Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 04:10 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,963,052 times

Advertisements

The genuineness of this passage is very doubtful as it is not found in the most ancient manuscripts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 04:22 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,708 times
Just to clarify Eusebius's point, he's talking about the part where the Father, Word and Holy Spirit testify in heaven.

For example, the passage is most likely:

Quote:
6 This is the one who came by water and blood —Jesus Christ. He did not come by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth. 7 For there are three that testify: 8 the Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement.
and NOT
Quote:
6 This is the one who came by water and blood —Jesus Christ. He did not come by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth. 7 For there are three that testify in heaven: the Father, the Word and the Holy Spirit, and these three are one. 8 And there are three that testify on earth: 8 the Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement.
I wonder if in another hundred years this won't even be footnoted anymore...

Old 08-21-2012, 12:32 AM

45,541 posts, read 27,160,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
6 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth. 7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

I dont understand water and blood and the spirit, water and blood on earth.
Jesus Christ came by the water and the blood. The water, blood, and Spirit bear witness on earth that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

Water - This referes to when Jesus was baptized by John in the water (Jordan River).

Matthew 3:16-17 - After being baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove and lighting on Him, and behold, a voice out of the heavens said, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased."

There was a witness direct from God that Jesus was the Son of God when Jesus came out of the water.

Blood - Jesus was contemplating His death when the Father spoke.

John 12:27-28 - "Now My soul has become troubled; and what shall I say, `Father, save Me from this hour'? But for this purpose I came to this hour. "Father, glorify Your name." Then a voice came out of heaven: "I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again."

And when Jesus died, look at the supernatural occurences - the darkness, the earthquake, the tearing of the temple veil, the appearances of deceased saints - this led to this response.

Matthew 27:54 - Now the centurion, and those who were with him keeping guard over Jesus, when they saw the earthquake and the things that were happening, became very frightened and said, "Truly this was the Son of God!"

The blood (death of Christ) was an earthly witness that Jesus is the Son of God.

Spirit - The Holy Spirit is a witness that resides within us that Jesus is the Son of God.

John 15:26 - "When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify about Me,

Romans 8:16 - The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God,

So the water, blood, and Spirit are all earthly witnesses that Jesus Christ is indeed the Son of God.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:59 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
It stands to reason that he was born of woman, having the breath of life.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:34 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,022,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
6 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth. 7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

I dont understand water and blood and the spirit, water and blood on earth.
You mean 1 John 5:8...There is no 6 in 1 John...

Well, one needs the Spirit dwelling in them AND Baptism for remission of sins AND washing in the Blood or covered by the Blood of the Sacrifice in order to be saved (all three are needed, not just one or two of them)...The Father, The Son and the Holy Ghost being one was not in many Greek manuscipts...It is a suspected interpolation around the turn of the 4th into the 5th century...

Old 08-22-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
You mean 1 John 5:8...There is no 6 in 1 John...

Well, one needs the Spirit dwelling in them AND Baptism for remission of sins AND washing in the Blood or covered by the Blood of the Sacrifice in order to be saved (all three are needed, not just one or two of them)...The Father, The Son and the Holy Ghost being one was not in many Greek manuscipts...It is a suspected interpolation around the turn of the 4th into the 5th century...
You know - the part about the Father, Son, and Spirit does not change or contradict anything.

The immediate context is about evidence and testimony, not salvation. The Father, Son, and Spirit are the Ones who testify in heaven about Jesus being the Son of God - that is true whether it's in the text or not. The water, blood, and Spirit are the earthly testimonies.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You know - the part about the Father, Son, and Spirit does not change or contradict anything.

The immediate context is about evidence and testimony, not salvation. The Father, Son, and Spirit are the Ones who testify in heaven about Jesus being the Son of God - that is true whether it's in the text or not. The water, blood, and Spirit are the earthly testimonies.
The Father, Son and Holy Spirit in Heaven as One is an interpolation...

Old 08-23-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The Father, Son and Holy Spirit in Heaven as One is an interpolation...
... in reference to this verse or in general?

Old 08-23-2012, 12:37 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,708 times
Quote:
I'm sure he means in this verse (see my post 12), given his use of the term "interpolation."

However, it doesn't change the doctrine of the Trinity at all. There are plenty of other verses to support it.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:

(LITV)

1Jn 5:7 For there are three bearing witness in Heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.

Notice the greyed out words...Indicative of a suspected interpolation that was not in the original manuscript...I would say that if it were a common belief of the early church then it would have been mentioned in this kind of detail in other letters written by other Apostles

1Jn 5:7 because three are who are testifying in the heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit, and these--the three--are one;
1Jn 5:8 and three are who are testifying in the earth , the Spirit, and the water, and the blood, and the three are into the one.

Notice it also in the Young's Literal translation...

If, as I've noted, it is not an interpolation, then why is it not stated elsewhere in the letters of the Apostles as explicitly as it is here?...In Young's if you take those words out, there is still flow to it:

1Jn 5:7 because three are who are testifying, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood, and the three are into the one.

reading the Greek, I see that the Greek conforms with the YLT...Not so much the LITV...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity