Government as they are put there by God but He also told them to honor God above all. How would you interprit that?

Now this is not my imagination, I just see more within His words and motives. He swayed political views with the simpliest of sayings such as "Go and sin no more""He who is without sin cast the first stone"" How can you see the speck in your brothers eye for the log in your own""Judge yea not least yea be judged". How would you interprit those saying? Do you not see political leanings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity