Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 06:42 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times

Advertisements

I'm only asking whether people believe in Purgatory or not, and why. I'm not looking to be convinced one way or the other. I already have my opinion. I don't expect that to change through a volley in cyberspace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 07:00 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'm only asking whether people believe in Purgatory or not, and why. I'm not looking to be convinced one way or the other. I already have my opinion. I don't expect that to change through a volley in cyberspace.
You appear to be the only one, so far.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:30 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Purgatory is real, and it is even alluded to in Christ's parable of Lazarus and the rich man. St. Paul elaborates further in I Corinthians 3:11-15: "For other foundation no man can lay, but that which is laid; which is Christ Jesus. Now if any man build upon this foundation, gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay stubble: Every man's work shall be manifest; for the day of the Lord shall declare it, because it shall be revealed in fire; and the fire shall try every man's work, of what sort it is. If any man's work abide, which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work burn, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved, yet so as by fire."

I could go on with all evidence for this in both the Bible and Tradition, but better minds than mind have already done a better job:

Mark P. Shea: Purgatory? Where's That in the Bible? (This one in particular clears up several of the misconceptions I've seen stated in this discussion.)

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Purgatory

Happy Catholic*: Purgatory 101

Old 08-07-2012, 08:39 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,592 times
Quote:
We told you no and why, with no twisting of the arm as you seem to imply. If you don't want a dialog then don't ask a question.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:53 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
YES. I do. I don't think anybody I know is worthy of being admitted directly to heaven, just like VIPs get to fly through the security screening area at the airport. Similarly, I think only the creepiest of creeps go to hell. There's a middle ground, and it's called purgatory.

So, do you believe in purgatory?
No, but I believe in something kind of similar known as the Spirit World. I don't believe anyone goes straight to Heaven (or to Hell either, for that matter), but to an intermediate realm.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:44 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
Lk 16:22 "The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried.
Lk 16:23 In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.

Mark, you better go back and read the words closely yourself. In this text, about the rich man and Lazarus. It specifically says hell. If Jesus wanted to say "purgatory", he could have easily said so, but He didn't.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:45 AM

419 posts, read 435,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
However it would be nice for a purgatory so more than half of everything that's ever lives didn't end up in the eternal lake of fire to burn for all eternity .
I get what you're saying...but ultimately, the ones that end up in that lake of fire are people that have offended an infinitely holy and just God (as did we all). The only difference between them and those of us that will go to heaven iis that Christ has given us his righteousness.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:34 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralMissionary View Post
I get what you're saying...but ultimately, the ones that end up in that lake of fire are people that have offended an infinitely holy and just God (as did we all). The only difference between them and those of us that will go to heaven iis that Christ has given us his righteousness.
yea i guess if that meant like rapist,killers,etc etc but it won't be , it will be most of everyone (unless i'm wrong about this)

Old 08-08-2012, 08:42 AM

419 posts, read 435,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
yea i guess if that meant like rapist,killers,etc etc but it won't be , it will be most of everyone (unless i'm wrong about this)
if what meant like rapist, killers, etc? You mean that we're somehow better off because we (presumably) haven't done those things?

Old 08-08-2012, 09:46 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Lk 16:22 "The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried.
Lk 16:23 In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.

Mark, you better go back and read the words closely yourself. In this text, about the rich man and Lazarus. It specifically says hell. If Jesus wanted to say "purgatory", he could have easily said so, but He didn't.
The rich man was in hell. Lazarus was NOT. But they could still see each other, and while the rich man was in a place of torment, Lazarus was not. That's Purgatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity